You are not connected. Please login or register

 » Alphabet soup + Anouncements! » Random Thoughts - NON Hockey talk » The Big Green Egg -- general information, benefits, recipes, stories

The Big Green Egg -- general information, benefits, recipes, stories

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

tim1_2


Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Big Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Had some ribs in the "Egg-lite" (guess that's what I'll call it). AMAZING! Can't beat that flavour!

Steaks aren't shabby either.

Two questions:

1) What type of charcoal did you use? I always use lump...the brand can vary...typically Royal Oak.

2) Did you use any wood chunks for smoke? I love tossing on some chunks of hickory, cherry, or apple wood.

1) Lump. Royal Oak. Apparently you should never use briquettes for a kamado grill.

2) Yeah there were some wood chips in there at the beginning. I think it was hickory.

Briquettes aren't recommended ever, as far as I'm concerned. I find they give food a chemical taste due to their manufacturing process. Some briquettes are marketed as "all natural" or whatever, but I've never gone wrong with lump.

Wood chips and wood chunks are different. Chips aren't that great for a charcoal grill, as they can be burned up pretty fast. It's a little tougher to find wood "chunks" (bigger pieces of wood, no soaking required), but it's worth it. Sometimes Home Depot or Lowes will stock them. Chunks give off smoke over a much longer period of time. I do use chips often though, if I'm doing burgers or something else that requires a very short cook-time.

Anyway, congrats on your ribs! Nothing shows off the power of charcoal grills like doing up some yummy ribs. Try chicken wings sometimeā€¦I cook mine for a while with some wood chunks for smoke, and then sauce em up towards the end of the cook. They turn out great, and are really, really easy.

Ev


Franchise Player
Franchise Player
haha I can't take the credit, my dad's the cook Wink. I'd get one myself whenever I move out.

and yeah actually the wood was decently big so they were probably chunks

SeawaySensFan


Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I suggest you kids get the Edge... The Kingsford Edge!

Works like a charm in my hibachi.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Well, then you have good grill-master to learn from. My dad only ever used gas BBQs, and he only really knew how to turn stuff black.

Seriously, soak up all the cooking tips and techniques you can before you move out. I had to self-teach myself a lot of what I know about cooking. Creating meals is one of life's greatest pleasures as far as I'm concerned. Being able to make a wide range of meals will up your free agent value in the ladies' eyes too.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:Well, then you have good grill-master to learn from. My dad only ever used gas BBQs, and he only really knew how to turn stuff black.

Seriously, soak up all the cooking tips and techniques you can before you move out. I had to self-teach myself a lot of what I know about cooking. Creating meals is one of life's greatest pleasures as far as I'm concerned. Being able to make a wide range of meals will up your free agent value in the ladies' eyes too.

Damn, too bad. I had quality barbecue my whole childhood/life.We currently have a large natural gas grill and now this charcoal grill. Aside from ribs, one of the best meals is rotisserie chicken in the gas grill.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran
Can't do rotisserie chicken in the Green Egg but beer can chicken is awesomeness itself!

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Yeah, a nice smokey beer can chicken is phenomenal.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran
Finally (conditionally) sold my house. Their first offer included THE BIG GREEN EGG ... Needless to say they will have to buy their own Smile

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Man, I can't believe the nerve of people who ask for your possessions when putting i nan offer for your house. Maybe it's just me. I can live with appliances, but when they ask for your TV, your lawnmower, your speakers, etc. it's so dumb.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran
TheAvatar wrote:Finally (conditionally) sold my house. Their first offer included THE BIG GREEN EGG ... Needless to say they will have to buy their own Smile


That would end in a "GTF out of my house!" I just made Jamaican Jerk chicken & pork today in my Primo XL. Sooo gooood.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
You Green Egg snobs sicken me.

Fiesta BBQ FTW!!! Beer

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran
SeawaySensFan wrote:You Green Egg snobs sicken me.

Fiesta BBQ FTW!!! Beer

Well, ssf, you can come visit me, it looks like my new house is in williamstown...very private so I can sneak you in on the property without having to worry about neighbor rioting Sarcasm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran
Number Twenty Nine wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:Finally (conditionally) sold my house. Their first offer included THE BIG GREEN EGG ... Needless to say they will have to buy their own Smile


That would end in a "GTF out of my house!" I just made Jamaican Jerk chicken & pork today in my Primo XL. Sooo gooood.

I know but the house has been on the market for about 2 years. To make it worse, it was a low ball. I was thinking of you though and the fact that you had said they are often discounted in the us (which they never do here). In the end, we got a fair'ish price and I didn't have to leave my underwear behind

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran
TheAvatar wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:You Green Egg snobs sicken me.

Fiesta BBQ FTW!!! Beer

Well, ssf, you can come visit me, it looks like my new house is in williamstown...very private so I can sneak you in on the property without having to worry about neighbor rioting Sarcasm

Where in Billyville? I used to live on Glen Rd.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
TheAvatar wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:You Green Egg snobs sicken me.

Fiesta BBQ FTW!!! Beer

Well, ssf, you can come visit me, it looks like my new house is in williamstown...very private so I can sneak you in on the property without having to worry about neighbor rioting Sarcasm

Sweet. When's the fair?

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran
Number Twenty Nine wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:You Green Egg snobs sicken me.

Fiesta BBQ FTW!!! Beer

Well, ssf, you can come visit me, it looks like my new house is in williamstown...very private so I can sneak you in on the property without having to worry about neighbor rioting Sarcasm

Where in Billyville? I used to live on Glen Rd.

On loyalist rd. a couple of acres on the raisin with no neighbors Smile

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
TheAvatar wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:You Green Egg snobs sicken me.

Fiesta BBQ FTW!!! Beer

Well, ssf, you can come visit me, it looks like my new house is in williamstown...very private so I can sneak you in on the property without having to worry about neighbor rioting Sarcasm

Where in Billyville? I used to live on Glen Rd.

On loyalist rd. a couple of acres on the raisin with no neighbors Smile

Ah yes, the mighty Raisin. How far from Jack's Pub?

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran
TheAvatar wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:You Green Egg snobs sicken me.

Fiesta BBQ FTW!!! Beer

Well, ssf, you can come visit me, it looks like my new house is in williamstown...very private so I can sneak you in on the property without having to worry about neighbor rioting Sarcasm

Where in Billyville? I used to live on Glen Rd.

On loyalist rd. a couple of acres on the raisin with no neighbors Smile


eeeeeeeeeee aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That's the sound of dialup internet.....

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum