You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » Players who you admit you were wrong about

Players who you admit you were wrong about

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

16Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:34 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Not to discount what you guys are saying, I *never* thought of Redden as being anything special. Good enough, for sure, but nothing special. Chara, on the other hand, was (and still is) the tallest player to ever lace 'em up in this league. For me, that alone, was enough to keep him over Redden. Reden didn't bring anything unique, while Chara certainly did. Big, strong and quick enough for a big man.

17Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:02 pm

stempniaksen

Veteran
Veteran
To be fair, going into that re-signing phase Redden was coming off the best year of his entire career and was looking like he took a step into the upper echelon of defencemen whereas Chara had just had one of the worst stretches of his career in the playoffs. Guys like Briere (speedy players) made him look absolutely useless. This was early-ish on in the "new" NHL too so fans assumed that slower shutdown D were on their way out.

Clearly it has worked out in another way, but at the time I could definitely see the rational.

18Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:19 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
You can add my name to the list that didn’t mind keeping Redden over Chara. As it has been pointed out, Redden’s decline was greatly unexpected. Also, Redden seemed like he wanted to play here more than Chara, which is invaluable.

I really liked Heatley/Hossa swap. I thought Heatley would put us over the top.

I always hated the Sedins, and refused to draft them in pools.

I also thought Tavares would be a bust.

19Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:20 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:Not to discount what you guys are saying, I *never* thought of Redden as being anything special. Good enough, for sure, but nothing special. Chara, on the other hand, was (and still is) the tallest player to ever lace 'em up in this league. For me, that alone, was enough to keep him over Redden. Reden didn't bring anything unique, while Chara certainly did. Big, strong and quick enough for a big man.

Redden was the best first-passer in the league IMO - perhaps besides Neidermayer and Lidstrom. When he got the puck in the defensive zone, he'd always make passes that broke any kind of neutral zone trap and made us a terrifying transition team. Yes, it helped that we had a ton of talent, but a lot of that came from Redden's filthy outlet passes.

On the PP, Redden was calm and collected - and again, an amazing passer. Guys had to respect his passes so much that they broke their formations all the time - leading to tap ins.

Redden was amazing. What happened to him is still a mystery. The two most common theories are: a)he got hit too much in the defensive zone making those passes and his body started to give in or b)he got addicted to cocaine and it screwed up his game. Plus his mother died and that really got him emotionally.

I don't think the decision of Redden over Chara was as bad as Muckler not finding a way to sign both.

20Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:44 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran
I've always been on the 'beat down on Jason Spezza' wagon, and admittedly was a proponent of the Spezza trade out of town.

I will never be a Spezza fanatic, but I will man up and agree that he has shown a maturity and responsible side in the latter half of last season, and I do expect he'll continue on this path, as he takes a leadership role with the kids around

21Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:46 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
It was the cocaine. The way his eyes got that sunken-in look, along with the dark shadows...definitely drugs.

22Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
tim1_2 wrote:It was the cocaine. The way his eyes got that sunken-in look, along with the dark shadows...definitely drugs.

Damn shame he ruined what was already an illustrious career.

23Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:06 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran
Ray Emery. After the Cup run I thought he was the guy for the next 10 years.

24Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:10 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
dennycrane wrote:Ray Emery. After the Cup run I thought he was the guy for the next 10 years.

Oh ya, good call.

25Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:56 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
I thought Tim Thomas was horribly inconsistent and that he'd never stick. When people mentioned a potential trade to Ottawa this year (to make room for the emergence of Rask), I thought it would be a terrible idea and that he'd be an anchor of a contract. Whoops.

I originally liked the Kovalev signing.

26Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:00 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran
stempniaksen wrote:To be fair, going into that re-signing phase Redden was coming off the best year of his entire career and was looking like he took a step into the upper echelon of defencemen whereas Chara had just had one of the worst stretches of his career in the playoffs. Guys like Briere (speedy players) made him look absolutely useless. This was early-ish on in the "new" NHL too so fans assumed that slower shutdown D were on their way out.

Clearly it has worked out in another way, but at the time I could definitely see the rational.

Don't forget in that playoff Chara had a broken hand. Hindsight... would the Sens have won the Cup with Chara in the lineup? Would he make that much of a difference?
I wanted Chara kept.... thank's Muckler.

27Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:02 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran
SpezDispenser wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:It was the cocaine. The way his eyes got that sunken-in look, along with the dark shadows...definitely drugs.

Damn shame he ruined what was already an illustrious career.

I think the death of his mom was extremely hard on him... that probably led to those other issues. Emery, McGratton... maybe they helped Redden the wrong way.

28Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:38 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
We should have kept Chara over Redden.

29Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:59 pm

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore
Did we have a choice about Chara?

It wasn't so much deciding to keep Chara over Redden. I could be wrong, I think Neely has some insight, but I thought it was more a combination of wanting to step into the leader role, money and also how they treated Hossa.

I'll eat some crow...I really thought Kovalev would work out for us. I thought his creativity and PowerPlay ability would help the team.

I'll admit to thinking it would work out and being completly wrong. I also thought the Bondra deal was a good one as too. It may just prove that the only good scorers you can trade for/sign will cost you big time to acquire and if they are relatively cheap it's likely because they are over the hill

30Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:01 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
Captain Hindsight wrote:We should have kept Chara over Redden.
Laugh1

31Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:26 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod
22_4_ever wrote:Did we have a choice about Chara?

It wasn't so much deciding to keep Chara over Redden. I could be wrong, I think Neely has some insight, but I thought it was more a combination of wanting to step into the leader role, money and also how they treated Hossa.

I'll eat some crow...I really thought Kovalev would work out for us. I thought his creativity and PowerPlay ability would help the team.

I'll admit to thinking it would work out and being completly wrong. I also thought the Bondra deal was a good one as too. It may just prove that the only good scorers you can trade for/sign will cost you big time to acquire and if they are relatively cheap it's likely because they are over the hill

Muckler never offered him a contract. It's actually that simple.

32Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:29 pm

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore
NEELY wrote:
22_4_ever wrote:Did we have a choice about Chara?

Muckler never offered him a contract. It's actually that simple.

Well then,

I think that in itself answers the question as to who is the better GM, Murray or Muckler?

33Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 2 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:05 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
Oh man. In retrospect I'm wrong about pretty much everything. Off the top of my head and pretty much just related to the Sens:

I was excited for Commodore and he didn't really work out here I was somewhat optimistic for Kovalev - I thought he could at least be a decent secondary scorer for us.

I liked the Gonchar signing and I'm still not saying the book has closed there. Let's see what happens next season.

I hated on Kelly for quite a while but he became awesome last year. I remember thinking Redden might turn it around a bit in his contract year but obviously that didn't happen.

I defended Emery and Meszaros and was reluctant about (thinking about) trading Schubert because I thought he had potential given his size, speed, and shot. This is probably the worst one LOL.

I didn't like the idea of Matt Carkner being on the team in 2009-2010 but he became a (minor) revelation at the time.

I remember a lot of us thinking JOB could be our future 2nd line C.

I defended Gerbage and liked the acquisition of Leclaire. I was also one of the people who hyped Elliott ("he reminds me of Belfour").

I majorly hyped up Swedish prospects like Hedman, MPS, and Larsson and then they slowed down in development before the draft. But obviously the book's not closed there.

I hyped Regin and then he had an awful year last year outside of a brief stretch where he, Spezza and Kovalev were the top line. But at least I protested last off-season that we couldn't write Regin into the 1st line C spot. Book's not closed there.

I was defending Foligno as a possible winger Fisher but I'm starting to think he won't be more than a 2nd/3rd line tweener. I guess he's kind of like Fisher mixed with Vermette but minus a little bit of offence.

At least I wasn't wrong about Cheechoo lol. And I defended Lee for a while and now at least it looks like he is/can become a serviceable defenceman. And I defended Spezza (but also Heatley, though I made it clear that I'd prefer to keep Spezza over Heatley).

Man it's been a a bit of a ride. I remember joining up in early 2007 on HB, after realizing how bad HTR was, back when the regulars were 504Heater, wprager, jamvan, and that guy who became mayoradamwest on HF but has kind of disappeared it seems. Back when our forum was just the comment section of Kevin Lee's articles.

I guess now's an OK time to say I probably won't be around much next season. Of course I'll still check in to see how everything's going but because I won't be able to watch many games I won't be able to provide my (clearly expert) analysis.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum