GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Breaking Rumours!! » Member's Story breakers! » Official: Murray signs 3-year extension as GM!

Official: Murray signs 3-year extension as GM!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star
Now that I think of it.....I think it would be short sighted to judge this deal right away. Murray did alot of great things, but he screwed up in alot of aread too. The coaching is what I always look back on and quite frankly, the future of clouston to me will define whether signing murray was good or not. Despite everything, I still don't see how Murray should be allowed to pick another coach

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Michallica wrote:Now that I think of it.....I think it would be short sighted to judge this deal right away. Murray did alot of great things, but he screwed up in alot of aread too. The coaching is what I always look back on and quite frankly, the future of clouston to me will define whether signing murray was good or not. Despite everything, I still don't see how Murray should be allowed to pick another coach

That's why I'm thinking Eugene said "I will only re-sign you if you hire Dave Cameron, my buddy"

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Big Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:Now that I think of it.....I think it would be short sighted to judge this deal right away. Murray did alot of great things, but he screwed up in alot of aread too. The coaching is what I always look back on and quite frankly, the future of clouston to me will define whether signing murray was good or not. Despite everything, I still don't see how Murray should be allowed to pick another coach

That's why I'm thinking Eugene said "I will only re-sign you if you hire Dave Cameron, my buddy"
A GM that signs on under those conditions is basically giving up his power. I can't see Murray doing that.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Was it really the coaching ? Or was it a couple of uncoachable players (aka coachkillers) ?

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
Hoags wrote:

Was it really the coaching ? Or was it a couple of uncoachable players (aka coachkillers) ?

That depends on what decision these guys make. I think it was the players more, but I can't say that Hartsburg and Paddock didn't facilitate some of that behaviour. Clouston just came in and tolerated no crap and put in a system that didn't cater to star players at all times (i.e. more team game).

The key player exits under Murray include Heatley, Emery, Kovalev, Fisher, Kelly, Ruutu, Mcgrattan.....4 out of 6 which I would say may have caused some issue within the team. Emery/Mcgrattan most likely lead to the downfall of Paddock. It can be debated but the system just did not work under Hartsburg. There was literally nothing positive in the team when Hartsburg was running the show. Zero. At least with Clouston, we saw some positive results.

Paddock and Hartsburg are Murray's responsibility. So is Clouston....but if we don't re-hire this guy, then its admittedly another mistake. well I guess that could be up for debate too, but I just don't see how Clouston is a detriment to the future of this team. Last I checked, the future of this team are NOT the veterans running the show.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
To be honest, I can't even remember Hartsburg in Ottawa, or what his system was like or how the team played under him. That's how irrelevant he was.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
Big Ev wrote:To be honest, I can't even remember Hartsburg in Ottawa, or what his system was like or how the team played under him. That's how irrelevant he was.

I still remember times being a little rocky even with Jacques Martin in his earlier years. In 97 season, there was talk of not renewing his contract either but keeping him was a great decision. I think they need to have some sort of presence set in stone for the senators. You guys realize that since the lockout, CLouston in fact has been our longest serving coach amongst Murray, Hartsburg, Paddock?

strachattack

strachattack
Rookie
Rookie
I can still remember the Toronto media's disgust with Hartsburg's fate. "Disgraceful" and "undeserving" were being thrown around by a few. The reverse is now true. The Toronto media can't wait to kick Clouston to the curb or at least appear to have fun predicting it.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Michallica wrote:I don't get the clouston hate around here frankly....he's got a very respectable record and is performing admirably right now.

This was posted in another thread. Looks good to me.

wprager wrote:He's got a 63-43-10 record. That's actually not bad, considering how the goaltending went this year.

Actually that's wrong. His record is 95-82-20 for a winning % of .533

Coaching Record

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Age Lg Team GP W L T OL PTS PTS% Finish G W L T W-L% Notes
2008-09 39 NHL Ottawa Senators 34 19 11 4 42 .618 4th
2009-10 40 NHL Ottawa Senators 82 44 32 6 94 .573 2nd 6 2 4 .333
2010-11 41 NHL Ottawa Senators 81 32 39 10 74 .457 5th
Career NHL 197 95 82 20 210 .533 6 2 4 .333

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
LOL now the real truth comes out. Didn't want to include this season in his stats, eh? Laugh1

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Michallica wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Michallica wrote:I don't get the clouston hate around here frankly....he's got a very respectable record and is performing admirably right now.

wprager wrote:He's got a 63-43-10 record. That's actually not bad, considering how the goaltending went this year.

Coaching Record

Regular Season Playoffs
Seems Prager forgot about those first 34 games...

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
shabbs wrote:
Michallica wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Coaching Record

Regular Season Playoffs

Naw he forgot about the entire 81 games this season.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Big Ev wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Michallica wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Coaching Record

Regular Season Playoffs

Naw he forgot about the entire 81 games this season.
Yes... yes...

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
Michallica wrote:
That depends on what decision these guys make. I think it was the players more, but I can't say that Hartsburg and Paddock didn't facilitate some of that behaviour. Clouston just came in and tolerated no crap and put in a system that didn't cater to star players at all times (i.e. more team game).

We'll see what happens, the players seemed to have little problem playing for Murray but wouldn't play for Paddock or Fartsburg. Team and coach need to mesh.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Big Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Big Ev wrote:We all know the goalies deflated but at the beginning, as rooneypoo has stated before, they weren't the reason why we sucked. Our offense was nowhere to be found. Somebody's got to take the blame for our worst offensive year EVER.

I blame having Spezza out for 20 games, Michalek for 16 and The Alfie for 28. TwoThumbsUp!

ya. We didn't just lose a lot of players to injury, we lost the majority of the offensive heavyweights. Considering that Kovalev kova-loafed, Foligno took his time warming up, and Regin Dung the bed, there wasn't a lot of offense to spread around.

Nah, this was before Spezza got injured...and Alfie and Michalek were still in there as well. The goalies were fine for the first month.

Regin and Foligno shouldn't have been relied on as much anyway.

Goalies were not *fine*. Elliott was OK but Leclaire was the anointed #1 so they kept playing him and he kept losing. It's not like he had a .950 SV% and was losing. He had decent stats but it's the types of goals that went in that killed the team. Every time they mad a mistake (and they made a few) the puck was in. He never saved their bacon like Anderson has done, and the team stopped being a team.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Big Ev wrote:LOL now the real truth comes out. Didn't want to include this season in his stats, eh? Laugh1

Freakin' wikipedia. My fault for using that link.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Big Ev wrote:We all know the goalies deflated but at the beginning, as rooneypoo has stated before, they weren't the reason why we sucked. Our offense was nowhere to be found. Somebody's got to take the blame for our worst offensive year EVER.

I blame having Spezza out for 20 games, Michalek for 16 and The Alfie for 28. TwoThumbsUp!

ya. We didn't just lose a lot of players to injury, we lost the majority of the offensive heavyweights. Considering that Kovalev kova-loafed, Foligno took his time warming up, and Regin Dung the bed, there wasn't a lot of offense to spread around.

Nah, this was before Spezza got injured...and Alfie and Michalek were still in there as well. The goalies were fine for the first month.

Goalies were not *fine*. Elliott was OK but Leclaire was the anointed #1 so they kept playing him and he kept losing. It's not like he had a .950 SV% and was losing. He had decent stats but it's the types of goals that went in that killed the team. Every time they mad a mistake (and they made a few) the puck was in. He never saved their bacon like Anderson has done, and the team stopped being a team.

The goalies pretty much stood on their heads this year from October through most of November. I don't need to look these things up, I watched all the games -- every single blessed painful moment this year. The goalies Dung the bed from late November and after, for sure, but they don't deserve the blame for our early Dung start. We weren't scoring goals, at all, in the early going. The goalies do deserve the blame for doing precious little to help things out after they started to go bad, too, no question.

I don't know why people insist on misremembering.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran
rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

The goalies pretty much stood on their heads this year from October through most of November. I don't need to look these things up, I watched all the games -- every single blessed painful moment this year. The goalies Dung the bed from late November and after, for sure, but they don't deserve the blame for our early Dung start. We weren't scoring goals, at all, in the early going. The goalies do deserve the blame for doing precious little to help things out after they started to go bad, too, no question.

I don't know why people insist on misremembering.

I don't know R'Poo. Yeah, I remember the goalies standing on their heads but then letting in a weak one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum