wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48697
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Sony's "Welcome back" PSN freebies

Post by wprager on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:28 pm

By now you've probably all heard about it. The PSN was hacked, passwords were stolen, accounts were compromised, and the network was shut down for about a month. As a way of saying "Oops" Sony is giving away some freebies to welcome you back. You get two free PS3 games (from a list of 5 or 6), and 30 days free online playing access. This offer is only for a month, and it started about a week ago, so don't snooze.

The user interface leaves much to be desired, though. You can't just pick two games and move along. No, you have the three "tokens" -- Free PS3 game #1, #2 and the 30 days free PSN access. You have to select the PS3 game #1 token, then pick which game you "assign" to that token. Then you confirm, download, confirm, ... I got lost, I'm sure. When I finally got to click "Continue shopping" I could not remember if I was on the game #1 token, or the 30 days free, or game #2. Very confusing, but eventually I got through it. The games were downloading, I heard some disk activity so I paid no attention to it.

Next morning the kids wanted to play their new games, but there was still nothing there. My Inbox had a confirmation message stating tha tI purchased the two games (for $0). I was confused. Apparently even after I clicked "Download" it didn't actually do anything. I had to go into Account Management->Transaction Management->Services List->SCEA Promotions. You'll see the games there and you will have to select each and download.

I don't understand why they made it this complicated. But there's even more. After you click Download it churns for a bit, then it offers you another "Background download" button. I clicked that and it churned for another little while, this time saying something like "Preparing". When it was finally done "preparing" I got back to the "Download" button. Thinking that something had gone wrong I clicked that again, then the "Background download". I ended up with the same game queued up to download a second time. 7GB. Facepalm

And the "Download Manager" is anything *but*. It simply lists what is downloading and what is queued up to download. You cannot cancel a download. So I guess what this means is I probably won't be finally trying the free 30-day Netflix trial until July (I usually use up 8-12GB, plus the 14 GB for downloading one of the games twice, plus the other free one is another 3-5, I think. I might hit my cap limit.

Oh, while looking around the PSN I noticed that they offer movies and TV shows as well. Recent HD movies are $5.99 to "rent" -- $2 better than Rogers on-demand. I'm not sure how long your rental period lasts. TV shows are not a great price. $.99 per episode is OK if you had missed recording something and only do it once. And BSG, S1E1 was $1.99 for the SD version and a whopping $2.99 for HD! Wow. "33" was a great episode, but how can they charge you $3 for an hour long episode?

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Re: Sony's "Welcome back" PSN freebies

Post by LeCaptain on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:21 pm

I bought the PS3 free game N1, selected the game, clicked download, for some unknown reason It didn't download the game, I went back to check on the list and my "free ps3 game N1" has disappeared so I didn't get any game and can't download it anymore Facepalm
    Don't really care since it's free but that's some kind of serious fail right there.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Post by Riprock on Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:53 pm

It works for me, but I haven't finished downloading... my internet is stupid slow. F'ing Primus.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:58 pm

marakh wrote:I bought the PS3 free game N1, selected the game, clicked download, for some unknown reason It didn't download the game, I went back to check on the list and my "free ps3 game N1" has disappeared so I didn't get any game and can't download it anymore Facepalm
    Don't really care since it's free but that's some kind of serious fail right there.

Yeah, that's what a lot of people had problems with. Myself included. Read what I wrote. Go to Account Management->Transaction Management->Services List->SCEA Promotions and you will be able to download it.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:00 pm

The boys loved the racing game. Now that I've upgraded to whatever is after "Lite" I don't have d/l issues. Cap issues is another concern.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Just double-checked. My "Express" service has 60GB cap. Woo-hoo! I think I might try out this "streaming" thing. Is "Black Swan" worth watching in HD? My pick was last night and I picked Next Three Days (so-so); wife's choice is Black Swan. But I also recorded The Dark Knight on Showcase-HD today (and I have not seen it yet).

The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2270
    Registration date : 2008-10-14

Post by The Silfer Server on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:07 pm

Both games worked for me, albeit the first one i was confused and it just happened by chance. I think you have to select the token, agree to it, then select the game, and agree again, and then it just disappeared. I did that twice, and somehow it worked.

I ended up getting Little Big Planet and Infamous, both of which I like, especially because they were free.

And Wprager, wasn't the first episode of Battlestar Gallactica actually like 2 or 3 hours long. All other ones are 45 minute episodes, but I remember the first one is movie-like long.
    The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by The Silfer Server on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:09 pm

wprager wrote:Just double-checked. My "Express" service has 60GB cap. Woo-hoo! I think I might try out this "streaming" thing. Is "Black Swan" worth watching in HD? My pick was last night and I picked Next Three Days (so-so); wife's choice is Black Swan. But I also recorded The Dark Knight on Showcase-HD today (and I have not seen it yet).

You know you can see how much you have left it you go to the Rogers website, and log into your account. It tracks it by day, and will tell you how much you have left for the month, and how much each additional GB would cost you. Assuming you're with Rogers that is.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:15 pm

Bass Destruction wrote:Both games worked for me, albeit the first one i was confused and it just happened by chance. I think you have to select the token, agree to it, then select the game, and agree again, and then it just disappeared. I did that twice, and somehow it worked.

I ended up getting Little Big Planet and Infamous, both of which I like, especially because they were free.

And Wprager, wasn't the first episode of Battlestar Gallactica actually like 2 or 3 hours long. All other ones are 45 minute episodes, but I remember the first one is movie-like long.

You are thinking about the mini-series. The first episode of season 1 (officially) is titled "33". That's when every 33 minutes the cylons find them and they have to jump away. I have the entire kit-and-caboodle (including Razor) on DVD but I am semi-curious about how it would look in HD. I watched one of the seasons on Space and that was brutal. I have this awful feeling that, if I re- watch it now, I'll feel that way about the DVDs.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Bass Destruction wrote:
    wprager wrote:Just double-checked. My "Express" service has 60GB cap. Woo-hoo! I think I might try out this "streaming" thing. Is "Black Swan" worth watching in HD? My pick was last night and I picked Next Three Days (so-so); wife's choice is Black Swan. But I also recorded The Dark Knight on Showcase-HD today (and I have not seen it yet).

You know you can see how much you have left it you go to the Rogers website, and log into your account. It tracks it by day, and will tell you how much you have left for the month, and how much each additional GB would cost you. Assuming you're with Rogers that is.

Yes, I'm with Rogers, but you have to get that account first (and for that I need my account number, and the latest monthly bill is sitting, unopened, on my desk at work).

The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by The Silfer Server on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:29 pm

wprager wrote:
    Bass Destruction wrote:Both games worked for me, albeit the first one i was confused and it just happened by chance. I think you have to select the token, agree to it, then select the game, and agree again, and then it just disappeared. I did that twice, and somehow it worked.

You are thinking about the mini-series. The first episode of season 1 (officially) is titled "33". That's when every 33 minutes the cylons find them and they have to jump away. I have the entire kit-and-caboodle (including Razor) on DVD but I am semi-curious about how it would look in HD. I watched one of the seasons on Space and that was brutal. I have this awful feeling that, if I re- watch it now, I'll feel that way about the DVDs.

You are quite right. Kind of a rip-off. The Mini-series in $12 for half of it, in HD. I would think buying the Blu-ray would actually be cheaper, than buying all the episodes.

PS: took your recommendation of watching Dollhouse, and loved it. Especially the first season. But still, really liked it as a whole. Stupid Fox for cancelling all the good shows because of people like me who don't watch them. Facepalm
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:54 pm

Dollhouse? I'm not a Joss Whedon fanboi, but I loved Buffy -- the movie, never watched the series, actually. Loved Firefly and enjoyed Dollhouse, while it lasted. That's it, though, as far as Whedon is concerned.

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:00 pm

wprager wrote:
    marakh wrote:I bought the PS3 free game N1, selected the game, clicked download, for some unknown reason It didn't download the game, I went back to check on the list and my "free ps3 game N1" has disappeared so I didn't get any game and can't download it anymore Facepalm

Yeah, that's what a lot of people had problems with. Myself included. Read what I wrote. Go to Account Management->Transaction Management->Services List->SCEA Promotions and you will be able to download it.

Thanks, but it's okay...I downloaded Super Stardust (which I wanted to play for 4 years now), LBP and Infamous I already finished a long time ago and Wipeout I haven't played in years.

I'm playing Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Revolver now, both very time consuming.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:50 am