Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Share
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54225
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Post by PTFlea on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:42 am

    Here's an article about Anderson's struggles from Adrian Dater of the Denver Post. It's not iron clad in explaining Anderson's issues in Colorado this year, but I was interested to read it from someone who follows the Avs on a day to day basis:


    http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011/02/20/postgame-avs-sharks-the-grim-march-continues/6552/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+dp-blogs-avalanche+(Denver+Post:+Sports:+Avalanche:+Blog)

    But I still want to second-guess the Craig Anderson deal some.
    I still can’t believe Anderson is gone. He was so great last year, and now he’s gone, traded for a guy who has been terrible all year in Ottawa. Can’t believe that’s all that came of Anderson, after a first year in which he literally carried the team into the playoffs, playing 71 games.

    Moreover, I can’t believe so many Avs fans who threw him under the bus so quickly. So many fans seem to think he “quit” on the team this year. Does anybody have any evidence of that? I sure can’t find any. A lot of people seem to think he had bad “body language” in games this year. Yeah, maybe at times he did, but does that mean he quit on the team? I don’t think he did. And how is a guy supposed look, especially on a night like last Monday, when Calgary was just waltzing into the zone all night, doing anything it wanted? Was Anderson supposed to look happy about that?

    Anderson’s first game for Ottawa tonight was a 47-save shutout in Toronto – a team that has been hot of late. He’s a good goalie. He showed how good he can be last year. His numbers weren’t as good this year – not even close. Yes, he deserved his share of criticism for that. But, good lord, you just want to give up on him like that, by dealing him off to Ottawa for a marginal talent? That’s the deal that I think will really haunt this team.

    I think the Avs should have kept Anderson, started over with a new defense and go from there. Sorry, but I’m an Anderson guy. I think this: I think Anderson DID feel less wanted this year, after the Avs didn’t give the time of day to his agent toward talks on a new contract. I think that maybe affected him somewhat. I think the Avs are too non-communicative to their players sometimes, and this was one time.

    Is that an excuse for Anderson’s play here this year? It shouldn’t be. But I think it was a small factor. But BY FAR the bigger factors in his poor numbers were a total meltdown of the defense in front of him, combined with another rash of injuries, including a couple to himself. The guy needed a little more time to come back from that knee injury probably. He seemed bothered by that knee even after he returned.

    Then he had a couple of bad games, and suddenly he was in a rotation basis with Peter Budaj. That’s where I split with the coaching decisions from there on the goaltending. I still think Anderson needed another bunch of games to play by himself before he started to be in a platoon position with a guy who has NEVER proven himself as a No. 1.

    I think Anderson was misused toward the end of his stay here, and I don’t think he deserved that. He just gave the team way too much last year to warrant such a quick toss aside, like he was just any other guy. I think the Avs should have talked more than they did with him about a new contract. If they would have been off on the numbers, so be it, but at least they would have talked and shown him they cared more than they did. How would you feel after a great year in which you were underpaid in the relative sense, hoping to maybe at least be talked to about an extension as a reward, only to get nothing?

    Why would Avalanche management do that to a guy who was so critical to their success last year? I don’t get it and I don’t agree with it. That’s my take, and you’re all perfectly free to disagree with it and tell me why here and now.
    avatar
    Hockeyhero22000
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 4060
    Location : drifting
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

    Re: Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Post by Hockeyhero22000 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:50 am

    well that certainly is encouraging and worrisome at the same time i didnt realize the issue with his knee
    avatar
    CockRoche
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2007
    Age : 40
    Location : Parts Unknown
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-04-04

    Re: Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Post by CockRoche on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:55 am

    Good opinions in that article.

    We all know that Anderson in capable of being a starter (or we should at least). Anderson is a very good goalie, moreso than Elliott would ever have the potential for? I think so.

    What I don't like is the risk of the UFA status and the short time-frame in which to get the proper read on the things that are troubling Anderson this season.

    What happens if the Sens make the wrong evaluation? There are many options to consider.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54225
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Post by PTFlea on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:23 pm

    CockRoche wrote:Good opinions in that article.

    We all know that Anderson in capable of being a starter (or we should at least). Anderson is a very good goalie, moreso than Elliott would ever have the potential for? I think so.

    What I don't like is the risk of the UFA status and the short time-frame in which to get the proper read on the things that are troubling Anderson this season.

    What happens if the Sens make the wrong evaluation? There are many options to consider.

    If we're not pursuing Bryzgalov or Vokoun, then I guess he's the next best option. I really enjoyed watching Anderson throughout the years - especially in Florida where he stole Vokoun's job for a while if I remember right, I think this year's a LOT like Elliott for Ottawa, confidence way down, coming back from an injury, win and your in mentality from Sacco. I strongly think Murray already has an idea that he wants to sign Anderson for 2.2-2.5 X 2 - and that he'll do it before the deadline. That's my opinion.
    avatar
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 9235
    Age : 40
    Location : Mississauga
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

    Re: Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Post by Hoags on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:32 pm

    I'd sign him for 3 minimum, $2.5M-ish. Hell I'd be willing to give $3M, no more joke goaltending in Ottawa, that's worth $500,000 easily.

    No way of knowing if Lehner will be ready in 2 years, not to mention he should steal the job from an established goalie and not have the job ready and waiting for him.

    I really don't feel too comfortable with us putting all our eggs in the Lehner basketand apointing him our future savior. Lehner should be in the AHL and he should dominate down there and show he can do it, not get it by default because the Sens can't find goaltending elsewhere.
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 37
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Post by rooneypoo on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:37 pm

    Considering our cap space (tons) and lack of options (as I've been saying for months, I just can't see Vokoun or Bryzgalov signing here), Anderson definitely has to be our #1 target. If he plays decently and we sign him for $2-3 mil per, 2 years, that's all fine with me. I'm not sure that he's the solution, but he the best option we have right now.
    avatar
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1848
    Age : 49
    Location : Charleston
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

    Re: Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Post by Oglethorpe on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:39 pm

    CockRoche wrote:Good opinions in that article.

    We all know that Anderson in capable of being a starter (or we should at least). Anderson is a very good goalie, moreso than Elliott would ever have the potential for? I think so.

    What I don't like is the risk of the UFA status and the short time-frame in which to get the proper read on the things that are troubling Anderson this season.

    What happens if the Sens make the wrong evaluation? There are many options to consider.
    With only one goalie under contract for next season, I think Anderson needs to be signed regardless. Is he my first option, no, that would be Bryzgalov, but he may have been my second option this summer. If Murray can get him under contract for a reasonable price and term, say 2M x 3 years, then I like the deal. We are rebuilding, we don't need Luongo to rebuild and a contract like the one I stated would allow the Sens to watch the development of Lehner and also grab a bonafide star goalie if the opportunity presents itself.
    avatar
    CockRoche
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2007
    Age : 40
    Location : Parts Unknown
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-04-04

    Re: Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Post by CockRoche on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:43 pm

    SpezDispenser wrote:
    CockRoche wrote:Good opinions in that article.

    We all know that Anderson in capable of being a starter (or we should at least). Anderson is a very good goalie, moreso than Elliott would ever have the potential for? I think so.

    What I don't like is the risk of the UFA status and the short time-frame in which to get the proper read on the things that are troubling Anderson this season.

    What happens if the Sens make the wrong evaluation? There are many options to consider.

    If we're not pursuing Bryzgalov or Vokoun, then I guess he's the next best option. I really enjoyed watching Anderson throughout the years - especially in Florida where he stole Vokoun's job for a while if I remember right, I think this year's a LOT like Elliott for Ottawa, confidence way down, coming back from an injury, win and your in mentality from Sacco. I strongly think Murray already has an idea that he wants to sign Anderson for 2.2-2.5 X 2 - and that he'll do it before the deadline. That's my opinion.

    If that happens, it turns into a fantastic deal.

    For all my talk about Anderson struggling this season and the reasons why, it could just simply be the fact that the Avs didn't want to try a negotiate a new deal with him during the current season. Anderson has jumped around a lot in his career and the prospect of maybe moving again, could have hampered his play. Ottawa would be crazy to not to lock more than Lehner up for next season, haha. Anderson may have been on there radar for quite awhile and this may be a way to get him cheap because of his play this season.

    Another thing that may have hurt Anderson is the lack of a quality goalie coach in Colorado. That coach provides an avenue to get an outside look on Anderson and when he should have maybe taken a step back from games due to his injuries. Maybe Anderson noticed that in his play, hence the personal leave he took. Without a goalie caoch, it is up to the goalie himself to communicate how he feels to his coach; players don't normally have an unbiased view of themselves.

    Lots of ifs. Signing Anderson would take away so many of them and the sole focus would then become regaining Anderson's confidence and form.
    avatar
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 9235
    Age : 40
    Location : Mississauga
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

    Re: Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Post by Hoags on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:45 pm

    The Sens could easily make a wrong evaluation on any of the FA goalies out there. With Anderson we have a much better chance of making the right call.

    I'd put Anderson as #3 FA goalie behind Bryz and Vokoun, there's a steep drop off after that this summer.
    avatar
    CockRoche
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2007
    Age : 40
    Location : Parts Unknown
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-04-04

    Re: Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Post by CockRoche on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:48 pm

    Oglethorpe wrote:
    CockRoche wrote:Good opinions in that article.

    We all know that Anderson in capable of being a starter (or we should at least). Anderson is a very good goalie, moreso than Elliott would ever have the potential for? I think so.

    What I don't like is the risk of the UFA status and the short time-frame in which to get the proper read on the things that are troubling Anderson this season.

    What happens if the Sens make the wrong evaluation? There are many options to consider.
    With only one goalie under contract for next season, I think Anderson needs to be signed regardless. Is he my first option, no, that would be Bryzgalov, but he may have been my second option this summer. If Murray can get him under contract for a reasonable price and term, say 2M x 3 years, then I like the deal. We are rebuilding, we don't need Luongo to rebuild and a contract like the one I stated would allow the Sens to watch the development of Lehner and also grab a bonafide star goalie if the opportunity presents itself.

    You might as well add this to my posts as well. The second time today I have said that about one of your posts.

    One thing I might disagree with, is the scenario where Anderson becomes the backup with a price tag of $2M per.
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 37
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Post by rooneypoo on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:52 pm

    Hoags wrote:The Sens could easily make a wrong evaluation on any of the FA goalies out there. With Anderson we have a much better chance of making the right call.

    I'd put Anderson as #3 FA goalie behind Bryz and Vokoun, there's a steep drop off after that this summer.

    Definitely. It's a Cussing blackhole after those three. If Anderson plays like he can down the stretch, & we can get him to sign a 2-3 year deal for $2-3 mil per, just do it. No big name goalie is going to want to come to a rebuilding team, and it doesn't make sense to overpay for one on the UFA market anyway; and it certainly doesn't make sense to trade away assets on a rebuilding team to acquire a big name goalie.

    This is the Martin Biron trade to & then signing with PHI scenario, but for the year 2011. It's the move that made the most sense for a rebuilding PHI then, just like it's the move that makes the most sense for a rebuilding OTT now.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54225
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Post by PTFlea on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:01 pm

    rooneypoo wrote:
    Definitely. It's a Cussing blackhole after those three. If Anderson plays like he can down the stretch, & we can get him to sign a 2-3 year deal for $2-3 mil per, just do it. No big name goalie is going to want to come to a rebuilding team, and it doesn't make sense to overpay for one on the UFA market anyway; and it certainly doesn't make sense to trade away assets on a rebuilding team to acquire a big name goalie.

    This is the Martin Biron trade to & then signing with PHI scenario, but for the year 2011. It's the move that made the most sense for a rebuilding PHI then, just like it's the move that makes the most sense for a rebuilding OTT now.

    Yep, you might as well do it now, otherwise Anderson will end up in Philly - a place where he should have been traded to instead of us if Holmgren made the right move if you want my opinion. He's a quality guy, we've scouted the hell out of him in Florida and Colorado, we knew what we were signing up for. Leaves you a little wiggle room to sign someone like Hedberg or Clemmenson for example and that's that until Lehner can assume backup duties. Sign away.
    avatar
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5005
    Location : Alberta
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

    Re: Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Post by hemlock on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:06 pm

    rooneypoo wrote:
    Hoags wrote:The Sens could easily make a wrong evaluation on any of the FA goalies out there. With Anderson we have a much better chance of making the right call.

    I'd put Anderson as #3 FA goalie behind Bryz and Vokoun, there's a steep drop off after that this summer.

    Definitely. It's a Cussing blackhole after those three. If Anderson plays like he can down the stretch, & we can get him to sign a 2-3 year deal for $2-3 mil per, just do it. No big name goalie is going to want to come to a rebuilding team, and it doesn't make sense to overpay for one on the UFA market anyway; and it certainly doesn't make sense to trade away assets on a rebuilding team to acquire a big name goalie.

    This is the Martin Biron trade to & then signing with PHI scenario, but for the year 2011. It's the move that made the most sense for a rebuilding PHI then, just like it's the move that makes the most sense for a rebuilding OTT now.

    The Martin Biron analogy makes a whole lot of sense. If he plays reasonably well, I'd easily be happy with signing him for $2-3 million. After seeing last nights game though, I think we can have the best of both worlds: Great goaltending, and not enough offence to jeopardize our draft standing. Laugh1
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 37
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Post by rooneypoo on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:11 pm

    hemlock wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    Hoags wrote:The Sens could easily make a wrong evaluation on any of the FA goalies out there. With Anderson we have a much better chance of making the right call.

    I'd put Anderson as #3 FA goalie behind Bryz and Vokoun, there's a steep drop off after that this summer.

    Definitely. It's a Cussing blackhole after those three. If Anderson plays like he can down the stretch, & we can get him to sign a 2-3 year deal for $2-3 mil per, just do it. No big name goalie is going to want to come to a rebuilding team, and it doesn't make sense to overpay for one on the UFA market anyway; and it certainly doesn't make sense to trade away assets on a rebuilding team to acquire a big name goalie.

    This is the Martin Biron trade to & then signing with PHI scenario, but for the year 2011. It's the move that made the most sense for a rebuilding PHI then, just like it's the move that makes the most sense for a rebuilding OTT now.

    The Martin Biron analogy makes a whole lot of sense. If he plays reasonably well, I'd easily be happy with signing him for $2-3 million. After seeing last nights game though, I think we can have the best of both worlds: Great goaltending, and not enough offence to jeopardize our draft standing. Laugh1

    It certainly would be nice to have one glaring hole addressed so we can turn to all the other things that need addressing, that's for sure.

    Again, BM targeted the best goalie available (i.e., pending UFA) who he could reasonable expect to be able to sign. If it works out, this is among the best trades BM has ever made, & and I say that while acknowledging I was a fan of Elliott & one of his few steady supporters. If it doesn't work out, it was a risk that needed taking -- and we can secure another backup of equal ability or so, for about the same price & term that we would have paid Elliott either way.

    I don't understand how or why people could view this move in any other light.
    avatar
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5005
    Location : Alberta
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

    Re: Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Post by hemlock on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:25 pm

    rooneypoo wrote:
    hemlock wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    Hoags wrote:The Sens could easily make a wrong evaluation on any of the FA goalies out there. With Anderson we have a much better chance of making the right call.

    I'd put Anderson as #3 FA goalie behind Bryz and Vokoun, there's a steep drop off after that this summer.

    Definitely. It's a Cussing blackhole after those three. If Anderson plays like he can down the stretch, & we can get him to sign a 2-3 year deal for $2-3 mil per, just do it. No big name goalie is going to want to come to a rebuilding team, and it doesn't make sense to overpay for one on the UFA market anyway; and it certainly doesn't make sense to trade away assets on a rebuilding team to acquire a big name goalie.

    This is the Martin Biron trade to & then signing with PHI scenario, but for the year 2011. It's the move that made the most sense for a rebuilding PHI then, just like it's the move that makes the most sense for a rebuilding OTT now.

    The Martin Biron analogy makes a whole lot of sense. If he plays reasonably well, I'd easily be happy with signing him for $2-3 million. After seeing last nights game though, I think we can have the best of both worlds: Great goaltending, and not enough offence to jeopardize our draft standing. Laugh1

    It certainly would be nice to have one glaring hole addressed so we can turn to all the other things that need addressing, that's for sure.

    Again, BM targeted the best goalie available (i.e., pending UFA) who he could reasonable expect to be able to sign. If it works out, this is among the best trades BM has ever made, & and I say that while acknowledging I was a fan of Elliott & one of his few steady supporters. If it doesn't work out, it was a risk that needed taking -- and we can secure another backup of equal ability or so, for about the same price & term that we would have paid Elliott either way.

    I don't understand how or why people could view this move in any other light.

    My reservations were solely based on him hurting our draft standing, which doesn't seem likely. 100% agree with your take though.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:29 am