Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12751
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Re: NETFLIX streaming

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:45 am

tim1_2 wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:I think that the Green Lantern movie makes it to Netflix fairly quick. Even in Canada.

It might skip Netflix and just go to YouTube. The trailers made it look terrible, and, sure enough, it's terrible:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/green_lantern/
    damn! i was a big GL fan as a kid.... I was really looking forward to this.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16154
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Well, I was really looking forward to the Spiderman movies...so other people should have their dreams crushed too.... It seems like only the new Batman movies (and a couple of the XMen movies) are doing justice to their comic book fans. Oh, and the Iron Man movies are pretty good too, if only because they are funny.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24736
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:36 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Well, I was really looking forward to the Spiderman movies...so other people should have their dreams crushed too.... It seems like only the new Batman movies (and a couple of the XMen movies) are doing justice to their comic book fans. Oh, and the Iron Man movies are pretty good too, if only because they are funny.

Any of those movies will cost you 7.25 in the States. Closer to 10 bucks here. Kind of like how we get Cussed over by Subway.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47502
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:21 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Well, I was really looking forward to the Spiderman movies...so other people should have their dreams crushed too.... It seems like only the new Batman movies (and a couple of the XMen movies) are doing justice to their comic book fans. Oh, and the Iron Man movies are pretty good too, if only because they are funny.

Any of those movies will cost you 7.25 in the States. Closer to 10 bucks here. Kind of like how we get Cussed over by Subway.

Actually: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/movies/liam-lacey/a-modest-defence-of-price-gouging-at-movie-theatres/article1937104/

The year 2010 brought us the highest movie ticket prices so far, up 5 per cent from the previous year. The average ticket last year cost about $7.89 U.S., including age discounts and regional variations. In Canada, which is part of the U.S. domestic movie market, adult general admission prices are between $10 and $13.

That was 2010 and average ticket prices in the US was $7.98. More 3F this year likely means even higher *average* ticket price. Of course it's gone up in Canada as well. Local AMC in Kanata charges $10.50 for the Movie Watcher members, and $12.75 for non-members. Add $3 for 3D, and $5 for IMAX 3D.

And don't get me started on the price of popcorn.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:32 pm

wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

Actually: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/movies/liam-lacey/a-modest-defence-of-price-gouging-at-movie-theatres/article1937104/

The year 2010 brought us the highest movie ticket prices so far, up 5 per cent from the previous year. The average ticket last year cost about $7.89 U.S., including age discounts and regional variations. In Canada, which is part of the U.S. domestic movie market, adult general admission prices are between $10 and $13.

That was 2010 and average ticket prices in the US was $7.98. More 3F this year likely means even higher *average* ticket price. Of course it's gone up in Canada as well. Local AMC in Kanata charges $10.50 for the Movie Watcher members, and $12.75 for non-members. Add $3 for 3D, and $5 for IMAX 3D.

And don't get me started on the price of popcorn.

I just checked and it's 13.50 in the US (Syracuse) for 3-D. Interestingly enough, if you sign up for a Netflix free trial, you get 2 free movie tickets. Laugh1
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:34 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Ahhh, but here in Canada I can still download movies, for free, to my heart's content. In the States, you tend to get nasty letters threatening legal action.

So all the money I've saved in movie rental fees more than makes up for more expensive subs (although the only sub that matters, The Pizza Sub, is still $5).
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:38 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

Ahhh, but here in Canada I can still download movies, for free, to my heart's content. In the States, you tend to get nasty letters threatening legal action.

So all the money I've saved in movie rental fees more than makes up for more expensive subs (although the only sub that matters, The Pizza Sub, is still $5).

Poutine is scarce there too.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Although they do sell beer at Walmart. There are pros and cons I suppose.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10037
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:18 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

I can't stand Subway. Their vegetables taste weird and are always in a well-preserved state of near-rot. They could charge $1 a sub for all I care. I still won't eat there.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:11 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Although they do sell beer at Walmart. There are pros and cons I suppose.

If Canada had 3% beer they might sell it at WalMart, too.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Old joke from Monty Python's live performance a the Hollywood Bowl:

Why is American beer like making love in a canoe?

Because it's $&%*ing close to water!

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:46 pm

I'm glad every one understood what I meant by 3F. I read it over and couldn't figure out what I meant until I read a reply.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10037
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:49 pm

wprager wrote:I'm glad every one understood what I meant by 3F. I read it over and couldn't figure out what I meant until I read a reply.

Ha. I immediately looked at my keyboard when I read that to confirm that the "F" and "D" keys are next-door neighbours. Nod
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:22 pm

Latest reasons to dig Netflix:

The A-Team and The Larry Sanders Show.

Hey Noooooowwww!!!!
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:26 pm

A nice feed showing what's new on Netflix Canada

http://app.whatsnewonnetflix.com/
    Number Twenty Nine
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1680
    Favorite Team : Dallas
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

Post by Number Twenty Nine on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:28 pm

I quit Netflix because they doubled the bill here in the US. I have AOD, which is better IMHO.
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2728

Post by TheAvatar on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:23 am

Number Twenty Nine wrote:I quit Netflix because they doubled the bill here in the US. I have AOD, which is better IMHO.

What's AOD?
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:41 am

Amazon on-demand?

Sponsored content