Ottawa Restaurant Reviews - or - Where are you eating now?

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16281
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: Ottawa Restaurant Reviews - or - Where are you eating now?

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:44 am

dennycrane wrote:Another good burger place is Vera's, found inside the Butchery in Bells Corners. You can get a burger, fries or a hot dog. Pretty solid, again 8-12 bucks.

Yep...I'll second that. It's on par with Five Guys I'd say. Delicious. Also, you can actually buy the uncooked burger patties (the same that they use at Vera's) in the Butchery and BBQ 'em yourself. I've done that several times now, and they are outstanding.

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13608
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:59 am

Steak: It's gonna cost you a small fortune but it's totally worth it - Prime 360 (Downtown)

Burgers: The Works is still my favourite but I really want to try that Five Guys place.

Sushi: Very pricey much like the steak place I recommended but again these places are worth it. Taste of Japan (West), Festival Japan (Downtown)

Ribs: Baton Rouge - Also a bit pricey.

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:22 am

wprager wrote:
    Michallica wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Dash wrote:Come to think of it, I think I ate at Little India Cafe once.

I've only gone for lunch, and that's when they server the buffet. I should go for supper and see what the a la carte menu is like. The indian place across from Newbridge/Alcatel (Bombay Masala) was night and day with their lunch vs. supper menu (price-wise, too). Now, if I can just arrange some cheap babysitting.

i've never been a fan of bombay masala actually. its good at times but i find very inconsistent. but i agree their a la carte is way better than the buffet.

The way I understand it it's two brothers and they've alternated being cooks. Maybe one of them is better than the other.

Best part of Little India: it's one cook. He's the owner and if he goes on vacation, they place closes down. He's pretty serious about his quality.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:23 am

Btw, for sushi, I highly recommend sushi 168. Great presentation, excellent service, and quite the variety for buffet (it includes your pop drinks and several different types of desserts). Pricewise its about the same as other sushi places.
    stempniaksen
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1960
    Registration date : 2009-09-14

Post by stempniaksen on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:39 am

I can vouch for Prime 360 too, it's basically as good as they come.

Also, I find that in most cases the keg is overrated, but the best steak I've ever had was a baseball top sirloin at The Keg on Richmond road.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:46 am

stempniaksen wrote:Also, I find that in most cases the keg is overrated
    Indeed. I'd take a Canyon Creek steak over a Keg steak these days. Neither are high end (ie: Hy's, Ruth's Chris, Barberien's, Morton's) but the Keg has fallen over the years.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:02 am

shabbs wrote:
    Indeed. I'd take a Canyon Creek steak over a Keg steak these days. Neither are high end (ie: Hy's, Ruth's Chris, Barberien's, Morton's) but the Keg has fallen over the years.

Agreed. I find The Keg and Milestone's to be two of the more over-priced restaurants around.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24763
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:26 am

stempniaksen wrote:I can vouch for Prime 360 too, it's basically as good as they come.

Also, I find that in most cases the keg is overrated, but the best steak I've ever had was a baseball top sirloin at The Keg on Richmond road.

I was stuck with Noah's when I worked in that building...

I finally tried Shawarma Palace and I don't think it's that much better than Shawarma King down the street quite frankly.

For those of you who go for a drive just to get out, the best Chinese I've had is in Prescott, ON (Wok House) there is damn good pizza to be found at Papa Larry's as well in the same town. I will be trying Big Luke's Take Two in my hometown of Alexandria, ON soon. It's reputed to have the best ribs pretty much anywhere. Beautiful dining room and lovely terrace as well. I'll post my comments when I actually try it out.

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:00 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    stempniaksen wrote:I can vouch for Prime 360 too, it's basically as good as they come.

I finally tried Shawarma Palace and I don't think it's that much better than Shawarma King down the street quite frankly.

For those of you who go for a drive just to get out, the best Chinese I've had is in Prescott, ON (Wok House) there is damn good pizza to be found at Papa Larry's as well in the same town. I will be trying Big Luke's Take Two in my hometown of Alexandria, ON soon. It's reputed to have the best ribs pretty much anywhere. Beautiful dining room and lovely terrace as well. I'll post my comments when I actually try it out.

Lets try to stay on topic shall we? This is Ottawa Restaurant Review. Sarcasm
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:02 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    shabbs wrote:

Agreed. I find The Keg and Milestone's to be two of the more over-priced restaurants around.

I'd take Moxies over those two places. The price is around the same but I find Moxie's quality is much better.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

That didn't take long! Laugh1
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    shabbs wrote:

I'd take Moxies over those two places. The price is around the same but I find Moxie's quality is much better.

Yes, the food is better at Moxies, I agree. Or maybe I just mean to say that the waitresses are hotter and wear tighter clothes. I forget.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:23 pm

Plus the washrooms are to die for. Wink
    The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2270
    Registration date : 2008-10-14

Post by The Silfer Server on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:10 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Heresy!!!! Burn the witch!!!!
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:44 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

I thought we had reviewed every restaurant in Ottawa and were moving on to other cities...

Wink
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47790
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:52 pm

shabbs wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

I thought we had reviewed every restaurant in Ottawa and were moving on to other cities...

Wink

We haven't reviewed Marshys ... oh, wait, nevermind.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:17 pm

wprager wrote:
    shabbs wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

Wink

SSF will appear in 3... 2... 1...
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:29 pm

shabbs wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    SSF will appear in 3... 2... 1...

Vertigo

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:52 pm