You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » NHL looking at some rule changes

NHL looking at some rule changes

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:17 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:Don't mind the hand pass rule changes at all. You're still not allowed to close your hand on the puck. This would eliminate whistles when the guy jumps up in the air to bat it down only to have it go to a team mate instead of himself. A different take on the "slap pass".

I never could stand the trapezoid and I'll be glad to see it gone. One skate in the crease to freeze a puck is going to create more stupid replays. I hope they leave that one up to the ref's discretion and not be like the old skate in the crease fiasco.

Not sure about the goalies being fair game to forecheckers. They may be better protected but only from the impact by a small rubber disk, not a 200+ lb player traveling at 40 mph or more. All that bulky equipment only serves to make them far less mobile. Now, if they did away with the instigator, sure.

What's this about the red line? They want to re-introduce the red-line but nothing for no-touch icings?

I think if your dumb enough to saunter out in that bulky equipment to chase down a puck and know you're fair game then to bad so sad.

You won't be saying that in February/March when the Leafs are done and we're fighting for a playoff spot and some Marily callup eager to make a name for himself runs through Anderson.
I assume you mean 2-3 years from now?

17NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:19 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Need I remind you of the Colorado Avalanche the year before last? They were fairly similar to us - including one of the finalists for the Hart and Vezina, Craig Anderson.

All that to say...who the heck knows?

18NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:00 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:Don't mind the hand pass rule changes at all. You're still not allowed to close your hand on the puck. This would eliminate whistles when the guy jumps up in the air to bat it down only to have it go to a team mate instead of himself. A different take on the "slap pass".

I never could stand the trapezoid and I'll be glad to see it gone. One skate in the crease to freeze a puck is going to create more stupid replays. I hope they leave that one up to the ref's discretion and not be like the old skate in the crease fiasco.

Not sure about the goalies being fair game to forecheckers. They may be better protected but only from the impact by a small rubber disk, not a 200+ lb player traveling at 40 mph or more. All that bulky equipment only serves to make them far less mobile. Now, if they did away with the instigator, sure.

What's this about the red line? They want to re-introduce the red-line but nothing for no-touch icings?

I think if your dumb enough to saunter out in that bulky equipment to chase down a puck and know you're fair game then to bad so sad.

You won't be saying that in February/March when the Leafs are done and we're fighting for a playoff spot and some Marily callup eager to make a name for himself runs through Anderson.
I assume you mean 2-3 years from now?

Nope. I'll say it right now -- Florida and Philly have destroyed team chemistry in a big way. Buffalo as well, if to a lesser extent (you don't think the old-guard Sabres will feel a little resentment about some of those recent contracts given out to free agents?) I think Toronto is going to be disappointed with Reimer just like Washington was with Varlamov and Philly was with Bobrovsky -- having a good 37 game season when all pressure was off and nobody had the book on you is not the same as what he will face now. Boston got older, not necessarily better.

Look, I'm not saying we are magically better than any of those teams, but I think there are more opportunities to win a few more games here and there. And that's all it might take.

19NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:00 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sad to see that no-touch icing was not on the list. That needs to get some serious consideration.

20NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:28 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
Nope. I'll say it right now -- Florida and Philly have destroyed team chemistry in a big way. Buffalo as well, if to a lesser extent (you don't think the old-guard Sabres will feel a little resentment about some of those recent contracts given out to free agents?) I think Toronto is going to be disappointed with Reimer just like Washington was with Varlamov and Philly was with Bobrovsky -- having a good 37 game season when all pressure was off and nobody had the book on you is not the same as what he will face now. Boston got older, not necessarily better.

Look, I'm not saying we are magically better than any of those teams, but I think there are more opportunities to win a few more games here and there. And that's all it might take.

I'm optimistic about our upcoming season but I don't think Philly or Buffalo will have much problems. Bryzgalov will keep Philly in the playoff hunt as they rebuild their chemistry, much like Miller will do for the Sabres.

Toronto and Reimer ... yeah I don't think most people have them written as a playoff team.

We have a chance to make the playoffs but our conference got a whole lot tougher IMHO.

21NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Hoags wrote:
wprager wrote:

I'm optimistic about our upcoming season but I don't think Philly or Buffalo will have much problems. Bryzgalov will keep Philly in the playoff hunt as they rebuild their chemistry, much like Miller will do for the Sabres.

Toronto and Reimer ... yeah I don't think most people have them written as a playoff team.

We have a chance to make the playoffs but our conference got a whole lot tougher IMHO.

I'm pretty excited to see Bryz in Philly. There was ZERO pressure in Phoenix to do anything, so he goes from no pressure to INTENSE pressure. And we all saw how he did in the playoffs vs Detroit when the pressure was cranked up.

We'll see...but if he crashes and burns, what the hell do the Flyers do? Laugh1

22NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:55 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Bryzgalov will *absolutely* wilt under the constant scrutiny. Book it!

23NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
Was Bryz really that bad the year before in the playoffs for Phoenix ? Considering the franchise may have been playing it's last games at the time I couldnt fault the players too much for being distracted.

I think the system employed by Tippett vs. Laviolette will have a bigger impact.

Bryz is a huge step upwards from Boucher and Bobrovsky, kind of like Anderson was a huge step from Elliott.

If the Flyers struggle it will due to lack of chemistry/locker room drama if moving Carter and Richards causes dissension with the other players.

24NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:10 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
He sucked like a vacuum, he really did.

25NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:00 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Wow, this thread really went off on a completely different tangent, eh?

P.S. No-one said anything about the new avatar.

26NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:04 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wprager wrote:P.S. No-one said anything about the new avatar.
This is true.

27NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:18 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:
This is true.

Wow, that's cold, man. You must be just jealous.

28NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:03 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
This is true.

Nope. Just thought it was funny that you had to post about no-one talking about your avatar.

29NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:40 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran
SpezDispenser wrote:He sucked like a vacuum, he really did.

I saw it with my own eyes - he really did....

30NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:45 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
This is true.

Nope. Just thought it was funny that you had to post about no-one talking about your avatar.

You know, we could go back-and-forth until you get your fifth.

31NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:59 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
This is true.

You know, we could go back-and-forth until you get your fifth.
Indeed we could...

32NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:34 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
shabbs wrote:Sad to see that no-touch icing was not on the list. That needs to get some serious consideration.

True but they are at least looking at a hybrid no touch icing rule no details on what that would look like but I'm sure I read that in the article somewhere.

"...holdover experiments, such as hybrid icing, shallow nets and gradually reducing overtime manpower from 4-on-4 to 2-on-2 will be getting a second look."

33NHL looking at some rule changes - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:43 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
The "reducing overtime manpower" is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard (or seen -- one of my kids' tournament games 2 years ago went scoreless through regulation, the 4-4 OT and 3-3 OT until it went to shootouts; my kid's bladder almost burst and he ended up missing a chance in the shootout because he had to make an emergency pit stop).

Anyhow, I realize they want to end the game sooner, so just go to shootouts quicker. Hold a 5 minute OT (could even be 5-5) and then the shootout. Make all games worth the same number of points, so either 3 points for a regulation/OT win versus 2 for shootout or, even better, go back to giving out "tie" points if it is still tied after OT, and only use the shootout wins as one of the tie-breakers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum