GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE

REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 12]

61REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Tue May 24, 2011 2:40 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
spader wrote:
Really? I'd play in Siberia if I could make the kind of money they make to play a game.

EDIT: If they ever make a Siberian foosball league that pays its players millions, I'll have an opportunity to prove my claim.

Yeah, I'd play hockey for 60K a year, let alone millions, but that would not be my first choice to play by any stretch. In fact, it's pretty low on the totem pole of where I would sign as a free agent - which sucks for Byfuglien who literally just signed with Atlanta and soon will have to brave -40 weather to get to the rink.

62REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Tue May 24, 2011 2:50 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Byfuglien is at least closer to his hometown in Minnesota now.

It's funny, Atlanta was trying to acquire black players to appeaser the fanbase, now they're moving.

63REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Tue May 24, 2011 2:52 pm

spader

All-Star
All-Star
Big Ev wrote:Byfuglien is at least closer to his hometown in Minnesota now.

It's funny, Atlanta was trying to acquire black players to appeaser the fanbase, now they're moving.

Um...source?

64REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Tue May 24, 2011 2:54 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
spader wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Byfuglien is at least closer to his hometown in Minnesota now.

Um...source?

Not sure if you'll ever find any written documents about that, but Atlanta fans made no bones about it - the Thrashers were acquiring black players to attract more fans. It started with Kane being drafted and the spike in interest. Maybe Big Ev can find a source, but I doubt it.

65REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Tue May 24, 2011 2:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
http://passittobulis.blogspot.com/2010/10/atlanta-thrashers-and-black-players.html

This is from Harrison Mooney who thinks that Rick Dudley's claims that it was all by chance are something that he had to say in this sensitive day and age regarding race.

Apparently, yes. As such, race is a thorny issue. The Thrashers' story is fascinating and engaging, but it's difficult to discuss without using conversation-ending buzzwords like "exploit," as Thrashers GM Rick Dudley did in denying everything. I felt that mainstream writers and hockey people would have a hard time even broaching the subject unless they were responding to somebody that had already made the necessary explicit claims. Then you're just reacting, not noticing. If it sounds stupid, that's because it is. But consider the title of Jeff Klein's article: Thrashers Don't See Race, Just Opportunity. How did they see opportunity if they didn't see race? The line the race conversation forces people to toe is not only ridiculous, it's outside the realm of common sense.

Sidenote: Klein called us "the blogosphere," but don't feel bad we didn't get named. Feel bad for the other bloggers who thought they were part of the blogosphere. Sorry, guys, it's only us now.

This is the way the Thrashers have to play it. I never claimed that they were getting black players without considering their talent or their fit in the lineup. That would be "ludicrous," another word Dudley used. But, if a player happens to be black, and they just happened to acquire him, and this just happens to happen more frequently than at any other time in the history of the NHL in one of the blackest cities in America and the soulless marketing department just happens to notice, well, that's just happenstance. No racism here. Just a happy coincidence. Right? The nature and prevalence of the colour blindness argument forces the Thrashers to feign ignorance at the same time they're so conveniently savvy to start advertising on urban radio stations and magazines. Are you going to tell me the Thrashers just found out about their Atlantan African-American media? No, they knew about it beforehand, and they also knew they didn't have the personnel to utilize that stream of marketing. Incidentally, they acquired 20% of the black players in the NHL.

I don't mind Dudley's refutation. More than anything, it's unfortunate that what he said was what he had to say. I got heat and I'm nobody. Imagine the heat he'd get. The Thrashers would be finished if somebody inside their camp were to admit that, as seems apparent to me, this plan was hatched shortly after they realized they were going to draft Evander Kane. Their social awareness would be misconstrued as racial "exploitation" at a time when colour blindness is policy, and suddenly, they'd be alienated by the very community they're trying so hard to reach. Rick Dudley did the right thing in denying everything.

66REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Tue May 24, 2011 2:59 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
They had Byfuglien, Dawes, Stewart, Oduya, Kane at one point.

67REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Tue May 24, 2011 3:03 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Big Ev wrote:They had Byfuglien, Dawes, Stewart, Oduya, Kane at one point.

It was a good idea, IMO for that market. No need to dance around what they were attempting to do there.

68REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Tue May 24, 2011 4:14 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
SeawaySensFan wrote:

It was a good idea, IMO for that market. No need to dance around what they were attempting to do there.

Yeah, it's not like Les Habitants haven't been doing it for years. And not always with French-speaking players. Cammalleri is there to get the Italian community engaged (at least for the months when calcio is not on). Sergio Momesso was not a very good player, but he was very, very popular.

69REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Tue May 24, 2011 9:01 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Yeah, it's not like Les Habitants haven't been doing it for years. And not always with French-speaking players. Cammalleri is there to get the Italian community engaged (at least for the months when calcio is not on). Sergio Momesso was not a very good player, but he was very, very popular.

Disagree about that. Cammalleri is their because he scores goals, not because of his last name. Plus, he is also Jewish, so you could say he's attracting the Jewish community, and he could sell some smoked meat.

Main point, in Habs land, you don't need to attract new fans, they already have plenty.

70REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Tue May 24, 2011 9:36 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
You can disagree all you want, but I lived in Montreal for 20 years. Listened to all the pre and post game talk on the radio, the listeners calling in, read the Gazette (and the Montreal Star when it was still around) Sports section from cover to cover. I still listen to AM-800 (despite Team-990 being there now, 800 still airs their games, plus has some very good talk shows not necessarily sports-related) as well as Team-990.

Of course he's there because he scores goals. And Byfuglien got his big contract because he can play, too. But out of all the UFAs (or available trade bait) that had to figure in the decision making on some level.

71REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Tue May 24, 2011 10:52 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran
Big Ev wrote:
Tuk Tuk wrote:Now lets move on to getting Quebec City a team. Naughty

Naw we don't need two teams in Quebec. It's already hard for the players to travel to that country as it is.

You sir, are an Donkey

72REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Tue May 24, 2011 11:29 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:You can disagree all you want, but I lived in Montreal for 20 years. Listened to all the pre and post game talk on the radio, the listeners calling in, read the Gazette (and the Montreal Star when it was still around) Sports section from cover to cover. I still listen to AM-800 (despite Team-990 being there now, 800 still airs their games, plus has some very good talk shows not necessarily sports-related) as well as Team-990.

Of course he's there because he scores goals. And Byfuglien got his big contract because he can play, too. But out of all the UFAs (or available trade bait) that had to figure in the decision making on some level.

Sorry but I really don't think his heritage had to do with anything. Atlanta tried to sign black players because the whole damn town is black. I doubt the Habs even thought about Cammalleri being Italian.

Italians don't care if an Italian player plays for their home team. Ottawa Italians aren't attracted to the Sens because of Jason Spezza's Italian roots.

73REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Tue May 24, 2011 11:37 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
And you formed that opinion by listening to actual fans calling in to the talk shows like I did?

74REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Tue May 24, 2011 11:42 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:And you formed that opinion by listening to actual fans calling in to the talk shows like I did?

I'm sure the airwaves were buzzing with Italians wanting Italian players on the team.

They're not even really Italian, they are second or third generation Italians lol.

75REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Wed May 25, 2011 12:03 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran
Big Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:And you formed that opinion by listening to actual fans calling in to the talk shows like I did?

I'm sure the airwaves were buzzing with Italians wanting Italian players on the team.

They're not even really Italian, they are second or third generation Italians lol.

man oh man, I would love to observe what happens when you tell some of my 2nd or 3rd generation italian friends they're not "really italians". lol. That would be a lot of fun.

76REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Wed May 25, 2011 12:20 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
TheAvatar wrote:
Big Ev wrote:

man oh man, I would love to observe what happens when you tell some of my 2nd or 3rd generation italian friends they're not "really italians". lol. That would be a lot of fun.

For what it's worth, I'm Italian too.

77REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Wed May 25, 2011 7:24 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
^ true

78REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 5 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE on Wed May 25, 2011 9:27 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Big Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Disagree about that. Cammalleri is their because he scores goals, not because of his last name. Plus, he is also Jewish, so you could say he's attracting the Jewish community, and he could sell some smoked meat.

Main point, in Habs land, you don't need to attract new fans, they already have plenty.

Smoked meat is pretty universal. It's lox that needs a boost.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum