You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » Players who you admit you were wrong about

Players who you admit you were wrong about

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Players who you admit you were wrong about Empty Players who you admit you were wrong about on Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:07 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
This should be interesting - depending on how many people weigh in I guess, but I've taken some hard line stances on players throughout the years and been right some of the time - and wrong some of the time.

For example:

After this current season, I'm very impressed with Carey Price holding it all together and taking the next step towards an All-Star. When Halak got traded I thought the Habs had made a horrible mistake. I was wrong.

Da lil Guy

Da lil Guy
Rookie
Rookie
I admit I once advocated, in the presence of others, that we keep Wade Redden and not Zdeno Chara. I was wrong about this.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Da lil Guy wrote:I admit I once advocated, in the presence of others, that we keep Wade Redden and not Zdeno Chara. I was wrong about this.

You're Da Big Guy to admit that.

I was convinced Thomas was a flash in the pan.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Tomas Plekanec is another player I was wrong about.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mikhail Grabovski anyone?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
OH man... it takes abig man to admit he was wrong. you guys are good...
But where do I begin???
Carey Price. I've bashed him so many times in the past years, his lateral movements where scary slow at times and I was sure the organization had rushed him up too fast and he was going out with the trash within a few years. still he was the shinning light last year. if he can keep it up he's a star.
Nikolai Kulemin Had him pegged as a third liner... I don't feel so bad cuz that's what happens when you listen to Bob Mackenzie evaluation. i've been in worst company as far as being wrong

I also thought Plekanek was only good to be a 2nd liner and nothing more... guess I was wrong. I still say he's not elite but he performs really well even without camalerri.... (which btw I was right about, he's a great player... when healthy)

who else... time to fess up.
Facepalm pascale leclaire very disappointed in him. I think he had the skills but the fact that his health was such an issue and the fact that he's probably a bit soft to play suffering with pain makes him there. I thought he'd be good for us.

Da lil Guy

Da lil Guy
Rookie
Rookie
I also once said that I liked the Petr Bondra trade - and to make matters worse, I may have even said publicly (possibly even on the radio) that I thought his addition would be the spark Bonk needed to become an elite playmaker.

I really didn't follow hockey as closely then as I do now.

8Players who you admit you were wrong about Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:23 am

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
My brain usually erases my mistakes so that I have more room to remember the players I defended who turned out great. That being said even I can't get away from the Redden/Chara scenario when I wanted to keep Redden for a myriad of reasons. This was a case of not only being wrong about one player, but two.

9Players who you admit you were wrong about Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:27 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Da lil Guy wrote:I also once said that I liked the Petr Bondra trade - and to make matters worse, I may have even said publicly (possibly even on the radio) that I thought his addition would be the spark Bonk needed to become an elite playmaker.

I really didn't follow hockey as closely then as I do now.

Meh, I felt the same way. I didn't see how getting Marian Hossa's childhood hero would be a negative - especially after he scored in his first game. The move could have gone either way IMO, he had just come off a 30 goal year in Washington (a terrible team), I thought he would be rejuvenated here.

Part of the issues we had (and Bondra had as well) is that Muckler should have also brought in a big, burly forward because the Sens were fairly soft, so they got pushed around in the playoffs, and Bondra sucked and now he goes down as a bad bust, when he should have been good here.

10Players who you admit you were wrong about Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:29 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran
Da lil Guy wrote:I admit I once advocated, in the presence of others, that we keep Wade Redden and not Zdeno Chara. I was wrong about this.

Yeah, I did that too; I predicted that Chara would start having chronic back problems ...

11Players who you admit you were wrong about Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:50 am

Da lil Guy

Da lil Guy
Rookie
Rookie
In my defence (and the defence of others who history has proven were on the wrong side of the Redden/Chara debate), Redden's decline was sudden and stunning.

12Players who you admit you were wrong about Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:11 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I convinced myself that Chara could and would be beaten by smaller players like St.Louis - who schooled him in the playoffs that year. Redden was the puck-moving behemoth of the league, a guy to build around. I have no idea what actually happened to Redden, but it was stunning to watch his decline in front of your eyes - and really upsetting to realize we lost one of the best players ever to don a Sens' uniform because of it.

To this day I think it's a shame we didn't find a way to sign both. Really frustrating.

13Players who you admit you were wrong about Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:34 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Not to discount what you guys are saying, I *never* thought of Redden as being anything special. Good enough, for sure, but nothing special. Chara, on the other hand, was (and still is) the tallest player to ever lace 'em up in this league. For me, that alone, was enough to keep him over Redden. Reden didn't bring anything unique, while Chara certainly did. Big, strong and quick enough for a big man.

14Players who you admit you were wrong about Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:02 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
To be fair, going into that re-signing phase Redden was coming off the best year of his entire career and was looking like he took a step into the upper echelon of defencemen whereas Chara had just had one of the worst stretches of his career in the playoffs. Guys like Briere (speedy players) made him look absolutely useless. This was early-ish on in the "new" NHL too so fans assumed that slower shutdown D were on their way out.

Clearly it has worked out in another way, but at the time I could definitely see the rational.

15Players who you admit you were wrong about Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:19 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
You can add my name to the list that didn’t mind keeping Redden over Chara. As it has been pointed out, Redden’s decline was greatly unexpected. Also, Redden seemed like he wanted to play here more than Chara, which is invaluable.

I really liked Heatley/Hossa swap. I thought Heatley would put us over the top.

I always hated the Sedins, and refused to draft them in pools.

I also thought Tavares would be a bust.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum