GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 67]

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
NEELY wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:This was a freak accident, if the league changed the rules every time something like this happened the game would look completely different.

Unpopular opinion? Maybe. Put me on the league's side though.

All I am saying is if the league wants accidents like this one to stop along with headshots, hitting needs to be taken out of the game. I'm not saying whether that's what I believe or not (I don't for the record), all I am saying is that's the only way to stop it and yes, the game would be completely different and I probably wouldn't watch that game.

That wasn't directed at you, I feel like we're on the same page on this one.

I'm definitely a hockey purist which is where my opinion is coming from. It may not be right, but I can't see myself following the game as closely if it becomes Olympic-esque. And to be honest I feel like most of the players would be upset if massive changes are put in place because of this.

NEELY

Mod
Mod
stempniaksen wrote:
NEELY wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:This was a freak accident, if the league changed the rules every time something like this happened the game would look completely different.

Unpopular opinion? Maybe. Put me on the league's side though.

All I am saying is if the league wants accidents like this one to stop along with headshots, hitting needs to be taken out of the game. I'm not saying whether that's what I believe or not (I don't for the record), all I am saying is that's the only way to stop it and yes, the game would be completely different and I probably wouldn't watch that game.

That wasn't directed at you, I feel like we're on the same page on this one.

I'm definitely a hockey purist which is where my opinion is coming from. It may not be right, but I can't see myself following the game as closely if it becomes Olympic-esque. And to be honest I feel like most of the players would be upset if massive changes are put in place because of this.

I agree and the fact of the matter is you can be killed by a line drive in baseball, you can be killed coming down on your head in baseketball, and hockey and football you can be killed by a hit. Players take the risk of putting their lives on the line every night, in every sport for people entertainement, there will always be risk and there will always be accidents. Chara's hit was one of those unfortunate accidents that happen.

PS I've tried to put a guy into the end of the glass on purpose as a D man as do a lot of other guys. You usually want to hurt the guy, not injure him, that's my opinion on what happened here. You don't think when you are out there, if a guy slashed me and I could get back at him within the rules of the game, even a bit outside of them, 100% sure fire bet I was going to.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
NEELY wrote:PS I've tried to put a guy into the end of the glass on purpose as a D man as do a lot of other guys. You usually want to hurt the guy, not injure him, that's my opinion on what happened here. You don't think when you are out there, if a guy slashed me and I could get back at him within the rules of the game, even a bit outside of them, 100% sure fire bet I was going to.

Like young Jason York, for example?

NEELY

Mod
Mod
SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:PS I've tried to put a guy into the end of the glass on purpose as a D man as do a lot of other guys. You usually want to hurt the guy, not injure him, that's my opinion on what happened here. You don't think when you are out there, if a guy slashed me and I could get back at him within the rules of the game, even a bit outside of them, 100% sure fire bet I was going to.

Umm, not sure I get this reference.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore
If I can add my 2 cents, I agree that I've angled a guy into the glass in that area before, as has many others. Do I believe he did it on purpose, yes. Do I believe he had the intent to injure him. NO.

I can only speak for myself and a small handful of others that have played Defense and have been in that position, but my expectation was always that they guy would stop. He knew he had 2 options.

1. Stop and go the other way
2. Keep going and eat some glass.

Looking back the risk for severe injury was there and knowing what I do now, I'm not sure I would have done it.

You can already hear Don Cherry, Why isn't the glass angled there to force the players momentum back into the rink..blah blah blah..

It's a fact of life in the NHL...it takes a major accident to force a rule change some times. It's only a matter of time before Visors are mandatory, no touch icing is brought into effect, and if they truly want to get rid of head shots that fighting results in a game misconduct and your gone.

NEELY

Mod
Mod
22_4_ever wrote:If I can add my 2 cents, I agree that I've angled a guy into the glass in that area before, as has many others. Do I believe he did it on purpose, yes. Do I believe he had the intent to injure him. NO.

I can only speak for myself and a small handful of others that have played Defense and have been in that position, but my expectation was always that they guy would stop. He knew he had 2 options.

1. Stop and go the other way
2. Keep going and eat some glass.

Looking back the risk for severe injury was there and knowing what I do now, I'm not sure I would have done it.

You can already hear Don Cherry, Why isn't the glass angled there to force the players momentum back into the rink..blah blah blah..

It's a fact of life in the NHL...it takes a major accident to force a rule change some times. It's only a matter of time before Visors are mandatory, no touch icing is brought into effect, and if they truly want to get rid of head shots that fighting results in a game misconduct and your gone.

I was a D man too and my expectation was he would stop, my hope was he would bash his face and go over the boards. Come down the wong, that's what you get. You know fully well that the glass is there, easy way to avoid it is to A) not go there B) dump the puck in C) cut across the middle and risk being smoked by my partner (if he's that type of player).

All this would have been avoid if the glass wasn't there. Simple.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

York said the same last night on the radio.

NEELY

Mod
Mod
SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

York said the same last night on the radio.

Well it's pretty common knowledge. You don't hit a guy to make him feel good. If a guy was coming down on me, you are damn right I wanted to put him into the boards as hard I possibly could, didn't care if I went flying in there with him as long as we got the puck and went from defense to offense.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
NEELY wrote:Well it's pretty common knowledge. You don't hit a guy to make him feel good. If a guy was coming down on me, you are damn right I wanted to put him into the boards as hard I possibly could, didn't care if I went flying in there with him as long as we got the puck and went from defense to offense.

What York specifically said was that he has grabbed an opponent's head and directed it into the glass. It's interesting to have a former NHLer admit that. I don't think it's common knowledge or there would be no debate regarding Chara's "intent."

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
SeawaySensFan wrote:
What York specifically said was that he has grabbed an opponent's head and directed it into the glass. It's interesting to have a former NHLer admit that. I don't think it's common knowledge or there would be no debate regarding Chara's "intent."

Hmmmm...while I'm not sure I agree with York, he's got an opinion that trumps any of us.

Funny that Aaron Ward said that there was no way there was intent on the play - and that it was silly to suggest otherwise (something like that) last night on the TSN panel.

This is a giant mess, but the NHL did the right thing, I stand by that. If anything, hopefully this is the play that makes the NHL suspend for 5 minimum for shots to the head - whether or not the player meant to do it.

This just happened to be a WEIRD circumstance with the stupid glass partition.

NEELY

Mod
Mod
SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:Well it's pretty common knowledge. You don't hit a guy to make him feel good. If a guy was coming down on me, you are damn right I wanted to put him into the boards as hard I possibly could, didn't care if I went flying in there with him as long as we got the puck and went from defense to offense.

For sure. Another trick is pushing the player right between his shoulder blades while you ride him in to give a little whiplash effect and he smashes his head.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SpezDispenser wrote:Hmmmm...while I'm not sure I agree with York, he's got an opinion that trumps any of us.

Just to be clear, York said that he himself (Jason York) did this often when he was starting out. No opinion there. I'm not even sure where he came on on Chara, to be honest.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Hoags wrote:
shabbs wrote:So, 0.4 seconds after Max has the puck, Chara is making contact... and then 0.6 seconds later he hits the turnbuckle.

Not a lot of time in there... fast fast game...

The game is so fast now they need to do something about such hits.

Sooner or later someone will break their neck and end their career and then they will have a real mess on their hands.
If they can get rid of that friggin' turnbuckle, that will help...

They can probably put some rounded glass to make that corner somehow.

Put the tall glass all around. Players would have to get on the bench and off using a door *every time* and they'd have to adjust the Too Many Men rules -- just add a blue rectangle as a "safe zone" where players coming off the ice can stand and wait (as long as they are not actively engaging in the play) until their replacements are on the ice and the doorway is clear.

Or another suggestion is to add that same rectangle, forget the tall glass, but make it a penalty to hit a player into the boards in that blue rectangle. In other words if you want to hit someone head-ion, no problem, just don't direct the player toward the non-existent barrier. As funny as it sometimes is to see a player body-checked into the bench, I don't think any of us would be laughing if someone's skate slashed across the face or carotid artery of a couple of players sitting on the bench. We don't need that.

LOL, dude, that's not gonna happen.

By "safe" I meant that as long as you were in the blue you would not be called for Too Many Men. Do you get my point now?

NEELY

Mod
Mod
The game is complex enough, no amount of paint is going to prevent things like that from happening. Get rid of the pointless glass in the middle of the ice, it's that simple.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:Also the fact that players are getting bigger and faster is also causing these more serious injuries. There's not much to be done there except to make the rinks ice surface bigger.

The time to address that was back in the 90s when pretty much every team were getting new rinks. The NHL chose to pass on bigger ice surfaces in favour of a few more seats.

What are you talking about? Bigger ice surface + new buildings everywhere = *MORE* seats. Putting a bigger ice surface into an existing arena, sure, the front row is gone, but in a new building it just means the whole place is bigger. Longer perimeter means more front row seats, and so on for subsequent rows.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 67]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum