You are not connected. Please login or register

 » Alphabet soup + Anouncements! » Random Thoughts - NON Hockey talk » New rules for new members

New rules for new members

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 8]

16New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:21 pm

Guest


Guest
Is this address ok dirtydave@SSF.com?

17New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:22 pm

PTFlea


Co-Founder
Co-Founder
strachattack wrote:I joined using a gmail account so I take it this isn't going to work retroactively?

Definitely not working retroactively.

18New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:23 pm

SeawaySensFan


Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DirtyDave wrote:Is this address ok dirtydave@SSF.com?

FIAL

19New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:41 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I would recommend that the "real" e-mail account be used simply to join up, and that the "free" e-mail account should still be allowed to be used in the profile.

I've had my @aim e-mail account ever since it was an @netscape account. In that time my work e-mail has changed at least 5 times (once while still @newbridge.com -- they went from userid@newbridge.com to first.last@newbridge.com, then when we became @alcatel.com, then @alcatel-lucent.com, then my stint with the Feds, and now my latest job). That, plus the fact that I don't want to receive "New private message has arrived" messages on my work account.

Anyhow, that's my 5-cents' worth.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

20New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:44 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
SpezDispenser wrote:From here on, we will need new members to:

a) [1] be sponsored by an existing member who's been active with GMHockey as a poster for at *least* 6 months. If we don't recognize the sponsor, we as Admins have the right to decline the new member based on that alone.

b)no hotmail accounts, real e-mail accounts only. Reduces any risks of members joining to spam etc.

So that's that then, something we've been talking about for a while now has come into effect - if for no other reason than [2] to protect the site from any kind of malicious and/or predatory behavior.

borrowing Roche's style here...

[1] doesn't that limit new membership fairly severely? I came across this site in a google search (and signed up with my hotmail, the only email i have). I wouldn't be here if you'd passed these rules a year and a half ago. Don't we want more people coming to the boards?

[2] is that a danger? Did I miss something, or are we just protecting against the possibilityof someone spamming and/or preying on our vulnerable membership?

I don't get it. Wouldn't it be easy for a mod to toss someone that's being a Richard? Why do we have to be an exclusive club?


21New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:46 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
spader wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:From here on, we will need new members to:

a) [1] be sponsored by an existing member who's been active with GMHockey as a poster for at *least* 6 months. If we don't recognize the sponsor, we as Admins have the right to decline the new member based on that alone.

b)no hotmail accounts, real e-mail accounts only. Reduces any risks of members joining to spam etc.

So that's that then, something we've been talking about for a while now has come into effect - if for no other reason than [2] to protect the site from any kind of malicious and/or predatory behavior.

borrowing Roche's style here...

[1] doesn't that limit new membership fairly severely? I came across this site in a google search (and signed up with my hotmail, the only email i have). I wouldn't be here if you'd passed these rules a year and a half ago. Don't we want more people coming to the boards?

[2] is that a danger? Did I miss something, or are we just protecting against the possibilityof someone spamming and/or preying on our vulnerable membership?

I don't get it. Wouldn't it be easy for a mod to toss someone that's being a Richard? Why do we have to be an exclusive club?



Funny you should mention him of all people... Laugh1

22New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:47 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Any Roche sightings?

23New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I wouldn't use a work e-mail or school e-mail because I don't want it flooded with those ridiculous reply notifications.

24New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:59 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Big Ev wrote:I wouldn't use a work e-mail or school e-mail because I don't want it flooded with those ridiculous reply notifications.

... which you can turn off very easily.

Profile
Preferences
Always notify me of replies


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

25New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:02 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
Big Ev wrote:I wouldn't use a work e-mail or school e-mail because I don't want it flooded with those ridiculous reply notifications.

LOL. Cussing awesome profile pic. I just watched that episode a few weeks ago.

26New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran
How wold one go about getting sponsered

27New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I wouldn't use a work e-mail or school e-mail because I don't want it flooded with those ridiculous reply notifications.

... which you can turn off very easily.

Profile
Preferences
Always notify me of replies

Yep, I did that, but I still get the notifications. Only on certain threads, though.

28New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
rooneypoo wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I wouldn't use a work e-mail or school e-mail because I don't want it flooded with those ridiculous reply notifications.

LOL. Cussing awesome profile pic. I just watched that episode a few weeks ago.

New rules for new members - Page 2 5A74C8636AFA4DF88518A2_Large

Haha, sorry a bit off topic Sarcasm

29New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
spader wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:From here on, we will need new members to:

a) [1] be sponsored by an existing member who's been active with GMHockey as a poster for at *least* 6 months. If we don't recognize the sponsor, we as Admins have the right to decline the new member based on that alone.

b)no hotmail accounts, real e-mail accounts only. Reduces any risks of members joining to spam etc.

So that's that then, something we've been talking about for a while now has come into effect - if for no other reason than [2] to protect the site from any kind of malicious and/or predatory behavior.

borrowing Roche's style here...

[1] doesn't that limit new membership fairly severely? I came across this site in a google search (and signed up with my hotmail, the only email i have). I wouldn't be here if you'd passed these rules a year and a half ago. Don't we want more people coming to the boards?

[2] is that a danger? Did I miss something, or are we just protecting against the possibilityof someone spamming and/or preying on our vulnerable membership?

I don't get it. Wouldn't it be easy for a mod to toss someone that's being a Richard? Why do we have to be an exclusive club?



Good point.

The registration page has not changed yet, and the registration process is not going to change without changes to the code (i.e. not going to happen). So, at the end of the day, the registration request will have to be processed by a mod. If we enforce the no-free-email rule we should be OK, I think.

We also have a facebook account now. Maybe Dash can figure out a way of using that, somehow, to vet new members?


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

30New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:13 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Big Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I wouldn't use a work e-mail or school e-mail because I don't want it flooded with those ridiculous reply notifications.

... which you can turn off very easily.

Profile
Preferences
Always notify me of replies

Yep, I did that, but I still get the notifications. Only on certain threads, though.

Probably because you are watching those threads.

Profile
Topics being watched
Mark all
Stop watching the selected topics


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

31New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:14 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Hockeyhero22000 wrote: How wold one go about getting sponsered

Hello.


My name is John.


It's been three weeks since I've posted on a message board.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

32New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:16 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
hmm I'm gonna agree with spader (and to an extent, penguins fanboy). You're just driving more ppl away and if I also had to enter my corporate email at the time of registration, then I wouldn't join

33New rules for new members - Page 2 Empty Re: New rules for new members on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:17 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Big Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I wouldn't use a work e-mail or school e-mail because I don't want it flooded with those ridiculous reply notifications.

LOL. Cussing awesome profile pic. I just watched that episode a few weeks ago.

New rules for new members - Page 2 5A74C8636AFA4DF88518A2_Large

Haha, sorry a bit off topic Sarcasm

Not off topic at all. The picture illustrates a new member being sponsored by two existing ones. You can fill-in the names of the two from your foes list.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum