You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » Players who you admit you were wrong about

Players who you admit you were wrong about

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

46Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:30 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
where you headed, asq2?

47Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:04 am

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
yeah i remember a few poster from HB. I was on ther i think 2007-08. before i found this site. if anything at least HB led me here. i think it was cat clutch that kept droping the GMhocke.com tag all the time. AsQ was there neely, heater quite few people from the ended up here I think.

48Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:09 am

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
I was also wrong about Emery. but who wasn't i think. after that cup run I think the collective mentality was he was our man. I can't reacll ever getting behind the idea of Elliott being a number 1 or ever wanting kovalev here. EVER. I've hated him in montreal for his inconsistencies, nothing was going to change when he got here. the guy needs to be worshipped to perform abd it wasn't working out too well for him there.
Sergei Kostityn... not wrong either (so far) I used to say I thought he's end up better then his brother and he's on his way to oing that. we could of had him for a bag of pucks or hennessy(pretty much the same value). hindsight eh...

49Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:26 am

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran
Kyle Turris- He still has time to turn it around, but I saw him as a potential elite player down the road.

Crosby- I never expected him to develop into a strong leader and become mature, or pretty much the best player in the game.

P.K. Subban- Thought he would be a bust and amount to just about nothing.

Never expected Briere to do so well, same with the Sedins.

I also expected Bouwmeester to be an elite defenseman.

50Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:30 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
Tuk Tuk wrote:Kyle Turris- He still has time to turn it around, but I saw him as a potential elite player down the road.

Crosby- I never expected him to develop into a strong leader and become mature, or pretty much the best player in the game.

oh man so right there.... boy do I feel stupid now. It's the mistery of life. he was great on one of the Dung teams that can't manage to build their own guys and now he's hit a low with calgary. something is wrong in calgary. players are dying over there. would anyone think him a trader if igilna secretly requested a trade out of there? I'd understand. getting on with age and will never win a cup with calgary. it's sad.

51Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:16 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Captain Hindsight wrote:I'd also like to point out, SpezD, on how wrong you were about Fleury. You said he was a garbage goalie, yet he has proven to be $$.

I still don't like him and thought he was weak this past playoffs, but yes, he's a Cup champ.

So easily beatable though...not someone I'd ever be intimidated by.

52Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:52 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I thought Dion Phaneuf would be the total package.

53Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:38 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I thought Dion Phaneuf would be the total package.

I thought my package was Dion Phaneuf. DOUBLE DION!!!! MONSTER!!!!!!! WHAAAAAAAT!

54Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
SpezDispenser wrote:
Captain Hindsight wrote:I'd also like to point out, SpezD, on how wrong you were about Fleury. You said he was a garbage goalie, yet he has proven to be $$.

I still don't like him and thought he was weak this past playoffs, but yes, he's a Cup champ.

So easily beatable though...not someone I'd ever be intimidated by.
i'm not convinced either. although that goal he saved in the final game i think when pittsburg won the cup. the one we're he's kind of flying across the crease. that's a beauty. partick roy style. the rest of the time.... he's pretty regular.

55Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:19 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
EDIT: Whoops, posted this in the wrong thread.

Assuming plans don’t fall apart I’ll be in a time zone where it’s going to be hard to watch anything other than afternoon games. Unless you can record online streams (?). I’m probably kidding myself thinking I won’t be on hockey fora but I probably won’t be able to do much other than ask about performances.

Anyway I was thinking more about all the times I’ve been wrong (and perusing hockeydb) and I came up with (hopefully) a comprehensive list (if you include what I said before). Feel free to add anything if you remember it though. Some are pretty minor, some are pretty bad. Laugh1

• I thought Erik Johnson was likely to end up the best defenceman in the NHL but I didn’t care much for Jack Johnson
• I thought Bogosian could be as good as Doughty
• I was high on JBo and Pitkanen and Cam Barker at various times
• I thought the Heatley and Spezza (and Schubert and Emery) contracts were all really good deals by Murray
• I thought the Habs shouldn’t trade the Kostitsyns for the Sedins (!). This is pre-Sedins breaking out and the Kostitsyns pre-off-ice controversy, but still bad
• I thought Drury and Gomez were overpaid but would make NYR really good
• I thought Jordan Schroeder was a great prospect
• I said Michalek was streaky but I got caught up in his early success and thought he could be like a new Hossa for us (hopefully he looks better on the right but I’m not holding my breath for him to reach Hoss level)
• I thought Olli Jokinen was becoming the Finnish Iginla and that he’d help out Phoenix and that the Sens should have acquired him in ‘06
• I liked Kyle Turris a lot (still time there)
• I thought Chris Higgins was going to be awesome
• I thought Lebda was a decent deal for the Leafs (!). Obviously I was blind to how sheltered he was by the DRW system
• I thought the Habs made a mistake keeping Price over Halak
• I thought Brunnstrom would be a top-6 forward in the NHL long-term
• I thought Russia would seriously challenge Canada at the Olympics and didn’t care that much for the US team (going in)
• Time was we all thought Datsyuk would never be able to get it done in the playoffs (!)
• I thought Voracek would break out as a star (still time)
• I thought DiPietro was a good goalie (briefly, in the year NYI made the playoffs)
• I liked the Bondra acquisition
• I thought Antropov was a bust
• I thought Kaberle would be a perennial star
• I don’t remember whether my liking and disliking Souray coincided with his good and bad years
• I thought P O’Sullivan had a great future
• I thought the Sens should steer clear of Cammalleri in FA
• I liked Nik Zherdev and Miro Satan
• I thought Skinner was over-rated (!). Though I still think he benefits from Staal, but who wouldn’t?
• I thought we should steer clear of Tim Thomas (!)
• I thought Malkin > and would continue to > Crosby
• Before that I thought Pitts should keep Staal over Malkin
• I thought Toskala was a good goalie early in his Leaf tenure and one worth trading for
• I thought Pogge and Jeff Glass had good NHL futures
• I thought Ryan Parent would be a really good defenceman – same goes for Paul Ranger
• Didn’t we think at one point that Bobby Ryan was a bust?
• I thought Dainius Zubrus would be a near-star
• I thought Tyler Arnason was an OK acquisition
• I liked Jason Blake (pre-Leafs)
• I thought Trent Hunter would be a near-star
• I thought D. Wideman and Chris Campoli were and would continue to be really good d-men (pre trade for Campoli – I did dislike the move we made for him)
• I thought Petr Prucha and Marek Svatos and Brad Boyes and to a lesser extent Lee Stempniak would be stars
• I thought Rolston was a good add by NJ
• I thought PM Bouchard would be the new Datsyuk (concussions at fault here IMO; BTW check out the PMB mix by Hegezz on Youtube, it’s awesome)
• I thought Manny Fernandez would continue to be a star
• I thought Josh Harding would become one
• I liked Lukas Krajicek
• I like Nilsson and Cogliano (pre-Heatley fiasco) and thought they and Gagner were the Oilers’ future
• I liked Denis Grebeshkov a lot
• I thought Richard Tarnstrom was a really good d-man basically because of one year where he led a terrible Pens team in scoring
• I thought Brian Campbell could put the Sharks over the hump
• I thought Seto would be a star, then I thought he was pretty much done (truth is in the middle but more towards him being a star, I guess)
• Thought Matt Carle would be a star
• Liked Lukas Kaspar’s future in the NHL
• Thought Niskanen was and would continue to be terrific early in his Dallas years
• Thought Mueller and to a lesser extent Hanzal would be stars
• Didn’t care much for Jon Quick
• Thought Samsonov would continue to be a star and was a pretty good acquisition by MTL
• Liked Cory Murphy and thought Sens should nab him
• Thought Brian Little would be a star
• Liked Exelby’s future (but before the Leafs got him – by then I had realized he was pretty bad)
• Thought Smaby and Lundin would be key pieces on TB’s blue-line long-term
• Liked Mike Smith
• Thought Sens should maybe go after Petr Nedved
• Thought Niitymaki was Philly’s goalie of the future
• Was pissed that we missed out on Nick Petrecki in 2007
• Thought Repik and Frolik and Matthias would be stars/near-stars
• Thought Brooks Orpik was a bust and MAF a disappointment (still obviously wouldn’t take him first in ’03)
• Thought Craig Conroy was a near-star and liked Huselius
• Thought Wolski would be a star
• Thought Theodore would continue to be a great goalie
• Thought the return (Lupul+) for Pronger was pretty good for Edmonton
• Thought Smid would be a near-star
• Thought we should acquire Kyle MacLaren and also Philippe Boucher
• Thought Nagy could be a star
• Thought Frolov would be a star for a long time in the NHL
• Liked the Kuba acquisition
• Always thought Josef Vasicek would break out
• Thought Horton wouldn’t be that good in Boston
• Liked the Mike Van Ryn acquisition for the Leafs
• Thought Perron and Latendresse would be stars by now
• Thought the Grabovski acquisition was pretty bad by the Leafs
• Thought the Streit signing was a bad deal by NYI (I think)
• Thought Chipchura would be a premier shut-down forward
• Thought Ian White had no real future in the NHL and later thought he’d be awesome for Calgary
• Thought Colaiacovo was going to be sick (I guess in another sense he was)
• Thought the Sens should sign Forsberg
• Thought Sens should maybe go after Aucoin
• Thought Lang to Detroit was awesome for them
• Thought Jason Williams would be a near-star
• Thought Hudler and Filpulla would be the new stars for DRW after Dats and Z (we’ll see but I doubt it now)
• Thought Bochenski had an outside shot at the ’06 Calder (lol!). This was in the pre-season
• Thought Dan Paille would be awesome and early Fisher-esque
• Thought Jeff O’Neill was/would continue to be a star
• Liked the Jason Smith acquisition, if not the amount
• Liked Paul Mara a lot in Phoenix and thought he’d continue to be a terrific d-man
• Thought Steve Mason was going to be a multiple Vezina winner (we’ll see)
• Thought Josh Bailey would have broken out by now
• Thought Cody Hodgson would be a star
• Liked Patrice Cormier (pre-“incidents”)
• Thought Radulov would be Nashville’s franchise player long-term
• Thought Berglund would have broken out by now (but he seems to be doing so)
• Thought highly of Blake Wheeler after his first year in Boston
• Thought MacArthur was a pretty irrelevant addition by TML
• Didn’t think much of Grabner pre-NYI
• Liked Andrew Ebbett
• Thought Boedker and Tikhonov would have broken out in the NHL by now

EDIT: And oh yeah, I thought Phaneuf was going to win a lot of Norrises, like everyone else.

So in summary, never, ever listen to me.

56Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:26 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Laugh1 I'm guilty of like....90% of those.

57Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:54 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
Also didn't well all mock MTL for acquiring Gill? That worked out reasonably well for them. At least in the playoffs.

58Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:02 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Flo The Action wrote:
Tuk Tuk wrote:Kyle Turris- He still has time to turn it around, but I saw him as a potential elite player down the road.

oh man so right there.... boy do I feel stupid now. It's the mistery of life. he was great on one of the Dung teams that can't manage to build their own guys and now he's hit a low with calgary. something is wrong in calgary. players are dying over there. would anyone think him a trader if igilna secretly requested a trade out of there? I'd understand. getting on with age and will never win a cup with calgary. it's sad.
HA! Bouwmeester! I remember people here gushing over him like crazy, predicting all kinds of huge things... ah well... live and learn...

59Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:03 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
asq2 wrote:Assuming plans don’t fall apart I’ll be in a time zone where it’s going to be hard to watch anything other than afternoon games. Unless you can record online streams (?). I’m probably kidding myself thinking I won’t be on hockey fora but I probably won’t be able to do much other than ask about performances.
PVR + Slingbox + Internet + Laptop with SlingPlayer = WHAT YOU NEED.

http://www.slingbox.com/

60Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:10 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
shabbs wrote:
asq2 wrote:Assuming plans don’t fall apart I’ll be in a time zone where it’s going to be hard to watch anything other than afternoon games. Unless you can record online streams (?). I’m probably kidding myself thinking I won’t be on hockey fora but I probably won’t be able to do much other than ask about performances.
PVR + Slingbox + Internet + Laptop with SlingPlayer = WHAT YOU NEED.

http://www.slingbox.com/

Cheers

Thanks shabbs!

I'll check it out for sure. But it might be a bit unexciting to watch games if I already know what the result is. So in that case I'd have to hide from the rest of the internet.

61Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:22 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
asq2 wrote:Also didn't well all mock MTL for acquiring Gill? That worked out reasonably well for them. At least in the playoffs.

If I really wanted to, I'm sure I could 'remember' about 1000 more things I was wrong about.

- I also really didn't/don't like Jack Johnson for example, but he's doing it over there

- I would have bet the farm that Emery was the guy for us

- I laughed at Montreal trading Halak and keeping Price

- I laughed at Montreal for paying Plekanec 5 million or whatever it was

- I laughed at Montreal for acquiring Gill

- I didn't think Datsyuk could ever take it to the next level

- I thought Kovalev would at least replicate his 65 point season from Montreal

and so on...

62Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:12 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
I guess the conclusion you could draw is that we don't have the same calibre of hockey mind as someone like, say, Anders Forsberg (which, obviously, I don't). Although even then it's conceivable that maybe he isn't really that special and there are plenty of other teams with Swedish scouts who see the same talent but don't have the same sway with their GMs. Of course that doesn't explain us passing on Paajarvi and then Edmonton taking him.

The thing is there are always players every year who step up out of nowhere or who fall off the map. It's hard to predict for us fans because we can only go by what we see and read. There are so many reasons for a change of performance:

-some personal, off-ice issue (like Redden's mother passing away or Luke Richardson's daughter)
-a great summer of training or a lazy summer (like Doughty's last year, apparently)
-injuries and willingness to play through them
-meshing or playing poorly with new team-mates
-unforeseen locker room issues, by me anyway (I didn't anticipate the extent of Philly's re-design)
-a change of coach and/or system
-a feud with the coach (like, apparently, all of the Avs and Joe Sacco)
-other teams "getting the book" on a certain player
-players who have above average or unexpected amounts of dedication towards improving their game

We don't usually know about these things.

And with prospects, if you see someone who isn't ridiculously small and has a high level of talent, you're always going to think they have a chance to be a good/great player in the NHL. I went overboard with guys like MPS and Hedman because they were showing such great promise a year+ before their draft years. At that point, largely because of their talent and early-blooming physical maturity, you're so impressed by their ability to make plays against men that you don't necessarily see flaws in their hockey IQ or other areas of their games. You assume that they'll adjust and their learning curves will continue at that pace.

Anyway, although it's disappointing when things don't work out the unpredictability of hockey is what makes it exciting IMO. And it means that fans always have a reason to hope.

So I stick by my mistakes. I wasn't talking out of my ***. Razz Sarcasm

63Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 4 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:36 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Damn yeah, Asq.

There's a myriad of things to take into account. I feel that's part of the fun of being a "super" fan, or whatever you call it, there's a lot of info out there and it's really interesting to watch a player either blossom or wilt.

Circumstances can always play into it so many ways, like Cheechoo being damaged to the point where he was useless, coaches, systems, locker room issues, players with huge cap/money hits that don't live up to it and draw the ire of the organization and players. On an on...a lot of fun to armchair GM IMO.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum