You are not connected. Please login or register

 » Alphabet soup + Anouncements! » Random Thoughts - NON Hockey talk » Tory leader promises $1 beer

Tory leader promises $1 beer

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Tory leader promises $1 beer Empty Tory leader promises $1 beer on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:41 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I guess elections must be just around the corner:

On Monday, party leader Tim Hudak left the door open to return to "a buck a beer" — or $24 per case of 24 beers.

While Hudak wouldn't commit to the policy change, he said rising beer prices "are just one of the many things hitting Ontario families in the pocket."

"I do hear from people who say 'Come on, I can't even get a buck a beer in this province thanks to Dalton McGuinty's policies," said Hudak.

Ontario Finance Minister Dwight Duncan ended the $24 case in late 2008, when he asked the Liquor Control Board of Ontario to hike the minimum price to $25.60 (it has since risen to $25.95 excluding deposits for bottles). A letter released at the time showed Duncan was acceding to a demand by the brewing industry.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ontario+beer+expensive+Tory+leader+says/4238636/story.html#ixzz1DNHKhij8

Quick question: how many of you knew the Tory leader's name before reading this?


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

2Tory leader promises $1 beer Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:47 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I did but that's only because I flip it to 580 CFRA for the 10 minutes before Healthy Scratches starts on my drive home. There was a bit of a kerfuffle over some liberal members switching allegiance to the PC party or something.

3Tory leader promises $1 beer Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:49 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:I guess elections must be just around the corner:

On Monday, party leader Tim Hudak left the door open to return to "a buck a beer" — or $24 per case of 24 beers.

While Hudak wouldn't commit to the policy change, he said rising beer prices "are just one of the many things hitting Ontario families in the pocket."

"I do hear from people who say 'Come on, I can't even get a buck a beer in this province thanks to Dalton McGuinty's policies," said Hudak.

Ontario Finance Minister Dwight Duncan ended the $24 case in late 2008, when he asked the Liquor Control Board of Ontario to hike the minimum price to $25.60 (it has since risen to $25.95 excluding deposits for bottles). A letter released at the time showed Duncan was acceding to a demand by the brewing industry.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ontario+beer+expensive+Tory+leader+says/4238636/story.html#ixzz1DNHKhij8

Quick question: how many of you knew the Tory leader's name before reading this?
No offense intended to anyone, but if the difference between $24 and $25.95 is noticeably "hitting families in the pocket," then perhaps that money is better spent elsewhere.

4Tory leader promises $1 beer Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:53 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I buy my beer in Quebec. Waaaaaaaay cheaper to sustain my drinking habit.

5Tory leader promises $1 beer Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:54 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Good point spader but I think it has a cumulative effect.

6Tory leader promises $1 beer Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:54 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
tim1_2 wrote:I buy my beer in Quebec. Waaaaaaaay cheaper to sustain my drinking habit.
COSTCO Quebec... super wicked cheap.

7Tory leader promises $1 beer Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:55 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
tim1_2 wrote:I buy my beer in Quebec. Waaaaaaaay cheaper to sustain my drinking habit.

Not everyone in Ontario has that luxury.

8Tory leader promises $1 beer Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:56 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Costco isn't bad, but Super C has great sales frequently, and a little hole-in-the-wall corner store dubbed "The King of Beer" is even better...especially with the selection.

9Tory leader promises $1 beer Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:57 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I buy my beer in Quebec. Waaaaaaaay cheaper to sustain my drinking habit.

Not everyone in Ontario has that luxury.

If you own a car and drink a moderate amount of beer, then you’re better served buying your beer in Quebec, a few cases at a time. It’s almost half price in some instances.

Of course, I work in Quebec, so this is very easy for me to say.

10Tory leader promises $1 beer Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:04 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Good point spader but I think it has a cumulative effect.
Isn't that what they were trying to curb?

Wink

The real issue is the crazy prices some of the brands charge... $39.95 for a case of Keiths? Seriously? A case of Corona at $43.95 is pure robbery. A case of Upper Canada Lager or Upper Canada Dark is $29.95, way more reasonable and both better beers IMO. Hell, Maclays @ $28.95 is a pretty damn good beer for the price.

There are some good finds even in the discount brands at The Beer Store:

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/Beers/brandsearch_results.asp?category=Discount+Brands

11Tory leader promises $1 beer Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:05 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
tim1_2 wrote:Costco isn't bad, but Super C has great sales frequently, and a little hole-in-the-wall corner store dubbed "The King of Beer" is even better...especially with the selection.
Yeah, that guy is crazy.

12Tory leader promises $1 beer Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:07 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Would I be wrong to suggest that, drinking beer and alcohol, just like many other things, may be considered a luxury? And that perhaps if some families are suffering with financial problems, perhaps alcohol isn't the best place to be spending your limited amount of money?

This is ,afterall, a major reason prohibition was put into motion. Men were blowing their paychecks at the bar and leaving nothing for their family to live on, meanwhile alcoholism was causing major turmoil.

13Tory leader promises $1 beer Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:28 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
tim1_2 wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I buy my beer in Quebec. Waaaaaaaay cheaper to sustain my drinking habit.

Not everyone in Ontario has that luxury.

If you own a car and drink a moderate amount of beer, then you’re better served buying your beer in Quebec, a few cases at a time. It’s almost half price in some instances.

Of course, I work in Quebec, so this is very easy for me to say.

All I was trying to say is not everyone lives a reasonable distance from Quebec because Ontario is a very large province after all.

14Tory leader promises $1 beer Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:29 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
tim1_2 wrote:I buy my beer in Quebec. Waaaaaaaay cheaper to sustain my drinking habit.

That should be a reason for McGuinty (provincial) to drop the minimum price. They are losing tax revenues to Quebec. And I don't mean just yours, Tim Smile


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

15Tory leader promises $1 beer Empty Re: Tory leader promises $1 beer on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:32 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Dash wrote:Would I be wrong to suggest that, drinking beer and alcohol, just like many other things, may be considered a luxury? And that perhaps if some families are suffering with financial problems, perhaps alcohol isn't the best place to be spending your limited amount of money?

This is ,afterall, a major reason prohibition was put into motion. Men were blowing their paychecks at the bar and leaving nothing for their family to live on, meanwhile alcoholism was causing major turmoil.

Luxury? Pfft. Laughing3 That's like saying Caffeine is a luxury for parents of a new born. Wink

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum