You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » Yahoo! Sports ranks the league's top 25 centers

Yahoo! Sports ranks the league's top 25 centers

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
stempniaksen wrote:
wprager wrote:I have *a couple small* issues with that. First, three years ago he 73 points. Not fantastic, but more than Tavares or Staal (Jorda) have ever done. So it's not exactly fair to say he's had 3 sub-par seasons. Also, regarding his half-season of good defensive play, two seasons ago he started slowly (offensively) but a lot of that had to do with his good defensive play -- in fact, he finished up -1 on a so-so team. So I think it's more fair to say that he has applied himself defensively for two seasons (although he missed significant portions of both of them).

I'm with ya, but is it so far fetched that some in the media who haven't seen his day to day progression would be worried when Jason is going into this season surrounded by garbage in the top-six?

He's not the only guy that was snubbed either so we (as Sens fans) shouldn't act like this list is the be all end all, when it's just the opinion of one sports writer (who seems to be a bit of a moron).

No, yeah, I get it. I started this off by saying I'm biased, but I just don't see Tavares or even Stamkos up there. Certainly not as centers -- to me a center should be much more rounded than what Stamkos brings. Maybe in a few years, but not now. Same for some other names on that list.

Da lil Guy

Rookie
Rookie
I can't believe Spezza's not on that list.

Guys like Staal, Backes are great players. Tavares has been good, and maybe he has the potential to be better, but none of them are close to Spezza.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pleks and Bolland but not Spezza... hmmmm... not sure about that... but that may be my Sens bias coming through.

Anze Kopitar... dare to dream...

Last edited by shabbs on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Da lil Guy

Da lil Guy
Rookie
Rookie
The worst part for me is that Spezza gets an 'honourable mention' - which means that even after considering Spezza, he found him to be behind those others.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Plekanec isn't really known as a defensive stalwart. He's OK but, really, nothing spectacular. Just took a look at his offensive stats and they really aren't better than Spezza's have been lately and, certainly, nowhere where Spezza's have been when playing on a team that could score. It would also take quite a bit of convincing to get me to rank Kopitar higher. I already put down my question about Jordan Staal -- he's been playing behind Crosby and Malkin -- there isn't a team that can shut down three lines. It's not like they match up player for player -- they'll put their best line/pair out against Sid, and the next best against Malkin. Who's left to check Staal?

Bah! Is it October yet? That's the only way to shut this guy up.

NEELY

Mod
Mod
In all honesty, league wide, what has Spezza done in the last 3 or 4 years to say he is a sure fire top 25 center? I like the way he has come around and think he may be the right guy to lead The Sens going forward but that's just me as a Sens fan talking.

This isn't the gospel either but I somewhat agree. Top 15 (no chance) after that a lot of guys are interchangable.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
NEELY wrote:In all honesty, league wide, what has Spezza done in the last 3 or 4 years to say he is a sure fire top 25 center? I like the way he has come around and think he may be the right guy to lead The Sens going forward but that's just me as a Sens fan talking.

This isn't the gospel either but I somewhat agree. Top 15 (no chance) after that a lot of guys are interchangable.

What has Plekanec done in the last 3-4 years? under 60 points, on average, and the most games he's missed is 5 games.

I wasn't really arguing that Spezza should have been in the top-25; just raising my eyebrows about some of the other selections that *did* make it. Spezza was penalized for having a couple of injury-shortened seasons and one bad season (relative to his career averages). In the same survey, they left in Lecavalier (who's been well under a PPG the last three seasons) and Crosby is #1 after missing a half season and not even returning for the playoffs. If they are projecting who the top-25 will be in this up-coming season, then there's no way Lecavalier should be anywhere near that list (steady decline for 4 seasons, now); and Crosby has not had a full workout yet and he's #1.

Jordan Staal is a wonderful player, but he's playing third line center behind Crosby and Malkin. Sure, he's got better stats than Kelly, but he should, really. Put Malkin on the wing with Crosby and move Staal up to center the 2nd line -- does anybody think that, all of a sudden, he gets 90 points?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
NEELY wrote:In all honesty, league wide, what has Spezza done in the last 3 or 4 years to say he is a sure fire top 25 center? I like the way he has come around and think he may be the right guy to lead The Sens going forward but that's just me as a Sens fan talking.

He's almost at a PPG pace over the last four years despite two serious injuries, plus injuries to his linemates (Alfie and Spezza). He's really developed a much better defensive game and was putting up better than a PPG playing with AHLers on his wing, while taking a regular shift on the penalty kill as well as the 5 on 5 and powerplay.

And he's almost stopped giggling in interviews.

Seriously, though, you look at the stats, and they are better than many on that list. I realize you said the bottom 10 of that list are interchangeable, but a few of those names should not be in that list. Maybe Spezza shouldn't, either. I really don't know about enough of the 2nd line centers on all 30 teams, but I've watched enough of most of the Eastern Conference teams to say I'd take Spezza over Plekanec, Staal (both of them, in fact -- yeah, I'm just negatively biased against Eric) and a bunch of others.

NEELY

Mod
Mod
wprager wrote:

He's almost at a PPG pace over the last four years despite two serious injuries, plus injuries to his linemates (Alfie and Spezza). He's really developed a much better defensive game and was putting up better than a PPG playing with AHLers on his wing, while taking a regular shift on the penalty kill as well as the 5 on 5 and powerplay.

And he's almost stopped giggling in interviews.

Seriously, though, you look at the stats, and they are better than many on that list. I realize you said the bottom 10 of that list are interchangeable, but a few of those names should not be in that list. Maybe Spezza shouldn't, either. I really don't know about enough of the 2nd line centers on all 30 teams, but I've watched enough of most of the Eastern Conference teams to say I'd take Spezza over Plekanec, Staal (both of them, in fact -- yeah, I'm just negatively biased against Eric) and a bunch of others.

Pretty under rated player so I'll disagree there, J. Staal, I don't think anyone can say with any certainty how good he actually is playing behind Malkin and Crosby. There are also guys like Ribiero and Statsny who are right up there with Spezza in terms of PPG. Clearly, the amount of points these players put up was secondary to their all around games, which I agree with in terms of evaluating a player.

I personally would have Spezza in the top 25 because I think his all around game is getting their and he does have some intangibles at this point. Last year I don't think I would have.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I've seen enough of Plekanec to have an opinion. I'll go as far as saying that my initial opinion of him has changed, but he is not a Jedi yet. I'd definitely still take Spezza over Plekanec. Mind you, he *is* making $2M less.

I'd really, really like to see Staal as a 2nd line center. So many people are saying so much about how great he is -- well, playing 3rd line is not the same as playing the top line. And I'm sure he wouldn't mind it himself as I don't see a 3rd line center getting a significant raise from his $4M.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Who gives a Diddle what Yahoo has to say. If it's not Puck Daddy making cracks at everyone (which gets old...immediately), it's someone else who doesn't know what they're talking about when it comes specifically down to the Sens.

We know what we're talking about when it comes down to the Sens, that's enough. There are very few 'experts' I give a flying Diddle about, Bobby Mac is one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum