GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » Players who you admit you were wrong about

Players who you admit you were wrong about

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

61Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 5 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:22 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
asq2 wrote:Also didn't well all mock MTL for acquiring Gill? That worked out reasonably well for them. At least in the playoffs.

If I really wanted to, I'm sure I could 'remember' about 1000 more things I was wrong about.

- I also really didn't/don't like Jack Johnson for example, but he's doing it over there

- I would have bet the farm that Emery was the guy for us

- I laughed at Montreal trading Halak and keeping Price

- I laughed at Montreal for paying Plekanec 5 million or whatever it was

- I laughed at Montreal for acquiring Gill

- I didn't think Datsyuk could ever take it to the next level

- I thought Kovalev would at least replicate his 65 point season from Montreal

and so on...

62Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 5 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:12 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star
I guess the conclusion you could draw is that we don't have the same calibre of hockey mind as someone like, say, Anders Forsberg (which, obviously, I don't). Although even then it's conceivable that maybe he isn't really that special and there are plenty of other teams with Swedish scouts who see the same talent but don't have the same sway with their GMs. Of course that doesn't explain us passing on Paajarvi and then Edmonton taking him.

The thing is there are always players every year who step up out of nowhere or who fall off the map. It's hard to predict for us fans because we can only go by what we see and read. There are so many reasons for a change of performance:

-some personal, off-ice issue (like Redden's mother passing away or Luke Richardson's daughter)
-a great summer of training or a lazy summer (like Doughty's last year, apparently)
-injuries and willingness to play through them
-meshing or playing poorly with new team-mates
-unforeseen locker room issues, by me anyway (I didn't anticipate the extent of Philly's re-design)
-a change of coach and/or system
-a feud with the coach (like, apparently, all of the Avs and Joe Sacco)
-other teams "getting the book" on a certain player
-players who have above average or unexpected amounts of dedication towards improving their game

We don't usually know about these things.

And with prospects, if you see someone who isn't ridiculously small and has a high level of talent, you're always going to think they have a chance to be a good/great player in the NHL. I went overboard with guys like MPS and Hedman because they were showing such great promise a year+ before their draft years. At that point, largely because of their talent and early-blooming physical maturity, you're so impressed by their ability to make plays against men that you don't necessarily see flaws in their hockey IQ or other areas of their games. You assume that they'll adjust and their learning curves will continue at that pace.

Anyway, although it's disappointing when things don't work out the unpredictability of hockey is what makes it exciting IMO. And it means that fans always have a reason to hope.

So I stick by my mistakes. I wasn't talking out of my ***. Razz Sarcasm

63Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 5 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:36 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Damn yeah, Asq.

There's a myriad of things to take into account. I feel that's part of the fun of being a "super" fan, or whatever you call it, there's a lot of info out there and it's really interesting to watch a player either blossom or wilt.

Circumstances can always play into it so many ways, like Cheechoo being damaged to the point where he was useless, coaches, systems, locker room issues, players with huge cap/money hits that don't live up to it and draw the ire of the organization and players. On an on...a lot of fun to armchair GM IMO.

64Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 5 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:49 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
I think I'm only guilty of believing about 50% of the stuff on asq's list. Makes me feel smart, haha.

Granted there are definitely a bunch of things I'm wrong about all the time as well, lol.

Two that come to mind are E.Johnson and Mueller, but both those guys could turn it around.

65Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 5 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:17 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
Can asq's last two posts be acknowledged with some sort of post-of-the-year award? Wow. TowelWave

66Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 5 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:07 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SpezDispenser wrote:Damn yeah, Asq.

There's a myriad of things to take into account. I feel that's part of the fun of being a "super" fan, or whatever you call it, there's a lot of info out there and it's really interesting to watch a player either blossom or wilt.

Circumstances can always play into it so many ways, like Cheechoo being damaged to the point where he was useless, coaches, systems, locker room issues, players with huge cap/money hits that don't live up to it and draw the ire of the organization and players. On an on...a lot of fun to armchair GM IMO.
we are not mere fans we are "super fans"!!! Ahhhhh!

67Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 5 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:47 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
tim1_2 wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I thought Dion Phaneuf would be the total package.

I thought my package was Dion Phaneuf. DOUBLE DION!!!! MONSTER!!!!!!! WHAAAAAAAT!

Ahhhhh! Vertigo

68Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 5 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:48 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Sean Avery. Thought initially that he was just a super-pest and I didn't like his game whatsoever. After watching him since his 'rehab' he's turned into quite the effective player.

Patrice Bergeron. Couldn't believe Yzerman put him on team Canada. I always thought he was undersized and shied away from contact. Injuries aside he's one of the most underrated players in the NHL and a perfect fit for the Bruins.

Tomas Kaberle. I thought he was the heart and soul of the Leafs, especially on their powerplay. Figured he kept invoking his no-trade clause because he wanted to remain a Leaf but it really looked like he was doing it so he wouldn't have to move. Time and time again trading him was the best option for the team to improve as a whole yet he was selfish and didn't do what's best for everyone around him. Now, he refuses to shoot the puck on the PP, his vision is okay not great (mainly passes along the blueline), he's no longer physical, and he's not a threat in the defensive zone. All this exemplified by his time with the Bruins in their cup run. Kaberle, in my opinion, the most overrated player in the NHL.

69Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 5 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:50 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Oh, and Mike Komisarek is pretty awful too. Whatever happened to Jeff Finger?

70Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 5 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:53 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Jeffy got fingered? Isn't that a movie or something. Wink

71Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 5 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:03 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
He's actually on his last year of his contract making $3.5 to play in the A. I guess his career is likely over after this, eh?

72Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 5 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:09 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
finger got a bum deal if you ask me. never should of gotten that kind of money but i think he can stillbe a servicable 5th or 6 th D. I hope he gets another shot because it would suck to see more players get sucked under with the leafs.

73Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 5 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:20 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Tomas Kaberle. Time and time again trading him was the best option for the team to improve as a whole yet he was selfish and didn't do what's best for everyone around him.

I'll never understand this logic. How is it selfish to invoke the no-trade clause that your team gave you as a demonstration of what you mean to them? Why would anyone "do what's best" for the same people that are telling you that they don't want you anymore, even though they contractually committed to you?

74Players who you admit you were wrong about - Page 5 Empty Re: Players who you admit you were wrong about on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:23 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
Flo The Action wrote:finger got a bum deal if you ask me. never should of gotten that kind of money but i think he can stillbe a servicable 5th or 6 th D. I hope he gets another shot because it would suck to see more players get sucked under with the leafs.

Ya. The millions of dollars are nice, but it sucks for the Fingers and Reddens of this world that they're effectively being punished for accepting an offer, even if the offer was recklessly generous.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum