New Plasma TV

    Share

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49248
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by wprager on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:12 pm

    Netflix and Prime built in. That'll be more important when I get it hanging downstairs (I've got my Roku in the bedroom).

    Also downstairs it will be wired. I think the reason I want completely blown away by Planet Earth 4K was the wifi.

    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21497
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by Ev on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:24 pm

    wprager wrote:Netflix and Prime built in. That'll be more important when I get it hanging downstairs (I've got my Roku in the bedroom).

    Also downstairs it will be wired. I think the reason I want completely blown away by Planet Earth 4K was the wifi.

    I don't know if you plan on buying one, as it's not necessary right now, but 4K blu rays are much better than streaming 4k.

    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 17126
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by tim1_2 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:05 pm

    Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:Netflix and Prime built in. That'll be more important when I get it hanging downstairs (I've got my Roku in the bedroom).

    Also downstairs it will be wired. I think the reason I want completely blown away by Planet Earth 4K was the wifi.

    I don't know if you plan on buying one, as it's not necessary right now, but 4K blu rays are much better than streaming 4k.

    But then you would need 4K Blu Rays? Physical media should go bye bye.
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21497
    Age : 27
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by Ev on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:29 pm

    tim1_2 wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:Netflix and Prime built in. That'll be more important when I get it hanging downstairs (I've got my Roku in the bedroom).

    Also downstairs it will be wired. I think the reason I want completely blown away by Planet Earth 4K was the wifi.

    I don't know if you plan on buying one, as it's not necessary right now, but 4K blu rays are much better than streaming 4k.

    But then you would need 4K Blu Rays? Physical media should go bye bye.

    Ill take quality over streaming. Discs are quality.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49248
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by wprager on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:30 pm

    I hardly watch any movies any more. I certainly don't but any more. Last shiny disk I got was Mary Poppins on Blu Ray - it was a Christmas present a year or two ago.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49248
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by wprager on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:37 pm

    Watching Team Canada now. Looks HD. I didn't expect it to look any better, I'm just glad it doesn't look worse. I don't know how you can screw up upscaling to 4k (just double quadruple each pixel) but some sets are known for being pretty poor at up-scaling. We were picking up a media stand at Leon's a few weeks ago and I checked their TVs. Several 4k sets had TSN HD on, and it looked really bad. And done of those sets were not RCA or Sanyo (I think there was even a Sony in the mix).

    Anyhow, HD looks good. Maybe I can play with the settings and see if Motion Rate 360 makes any difference.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21497
    Age : 27
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by Ev on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:18 pm

    wprager wrote:Watching Team Canada now. Looks HD. I didn't expect it to look any better, I'm just glad it doesn't look worse. I don't know how you can screw up upscaling to 4k (just double quadruple each pixel) but some sets are known for being pretty poor at up-scaling. We were picking up a media stand at Leon's a few weeks ago and I checked their TVs. Several 4k sets had TSN HD on, and it looked really bad. And done of those sets were not RCA or Sanyo (I think there was even a Sony in the mix).

    Anyhow, HD looks good. Maybe I can play with the settings and see if Motion Rate 360 makes any difference.

    I have the actual tsn 4K channel and it looks great. TV channels wont look great because they arent even 1080p. Especially on crappy store model settings. Check out rtings.com who will have settings for your tv
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49248
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by wprager on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:23 pm

    Sorry, not Motion Rate (I think that's Samsung). Vizio calls theirs Clear Action. But because it's only a 60 Hz display they play with the backlight instead of using the native 120 Hz to interpolate and insert a new frame. This doesn't produce the soap opera when I hate but I also did not see any noticeable improvement. Picture is less bright, overall, as the backlight is repeatedly turned off.

    My old set is a 120Hz so its motion interpolation results in a pretty strong soap opera effect.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49248
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by wprager on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:35 pm

    Ev wrote:

    I have the actual tsn 4K channel and it looks great. TV channels wont look great because they arent even 1080p. Especially on crappy store model settings. Check out rtings.com who will have settings for your tv

    I won't be able to get TSN 4k without paying extra for a 4k capable box. That's not gonna happen.

    What settings are you taking about? Are you saying rtings.com has calibration strings? Where? I remember finding calibration settings got my old set and, to be frank, they weren't any better than what I got just playing with the various settings.



    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24789
    Age : 46
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:20 am

    tim1_2 wrote:Hey, it's SSF! Welcome back, old friend! Hope all is well.

    Could be better, could be worse. Smile

    StickmanDancing
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24789
    Age : 46
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:21 am

    wprager wrote:I got a Roku "stick". I guess it doesn't do 4K but does pretty much all else. Stick it on behind the tv, the remote doesn't need line of sight. Just $50.

    The tv itself comes with a built in Chromecast. Ugh. But at least we all have Android phone phone's, and they have a sw upgrade so launching apps like Netflix uses the tv remote and menus.

    The P-series is DLNA.

    I was going for the stick but they were out of those. I overspent because I wanted something right away. I regret nothing... Laugh1
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21497
    Age : 27
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by Ev on Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:23 am

    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:

    I have the actual tsn 4K channel and it looks great. TV channels wont look great because they arent even 1080p. Especially on crappy store model settings. Check out rtings.com who will have settings for your tv

    I won't be able to get TSN 4k without paying extra for a 4k capable box. That's not gonna happen.

    What settings are you taking about? Are you saying rtings.com has calibration strings? Where? I remember finding calibration settings got my old set and, to be frank, they weren't any better than what I got just playing with the various settings.


    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-xled-2017/settings
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 17126
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by tim1_2 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:36 am

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    wprager wrote:I got a Roku "stick". I guess it doesn't do 4K but does pretty much all else. Stick it on behind the tv, the remote doesn't need line of sight. Just $50.

    The tv itself comes with a built in Chromecast. Ugh. But at least we all have Android phone phone's, and they have a sw upgrade so launching apps like Netflix uses the tv remote and menus.

    The P-series is DLNA.

    I was going for the stick but they were out of those. I overspent because I wanted something right away. I regret nothing... Laugh1


    I have two Roku boxes and they are great. Even better when you start running Plex on your PC to handle all your "downloaded media" and then getting the Plex app on the Roku.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49248
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by wprager on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:43 pm

    I love Roku.


    Buuuut....

    There is no Crave TV app, no Amazon Prime (which is weird, because they have it on Roku in the US), and no streaming of generic web content.



    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49248
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by wprager on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:26 pm

    Well, the new TV is finally having in the family room. And the 55" is in the bedroom. I won't have trouble reading the guide.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24789
    Age : 46
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:36 am

    tim1_2 wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    wprager wrote:I got a Roku "stick". I guess it doesn't do 4K but does pretty much all else. Stick it on behind the tv, the remote doesn't need line of sight. Just $50.

    The tv itself comes with a built in Chromecast. Ugh. But at least we all have Android phone phone's, and they have a sw upgrade so launching apps like Netflix uses the tv remote and menus.

    The P-series is DLNA.

    I was going for the stick but they were out of those. I overspent because I wanted something right away. I regret nothing... Laugh1


    I have two Roku boxes and they are great. Even better when you start running Plex on your PC to handle all your "downloaded media" and then getting the Plex app on the Roku.

    I feel like a fool for not finding this thing sooner. I really like Spaghetti Westerns and this gives me access to about 100. So far all are nice widescreen prints. Also, it works great for NHL.tv which is the main reason I got it.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49248
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by wprager on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:08 am

    Anyone have experience with cheaper sound bars? I liked the doing of the Bose Solo at Costco, but the price jumped about $40 and I don't think the sound difference is worth it. It's also like to get a little more separation.

    Does anyone have experience with sooner of the cheaper sound bars out there? I would probably just stick with the older LG bar we have (with wireless sub) but I can't get it to work with the Rogers remote.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 17126
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by tim1_2 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12 pm

    I bought this super cheap Samsung sound bar two years ago for my bedroom TV and it's done the job very nicely: http://secure1.ncix.com/products/?sku=106588 (Samsung HW-J250)

    It's certainly nothing fancy, but does have Bluetooth which has been helpful a couple times. I think I paid about $120 on sale.

    If you want to check out a decent online store for home theatre stuff, including sound bars, Gibbys is actually pretty good:

    https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/product-category/tv-video/tv-sound/sound-bars/


    Sponsored content

    Re: New Plasma TV

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:16 am