You are not connected. Please login or register

 » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » New Captains

New Captains

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1New Captains Empty New Captains on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:17 am

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran
Eight NHL teams are currently without captains, and quite a few lack an obvious choice. So who takes over the "C" for these teams?

Buffalo Sabres- Former captain Craig Rivet was traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets, who didn't resign him. The most likely options are Paul Gaustad, Jochen Hecht, Ryan Miller, Tyler Myers, Jason Pomminville, Derek Roy, Drew Stafford, Robyn Regehr and Tomas Vanek. I think they either give it to Pomminville, or have a rotating captaincy once again, since Ryan Miller is their real leader.

Colorado Avalanche- Former captain Adam Foote was lost to retirement. Options include Matt Duchene, Milan Hejduk, and Paul Stastny. I think they'll give it to Hejduk until his retirement, both for his long service, leadership, and to prepare one of Stastny and Duchene to take over as the team's captain long term.

Florida Panthers- Captain Bryan McCabe was traded to the New York Rangers, and is currently a free agent. Not many options after such a huge turnaround. May be given to one of David Booth, Brian Campbell, Ed Jovanovski, or Stephen Weiss. I'll say Jovanovski, for no reason other than no real long term candidates exist.

New Jersey Devils- Previous captain Jamie Langenbrunner was lost to free agency, signing with the St. Louis Blues. Martin Brodeur, Patrick Elias, Ilya Kovalchuk, Zack Parise, and Anton Volchenkov are all possible options to be the next captain. If not for holding out and only signing a one year contract, Parise would be the obvious choice. In his absence, I would guess it would be given to Kovalchuk, in attempt to justify his life long contract.

New York Islanders- After Doug Weight's retirement, the Islanders are without a captain. The captaincy is almost guaranteed to be given to one of either John Tavares or Mark Streit. Being that the Islanders are a young team looking to attract fans, Tavares is almost assured to be given it, assuming they name one at all.

New York Rangers- The Rangers, classy organization that they are, bought out last season's captain Chris Drury. In his place, likely candidates include Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Marian Gaborik, and Brad Richards. I can't really pick an obvious choice, so I'll go with Gaborik, as he's their offensive star, and the highest paid player.

Philadelphia Flyers- Previous captain Mike Richards was traded to the L.A. Kings. The next captain is going to be Chris Pronger. Daniel Briere, Claude Giroux, Scott Hartnell, Max Talbot, and Kimo Timmonen could all make great captains, but it'll be Pronger, no doubt.

St Louis Blues- The last captian, Eric Brewer, was traded to the Tampa Bay Lightning. The next captain will likely be one of Jason Arnott, David Backes, Barret Jackman, Jamie Langenbrunner, and T.J. Oshie. It will probably be one of Backes or Oshie. I'll say Backes due to the length of his contract. Plus Oshie seems to have attitude problems.

In summary, my predictions are;

Buffalo Sabres- Rotating Captaincy
Colorado Avalanche- Milan Hejduk
Florida Panthers- Ed Jovanovski
New Jersey Devils- Ilya Kovalchuk
New York Islanders- John Tavares
New York Rangers- Marian Gaborik
Philadelphia Flyers- Chris Pronger
St Louis Blues- David Backes

2New Captains Empty Re: New Captains on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:34 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Sabres - Derek Roy
Avalanche - Erik Johnson
Panthers - Stephen Weiss
Devils - Zach Parise
Islanders - JohnTavares
Rangers - Ryan Callahan (easiest one, no chance Gaborik gets it)
Flyers - Chris Pronger
Blues - David Backes or Alex Steen

3New Captains Empty Re: New Captains on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:47 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Tuk Tuk wrote:Eight NHL teams are currently without captains, and quite a few lack an obvious choice. So who takes over the "C" for these teams?

Buffalo Sabres- Former captain Craig Rivet was traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets, who didn't resign him. The most likely options are Paul Gaustad, Jochen Hecht, Ryan Miller, Tyler Myers, Jason Pomminville, Derek Roy, Drew Stafford, Robyn Regehr and Tomas Vanek. I think they either give it to Pomminville, or have a rotating captaincy once again, since Ryan Miller is their real leader.

Colorado Avalanche- Former captain Adam Foote was lost to retirement. Options include Matt Duchene, Milan Hejduk, and Paul Stastny. I think they'll give it to Hejduk until his retirement, both for his long service, leadership, and to prepare one of Stastny and Duchene to take over as the team's captain long term.

Florida Panthers- Captain Bryan McCabe was traded to the New York Rangers, and is currently a free agent. Not many options after such a huge turnaround. May be given to one of David Booth, Brian Campbell, Ed Jovanovski, or Stephen Weiss. I'll say Jovanovski, for no reason other than no real long term candidates exist.

New Jersey Devils- Previous captain Jamie Langenbrunner was lost to free agency, signing with the St. Louis Blues. Martin Brodeur, Patrick Elias, Ilya Kovalchuk, Zack Parise, and Anton Volchenkov are all possible options to be the next captain. If not for holding out and only signing a one year contract, Parise would be the obvious choice. In his absence, I would guess it would be given to Kovalchuk, in attempt to justify his life long contract.

New York Islanders- After Doug Weight's retirement, the Islanders are without a captain. The captaincy is almost guaranteed to be given to one of either John Tavares or Mark Streit. Being that the Islanders are a young team looking to attract fans, Tavares is almost assured to be given it, assuming they name one at all.

New York Rangers- The Rangers, classy organization that they are, bought out last season's captain Chris Drury. In his place, likely candidates include Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Marian Gaborik, and Brad Richards. I can't really pick an obvious choice, so I'll go with Gaborik, as he's their offensive star, and the highest paid player.

Philadelphia Flyers- Previous captain Mike Richards was traded to the L.A. Kings. The next captain is going to be Chris Pronger. Daniel Briere, Claude Giroux, Scott Hartnell, Max Talbot, and Kimo Timmonen could all make great captains, but it'll be Pronger, no doubt.

St Louis Blues- The last captian, Eric Brewer, was traded to the Tampa Bay Lightning. The next captain will likely be one of Jason Arnott, David Backes, Barret Jackman, Jamie Langenbrunner, and T.J. Oshie. It will probably be one of Backes or Oshie. I'll say Backes due to the length of his contract. Plus Oshie seems to have attitude problems.

In summary, my predictions are;

Buffalo Sabres- Rotating Captaincy
Colorado Avalanche- Milan Hejduk
Florida Panthers- Ed Jovanovski
New Jersey Devils- Ilya Kovalchuk
New York Islanders- John Tavares
New York Rangers- Marian Gaborik
Philadelphia Flyers- Chris Pronger
St Louis Blues- David Backes


I nominate Dave Mustaine for all Captain vacancies.

All hail Dave Mustaine.

RocknRoll

4New Captains Empty Re: New Captains on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:48 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
What team does Dave Mustaine play for?

5New Captains Empty Re: New Captains on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:02 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Big Ev wrote:Sabres - Derek Roy
Avalanche - Erik Johnson
Panthers - Stephen Weiss
Devils - Zach Parise
Islanders - JohnTavares
Rangers - Ryan Callahan (easiest one, no chance Gaborik gets it)
Flyers - Chris Pronger
Blues - David Backes or Alex Steen


No chance Parise is named captain with only a one-year deal. Also, I agree with you, there is a 0% chance that Gaborik gets the C for the Rangers. Richards...Callahan...Dubinsky...all more likely choices.

6New Captains Empty Re: New Captains on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:06 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Sabres - Derek Roy
Avalanche - Erik Johnson
Panthers - Stephen Weiss
Devils - Zach Parise
Islanders - JohnTavares
Rangers - Ryan Callahan (easiest one, no chance Gaborik gets it)
Flyers - Chris Pronger
Blues - David Backes or Alex Steen


No chance Parise is named captain with only a one-year deal. Also, I agree with you, there is a 0% chance that Gaborik gets the C for the Rangers. Richards...Callahan...Dubinsky...all more likely choices.

That's why I think he will get the captaincy. They can give him the C to try and convince him to sign long-term.

7New Captains Empty Re: New Captains on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:21 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Just like Nashville did with Weber?

Brad Richards is the best option for NY.

8New Captains Empty Re: New Captains on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:35 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Big Ev wrote:What team does Dave Mustaine play for?

All teams play for Dave Mustaine.

RocknRoll

9New Captains Empty Re: New Captains on Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:06 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Big Ev wrote:What team does Dave Mustaine play for?

All teams play for Dave Mustaine.

RocknRoll

I always wanted a 69 Ford Mustaine...oh wait...never mind. Vertigo

10New Captains Empty Re: New Captains on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:42 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Big Ev wrote:What team does Dave Mustaine play for?

All teams play for Dave Mustaine.

RocknRoll

I always wanted a 69 Ford Mustaine...oh wait...never mind. Vertigo

You too? What color? Convertible?


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

11New Captains Empty Re: New Captains on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:56 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Big Ev wrote:What team does Dave Mustaine play for?

All teams play for Dave Mustaine.

RocknRoll

I always wanted a 69 Ford Mustaine...oh wait...never mind. Vertigo

You too? What color? Convertible?
I'll take a 69 cuda or a 71 charger over a mustang anyday... but they're pretty sexy cars i'll admit.

12New Captains Empty Re: New Captains on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:42 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I forget the year, but it was a late-70s Grand Prix with louvered rear-windows. Mmmmnice! The closest I can find quickly is this '77 LeMans Can-Am.

New Captains 32214050039_large


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

13New Captains Empty Re: New Captains on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:20 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Interesting thread. I'll think about it, but Big Ev's would be similar to my thoughts.

14New Captains Empty Re: New Captains on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:40 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
Buffalo Sabres- Vanek
Colorado Avalanche- Stasny or Duchene (I think they'll demonstrate that they embrace the youth movement with their new captain)
Florida Panthers- Ed Jovanovski
New Jersey Devils- Elias is possible with Parise wearing an "A" (I'd be really surprised to see Ilya in that role)
New York Islanders- I think it'll be Tavares, but I'm gonna take Streit as my pick.
New York Rangers- Richards
Philadelphia Flyers- Chris Pronger, if not Pronger, it'll be Briere
St Louis Blues- David Backes (Jackman is a reasonable second choice)

15New Captains Empty Re: New Captains on Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:01 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran
I guess I don't pay enough attention to the Rangers outside of Lundy, so excuse my ignorance, but why is Callahan such an obvious choice?

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum