NETFLIX streaming

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47627
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: NETFLIX streaming

Post by wprager on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:09 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Spent a couple days sending emails and screen shots to unblock-US to diagnose why my apple tv kept giving me problems with the US DNS settings only to find out that I just needed to log out of ask devices from my lap top and log back into Netflix.

UnblockUS is expensive. I pay $3/month in 6 month chunks. It should really be free (or unnecessary).

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24747
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:44 am

I haven't tried this yet. Ignore the 2013 date in the URL this page is updated regularly.

http://removeandreplace.com/2013/10/27/dns-codes-netflix-usa/

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:13 pm

I've tried similar lists in the past. They ended up being mostly the DNS server IPs for paid service. So, sure, you could configure your DNS but the first time you used it it would ask you to activate your device (typically via some kind of authentication, like contract number, userid, etc.)
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:19 pm

Too much of a hassle for me. There's 19 Netflix regions so I gladly pay $5 a month to be able to switch between them in 1 second.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:38 pm

wprager wrote:I've tried similar lists in the past. They ended up being mostly the DNS server IPs for paid service. So, sure, you could configure your DNS but the first time you used it it would ask you to activate your device (typically via some kind of authentication, like contract number, userid, etc.)

Good to know. I never ran into this.

I'm happy to pay for the service but I'm not sure if it's something that runs off my router or if I can configure individual devices like my media box or Playstation. I don't want everything in my house, particularly my PC, being altered.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12882
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:47 pm

I pay nothing, i installed Hola on firefox and it changes my IP to a US one. no charge, welcome to netflix USA
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:47 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:

I'm happy to pay for the service but I'm not sure if it's something that runs off my router or if I can configure individual devices like my media box or Playstation. I don't want everything in my house, particularly my PC, being altered.

It's entirely up to you (except for ChromeCast). I've configured my smart TV to use the ProxyDNS server (for US contents) and I left my Playstation alone (to get the defaults from the router, which means Canadian Netflix). On my tablet I switch one way or the other. The only issue is if I want to play back on my upstairs TV using the ChromeCast dongle, if I'm using the ProxyDNS servers to login to Netflix on my tablet I can search and find the US contents, but won't play (someone explained to me that it's becasue the ChromeCast is hard-coded to use Goggle's DNS servers which resolve to Canadian ones).

Flo The Action wrote:I pay nothing, i installed Hola on firefox and it changes my IP to a US one. no charge, welcome to netflix USA

That works if you run Netflix on your PC via a browser (HolaInternet is browser plugin). I can't set it up on my smart tv or Playstation, and although I can set it up on my tablet, I can't use browser-based Netflix (you must use the app).

So it sucks. I could do it on my laptop and output to the TV but the resolution on my laptop is pathetic (compared to HD).

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:46 pm

wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

It's entirely up to you (except for ChromeCast). I've configured my smart TV to use the ProxyDNS server (for US contents) and I left my Playstation alone (to get the defaults from the router, which means Canadian Netflix). On my tablet I switch one way or the other. The only issue is if I want to play back on my upstairs TV using the ChromeCast dongle, if I'm using the ProxyDNS servers to login to Netflix on my tablet I can search and find the US contents, but won't play (someone explained to me that it's becasue the ChromeCast is hard-coded to use Goggle's DNS servers which resolve to Canadian ones).

Flo The Action wrote:I pay nothing, i installed Hola on firefox and it changes my IP to a US one. no charge, welcome to netflix USA

That works if you run Netflix on your PC via a browser (HolaInternet is browser plugin). I can't set it up on my smart tv or Playstation, and although I can set it up on my tablet, I can't use browser-based Netflix (you must use the app).

So it sucks. I could do it on my laptop and output to the TV but the resolution on my laptop is pathetic (compared to HD).

So I guess "ProxyDNS" supplies you with DNS addresses for a fee? And you input them into your settings on each device manually?

I typically like to use a "smart" BluRay player as a media box as well as my Western Digital whatchamacallit...
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:54 pm

Yes, you get two IP addresses (primary and secondary) and then there's some authorization involved (the IP addresses are freely available on their website but your devices need to be authorized to use it).

Y could configure them on your wireless router so that everyone uses them, or do what I did.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:01 pm

wprager wrote:Yes, you get two IP addresses (primary and secondary) and then there's some authorization involved (the IP addresses are freely available on their website but your devices need to be authorized to use it).

Y could configure them on your wireless router so that everyone uses them, or do what I did.

Cool. Gives me an idea of what I'm getting into.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:49 am