GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 66 of 67]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SpezDispenser wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Myers is now confirmed. 7 years, 5.5 per year (is the rumour), but the signing is done.

$10M signing bonus due on July 1, 2012, meaning more than 25% of the contract is paid on day one of the extension. Money up front is always better than money later.

They're calling it "lockout protection". Interesting.

Oh great, here comes the lockout talk.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
SpezDispenser wrote:File this under 'cool':

Garth Snow and the Isles have given Josh Bailey until 7AM tomorrow to sign. If he hasn't by then, he'll be forced to sit out the season and the Isles will retain his rights.

I would support that happening w/Turris as well - and I think it will.

The NHLPA might have something to say about that, though. I don't think you can force someone to sit out if they are not signed by September 16.

NEELY

Mod
Mod
wprager wrote:

Garth Snow and the Isles have given Josh Bailey until 7AM tomorrow to sign. If he hasn't by then, he'll be forced to sit out the season and the Isles will retain his rights.

The NHLPA might have something to say about that, though. I don't think you can force someone to sit out if they are not signed by September 16.

If players are unsigned they can't report for camp. That's in the CBA I believe. It's a good rule because the club is under no obligation to sign players. That's why offer sheets are allowed.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
SpezDispenser wrote:TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Myers deal in BUF is 7 years, $38.5M for a cap hit of $5.5 beginning the 12-13 season. Gets a $10M SB on July 1/12 with $2M in 1st yr salary

Gladly give that to Karlsson if he continues to improve.

Wasn't the earlier rumor 6 years? They managed to get an extra year out of him. Good for Buffalo.

That said, I still think it's way too much money for a player coming off his sophomore season (in which he did progress from his rookie season). And I wish they'd do away with these ridiculous salary structures. Salary should be cap hit. Period.

Now, as for Karlsson, I don't think he gets that kind of money quite yet. His game, defensively, is not yet there. Plus Meyers is a giant and can play the physical game that Karlsson can only dream about.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:

If players are unsigned they can't report for camp. That's in the CBA I believe. It's a good rule because the club is under no obligation to sign players. That's why offer sheets are allowed.

I get that, but can you suspend someone for a full season for not reporting to camp?

The NHLPA will have something to say about this. I think you have until some date in January until you are no-longer eligible to play this season (remember that from Yashin's holdout). And until that date kicks in the club can only suspend someone for not reporting, missing practice, whatever. Suspending someone a full season for -- effectively -- missing training camp by one day is not something the NHLPA will allow to happen.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
wprager wrote:
Myers deal in BUF is 7 years, $38.5M for a cap hit of $5.5 beginning the 12-13 season. Gets a $10M SB on July 1/12 with $2M in 1st yr salary

Wasn't the earlier rumor 6 years? They managed to get an extra year out of him. Good for Buffalo.

That said, I still think it's way too much money for a player coming off his sophomore season (in which he did progress from his rookie season). And I wish they'd do away with these ridiculous salary structures. Salary should be cap hit. Period.

Now, as for Karlsson, I don't think he gets that kind of money quite yet. His game, defensively, is not yet there. Plus Meyers is a giant and can play the physical game that Karlsson can only dream about.

Oops, mis-remembered. The rumor *was* 7.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
wprager wrote:

I feel vindicated:

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Won't be surprised if in next CBA NHL tries to make every year of a contract the same. In other words, player receives the cap hit each yr.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Myers is now confirmed. 7 years, 5.5 per year (is the rumour), but the signing is done.

$10M signing bonus due on July 1, 2012, meaning more than 25% of the contract is paid on day one of the extension. Money up front is always better than money later.

They're calling it "lockout protection". Interesting.

Oh great, here comes the lockout talk.

Funny that it's this EXACT contract that's going to lead to a lockout - and he's got lockout protection.

There is no bloody 2nd contract in the NHL - and it cannot go on.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Right now the pendulum has swung a bit too far to the players' side. Nearly a half-mil minimum salary, and that's not counting the perks (per-diem on road trips, some teams have a chef that will make you breakfast, lunch and supper if you want -- that's a sizable savings in both time and money). And that's just for the plugs. The stars get all that, the huge salaries, and of course the advertising money. The players are getting more than 50% of the *gross*, so the owners have to still pay expenses our of their less-than-half share.

I think it's time to give back to the paying public and drop ticket prices -- A LOT.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:I think it's time to give back to the paying public and drop ticket prices -- A LOT.

Hardy har har. Unfortunately, we don't get a seat at the bargaining table.

The only way that we could ever have an impact is to go on strike, and not go to games. And this would only work if it was a league-wide movement. One teams fans going on strike wouldnt' affect change.

Try organizing that.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
This is new: https://www.youtube.com/khl

Live broadcast of a KHL game on youtube. I didn't even know they could do that.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Smile Helps if you understand Russian. Kovalev and Zherdev are in the game.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All these long term contracts before the next CBA is in place... could be risky... or it could pay off.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Good deal for Myers and Buffalo. I would gladly settle for that (but it should be less) for Karlsson.

I understand the argument for this type of contract as a 2nd contract, but in 3 years a player can go from average to franchise. Myers has more to boast than Karlsson:

World Junior gold medal with Team Canada in 2009.
Ed Chynoweth Cup with the Kelowna Rockets in 2009.
WHL Playoff MVP in 2009.
NHL Rookie of the Month for January 2010.
Calder Memorial Trophy in 2010.

And at $5.5M, this is his company:

1. Weber, Shea » D NAS 26 1 $7,500,000
2. Campbell, Brian » D FLA 32 8 $7,142,875
3. Chara, Zdeno » D BOS 34 7 $6,916,667
4. Bouwmeester, Jay » D CGY 27 5 $6,680,000
5. Boyle, Dan » D SAN 35 6 $6,666,667
6. Phaneuf, Dion » D TOR 26 6 $6,500,000
7. Redden, Wade » D NYR 34 6 $6,500,000
8. Timonen, Kimmo » D PHI 36 6 $6,333,333
9. Lidstrom, Nicklas » D DET 41 1 $6,200,000
10. Seabrook, Brent » D CHI 26 5 $5,800,000
11. Markov, Andrei » D MTL 32 3 $5,750,000
12. Visnovsky, Lubomir » D ANA 35 5 $5,600,000
13. Keith, Duncan » D CHI 28 13 $5,538,462
14. Gonchar, Sergei » D OTT 37 3 $5,500,000
15. Wisniewski, James » D CLB 27 6 $5,500,000
16. Green, Mike » D WAS 25 4 $5,250,000
17. Yandle, Keith » D PHO 25 5 $5,250,000
18. Byfuglien, Dustin » D WIN 26 5 $5,200,000
19. Rozsival, Michal » D PHO 33 4 $5,000,000
20. Martin, Paul » D PIT 30 5 $5,000,000

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:
wprager wrote:

I feel vindicated:

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Won't be surprised if in next CBA NHL tries to make every year of a contract the same. In other words, player receives the cap hit each yr.

This contract, you could say with that big bonus, is just another way to circumvent the cap hit.
That's where the league steps in next year to try to avoid these. Especially those extra long contracts with pittance at the end to bring the cap down.
Also, they have to look at limiting the contract these young kids get coming out of the entry level. Limit the percentage increase...that should fix it. It's getting crazy...
They can make a clause for a 'franchise player' a la Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, etc.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Stars reach a deal to sell team to B.C. businessman. Of course it would have to be approved by the league.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=588526

Frisco, Texas, September 15,2011 —The current owner of the Dallas Stars National Hockey League Club, Dallas Stars, L.P., announced today that it and certain of its affiliates have signed an agreement to sell the Stars and all hockey-related assets to entities owned by Vancouver businessman Tom Gaglardi and his family, subject to a court approved auction and NHL approval.

To facilitate the sale, Dallas Stars, L.P. has commenced a voluntary chapter 11 bankruptcy case in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware in Wilmington, including the filing of a “prepackaged” chapter 11 plan. The chapter 11 process has the support of the National Hockey League and the Dallas Stars’ lenders, who voted to accept the prepackaged plan prior to filing. The prepackaged plan provides for a court-supervised auction of the Dallas Stars Club and other hockey-related assets. The purpose of the sale is to allow for a smooth transition in ownership, while ensuring that the Dallas Stars continue to play at the American Airlines Center in Dallas. The Plan provides that the Dallas Stars will pay and perform all of its obligations to its fans, players, employees, and vendors.

The Dallas Stars Club is unequivocally committed to remaining in Dallas and playing its home games at the American Airlines Center. To that end, no bid submitted will be considered that contemplates moving the team from the American Airlines Center in Dallas.

The auction process and sale are subject to Bankruptcy Court and National Hockey League Board of Governors approvals.

The prepackaged plan is the result of negotiations involving input from the National Hockey League and certain of the Club’s senior secured lenders. Because the plan has already garnered substantial support from the Club’s lenders, the Club expects to move through the legal process expeditiously and has requested that the Court hold a hearing in 60-75 days to confirm the plan and proposed sale, allowing the Stars to exit bankruptcy and complete the sale of the franchise by the end of November.

“This is a significant step toward completing the transition in ownership,” said Stars President Tony Tavares. “We are pleased that our lenders have shown substantial support for the plan and the sale process, but the Dallas Stars are focused on one thing: hockey. The players and coaches begin Training Camp on Friday and we are all excited to start the new season.”

The Dallas Stars believe that the legal process will not have an impact on Dallas Stars hockey or its business operations—it is business as usual for the Dallas Stars. The Club has obtained permission from its lenders to use its available cash on hand to fund operations while in chapter 11, and believes this amount is sufficient for such purposes until the sale is finalized.

The Club filed customary motions seeking to ensure that:

* The Stars will be able to operate within their existing budget to sign and acquire amateur, international and professional players;
* Purchased tickets will continue to be honored;
* The fan experience at the American Airlines Center will be unchanged, with all current amenities and promotions continuing as usual;
* All salaries will be timely paid; and
* Stars vendors and suppliers will be fully paid in the ordinary course of business.

The Dallas Stars expect to present all of the customary motions for approval by the Bankruptcy Court at a hearing to be held in Wilmington Monday.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Don't know why I find this hilarious (during a random twitter search for #nhl):
beakeringnews Beaker
RT @CBCAlerts: Meeeep Meeep meeep meep meep meep meep meep Meep. meeeeeeeeep . Meep meep meeep meep meeeeeeeep. #NHL meep meeeeep meep.

Maybe the tweeter's avatar helps:

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 66 MuppetsBeaker_reasonably_small

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 66 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum