Is this address ok dirtydave@SSF.com?

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54588
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: New rules for new members

Post by PTFlea on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:22 pm

strachattack wrote:I joined using a gmail account so I take it this isn't going to work retroactively?

Definitely not working retroactively.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:23 pm

DirtyDave wrote:Is this address ok dirtydave@SSF.com?

FIAL
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48187
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:41 pm

I would recommend that the "real" e-mail account be used simply to join up, and that the "free" e-mail account should still be allowed to be used in the profile.

I've had my @aim e-mail account ever since it was an @netscape account. In that time my work e-mail has changed at least 5 times (once while still @newbridge.com -- they went from userid@newbridge.com to first.last@newbridge.com, then when we became @alcatel.com, then @alcatel-lucent.com, then my stint with the Feds, and now my latest job). That, plus the fact that I don't want to receive "New private message has arrived" messages on my work account.

Anyhow, that's my 5-cents' worth.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:44 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:From here on, we will need new members to:

a) [1] be sponsored by an existing member who's been active with GMHockey as a poster for at *least* 6 months. If we don't recognize the sponsor, we as Admins have the right to decline the new member based on that alone.

b)no hotmail accounts, real e-mail accounts only. Reduces any risks of members joining to spam etc.

So that's that then, something we've been talking about for a while now has come into effect - if for no other reason than [2] to protect the site from any kind of malicious and/or predatory behavior.

borrowing Roche's style here...

[1] doesn't that limit new membership fairly severely? I came across this site in a google search (and signed up with my hotmail, the only email i have). I wouldn't be here if you'd passed these rules a year and a half ago. Don't we want more people coming to the boards?

[2] is that a danger? Did I miss something, or are we just protecting against the possibilityof someone spamming and/or preying on our vulnerable membership?

I don't get it. Wouldn't it be easy for a mod to toss someone that's being a Richard? Why do we have to be an exclusive club?

rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7429
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:46 pm

spader wrote:

a) [1] be sponsored by an existing member who's been active with GMHockey as a poster for at *least* 6 months. If we don't recognize the sponsor, we as Admins have the right to decline the new member based on that alone.

b)no hotmail accounts, real e-mail accounts only. Reduces any risks of members joining to spam etc.

So that's that then, something we've been talking about for a while now has come into effect - if for no other reason than [2] to protect the site from any kind of malicious and/or predatory behavior.

[1] doesn't that limit new membership fairly severely? I came across this site in a google search (and signed up with my hotmail, the only email i have). I wouldn't be here if you'd passed these rules a year and a half ago. Don't we want more people coming to the boards?

[2] is that a danger? Did I miss something, or are we just protecting against the possibilityof someone spamming and/or preying on our vulnerable membership?

I don't get it. Wouldn't it be easy for a mod to toss someone that's being a Richard? Why do we have to be an exclusive club?

Funny you should mention him of all people... Laugh1
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:47 pm

Any Roche sightings?
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20942
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:48 pm

I wouldn't use a work e-mail or school e-mail because I don't want it flooded with those ridiculous reply notifications.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:59 pm

Big Ev wrote:I wouldn't use a work e-mail or school e-mail because I don't want it flooded with those ridiculous reply notifications.

... which you can turn off very easily.

Preferences
    Always notify me of replies

rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7429
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:02 pm

Big Ev wrote:I wouldn't use a work e-mail or school e-mail because I don't want it flooded with those ridiculous reply notifications.

LOL. Cussing awesome profile pic. I just watched that episode a few weeks ago.
    Hockeyhero22000
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 4062
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Hockeyhero22000 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:07 pm

How wold one go about getting sponsered
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:07 pm

wprager wrote:

Preferences

Yep, I did that, but I still get the notifications. Only on certain threads, though.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:08 pm

rooneypoo wrote:

Haha, sorry a bit off topic Sarcasm
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:11 pm

spader wrote:

Good point.

The registration page has not changed yet, and the registration process is not going to change without changes to the code (i.e. not going to happen). So, at the end of the day, the registration request will have to be processed by a mod. If we enforce the no-free-email rule we should be OK, I think.

We also have a facebook account now. Maybe Dash can figure out a way of using that, somehow, to vet new members?

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Big Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Preferences

Yep, I did that, but I still get the notifications. Only on certain threads, though.

Probably because you are watching those threads.

Topics being watched
    Mark all
    Stop watching the selected topics

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:14 pm

Hockeyhero22000 wrote: How wold one go about getting sponsered

Hello.

My name is John.

It's been three weeks since I've posted on a message board.

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:16 pm

hmm I'm gonna agree with spader (and to an extent, penguins fanboy). You're just driving more ppl away and if I also had to enter my corporate email at the time of registration, then I wouldn't join
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Big Ev wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:

Haha, sorry a bit off topic Sarcasm

Not off topic at all. The picture illustrates a new member being sponsored by two existing ones. You can fill-in the names of the two from your foes list.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:44 pm