You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch

2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 13]

1662011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:37 pm

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore
spader wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:All in all, we drafted 10 players and added one via trade.

Of those 11 players, 9 are forwards, with 5 centers, 3 LWs, and 1 RW:

C: Zibanejad, Prince, Pageau, Kramer, Dzingel
LW: Puempel, Filatov, McCormick
RW: Noeson

And 2 D: Claesson, Fransoo

I realize that they're happy with Lehner in the wings and Anderson on the big club, but I wish they'd addressed the organizational need in nets. I'm surprised that they didn't at least draft one goaltender.

unless you think a guy has franchise potential, what's the point in drafting him? You can sign back-up goalies any day of the week...

1672011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:38 pm

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore
More to the point, the one goalie this regime has drafted has is a 19 year old Calder Cup MVP. These guys know what they're doing.

1682011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:39 pm

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore
SpezDispenser wrote:
spader wrote:
I realize that they're happy with Lehner in the wings and Anderson on the big club, but I wish they'd addressed the organizational need in nets. I'm surprised that they didn't at least draft one goaltender.

They'll likely sign two or three undrafted goalies. It's not a bad way to go IMO, guy like Conz didn't go today - which is slightly surprising.

I like what Toronto has done with their goalie situation. The undrafted route isn't a bad one...

1692011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
cash wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
spader wrote:

They'll likely sign two or three undrafted goalies. It's not a bad way to go IMO, guy like Conz didn't go today - which is slightly surprising.

I like what Toronto has done with their goalie situation. The undrafted route isn't a bad one...
toronto and philly... bobosky or whatever his name is was a great pick up in my opinion.

1702011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:42 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
cash wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
spader wrote:

Yeah, me too. I thought we'd get Fasth this year. We're still in the running next season IMO.

1712011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:43 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
cash wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
spader wrote:

Fair enough. I just think that, while we seem to have a home run in Lehner, we're not very deep in nets. I think they need to address the organizational depth at the position.

1722011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:44 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
Sick haul.

1732011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:44 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I believe we will with university signings and import signings this summer.

1742011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:44 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
asq2 wrote:Sick haul.

Beautiful work by Dorion, Murray, Murray etc.

1752011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:49 pm

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore
spader wrote:
cash wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
spader wrote:

Fair enough. I just think that, while we seem to have a home run in Lehner, we're not very deep in nets. I think they need to address the organizational depth at the position.

There's no question that that's the case (that we're weak depth wise in the crease) but it's not like a lot of teams have multiple starters flowing out of their pipeline. It's a hard position to fill and we have two great players already in the organization. There's no need to dilute the talent line just to have more bodies back there.

When they get a chance, they'll fill it as best as the players available allow them to.

1762011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:11 pm

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore
stempniaksen wrote:
NEELY wrote:
cash wrote:
NEELY wrote:
cash wrote:Neil replacement? (5 years from now type of thing)

I would say Stone is Neil replacment.

Neil put up some good numbers but Stone was dominant this year. I would say stone is a more legitimate offensive threat than Neil has ever been. Stone was a year younger than Neil when Neil had his best offensive season in the OHL.
Stone also has almost 0 pims next to Neil's totals. Outside of a unique (and arguably poor) skating stride and the round they were drafted in, there is very little comparison between the two that can reasonably be made.

You could make a very good argument that Stone would have been a 2nd round pick had he stayed healthy. I wasn't around for the draft back then, but I highly doubt anyone considered Neil as a reasonable 2nd round pick before or at any point after his draft year.

I agree with all of that but the point I was making, if you people are realistic in their expecations Stone has a chance to be a 3rd/4th line guy that drops the flippers.

I see more Nick Foligno in him, but agree with the point you're making.

Foligno is a pretty good comparable, but again, Stone put up much better numbers sooner and in a tougher league. People should be really excited to see what he does this year. If he can stay healthy, he could very well lead the league in scoring. If he works on his skating and keeps developing, there's nothing stopping him from being a point producer in the NHL.

1772011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:20 pm

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore
SpezDispenser wrote:
cash wrote:back to my original question: Does Max McCormick have Chris Neil potential in him?

Doubt it. At 175, he'll need to gain some serious weight to be in Neil's range.

More of a Sean Avery type player, then?

1782011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:23 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
cash wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
cash wrote:back to my original question: Does Max McCormick have Chris Neil potential in him?

Doubt it. At 175, he'll need to gain some serious weight to be in Neil's range.

More of a Sean Avery type player, then?

I don't really know personally. Just looking at his size I figured someone less than Neil's weightclass.

1792011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:31 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
UffeBodin Uffe Bodin
by steffeG
Brian Burke in the elevator: "I should be able to go and have bleeping Dung without someone drafting a Swede."

Laugh1

1802011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:36 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
SpezDispenser wrote:UffeBodin Uffe Bodin
by steffeG
Brian Burke in the elevator: "I should be able to go and have bleeping Dung without someone drafting a Swede."

Laugh1

Bet that's making Tom Nilsson feel super right about now.

1812011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:01 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Interesting stat: Eight Russians in all taken in NHL draft.

1822011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:33 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Haha, I was trying to watch the taped draft today, and I got to the pick in the 2nd I think, where San Jose acquired a pick via trade and their staffer started to announce their pick and was interrupted by the officiating dude and he said something like "oh what the Diddle" or something with "Diddle" in it... the commentator was like "whoaaaaaaaaa". It was pretty humorous.

1832011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 12 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:22 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Dash wrote:Haha, I was trying to watch the taped draft today, and I got to the pick in the 2nd I think, where San Jose acquired a pick via trade and their staffer started to announce their pick and was interrupted by the officiating dude and he said something like "oh what the Diddle" or something with "Diddle" in it... the commentator was like "whoaaaaaaaaa". It was pretty humorous.

Haha, yeah the NHL old man stopped him until the trade became official and the guy went "Oh Diddle off, what a joke". It was quite amusing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum