Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12870
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

I need a new TV, HELP!

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Ok so i'm back home after what feels like an eternity. To celebrate my return, the new upcoming season (and the fact that I'm still watching tube TV) I'm going out there and buying my first HDTV. I've read a few articles online and I'm not sure what to opt for.
    it's the whole 60hz-120hz or ACL vs plasma debate.
    from what i heard it's not really worth paying more for a 120hz TV as what comes in is only 60hz. and from what I've read ACL has some problems with fast action delays with their pixels that plasma has not. also head about the plasma burnt image problem.

so helpful hockey fanatics what is the best deal for watching hockey? do any of these problems will affect my enjoying a game?

i'm seeing a nice samsung 46" acl 60 hz for 600$ and plasma is roughly a little cheaper.
    what should I get, I have no clue...
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47614
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

Post by wprager on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:10 pm

WTH is ACL? Oh, I see your location is Montreal -- ACL is LCD in French.

If you care about 3D get one that will do 3D. Apart from that, the Hz ratings will tell you nothing about how it really performs with fast action on the screen. The newer ones will be fine, but a few years back you would have been a fool to get LCD vs. Plasma. Sure, plasma can suffer from burnout (so can LCD, but far less) and uses more power and produces more heat, but it gives you superior colors (and truer blacks) and no issues with fast action.

Today, if you get something from a reputable dealer you'll either get what you want or be able to exchange if it doesn't deliver.

There are some plasmas left, still, and they are fine. Just set my parents up with one -- a 42" LG (42PT350). Be aware, though, that a lot of them (especially in that size range) are not 1080p devices -- they'll take a 1080p signal, no problem, but the native resolution is still 768.

LED is the same as LCD -- the panel, at least. The difference is that they use an LED as the backlight, instead of an incandescent. As a result, you can have a much slimmer set with very little heat generated. If you care about hanging it on a wall then that's what you get. If, not, then you can ave a couple hundred bucks on an LCD.

I'm still a bit weary about large LED sets. The backlight is mounted on the edge of the screen, so my concern is that the amount of backlight at the center of the screen is less than at the edges. I haven't noticed this effect but, then again, I've only see these sets in the stores. Maybe in a darkened basement you could actually notice something.

How big is your TV room? 46" is quite large. My folks ended up getting a 42" after thinking they needed a 46". They sit about 6-7feet away from the TV.

How bright is it? Make sure you don't have a glossy finish if there's a lot of light. I *think* plasma will give you an overall better performance in lower-light situations.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:18 pm

wprager wrote:WTH is ACL? Oh, I see your location is Montreal -- ACL is LCD in French.

If you care about 3D get one that will do 3D. Apart from that, the Hz ratings will tell you nothing about how it really performs with fast action on the screen. The newer ones will be fine, but a few years back you would have been a fool to get LCD vs. Plasma. Sure, plasma can suffer from burnout (so can LCD, but far less) and uses more power and produces more heat, but it gives you superior colors (and truer blacks) and no issues with fast action.

Today, if you get something from a reputable dealer you'll either get what you want or be able to exchange if it doesn't deliver.

There are some plasmas left, still, and they are fine. Just set my parents up with one -- a 42" LG (42PT350). Be aware, though, that a lot of them (especially in that size range) are not 1080p devices -- they'll take a 1080p signal, no problem, but the native resolution is still 768.

LED is the same as LCD -- the panel, at least. The difference is that they use an LED as the backlight, instead of an incandescent. As a result, you can have a much slimmer set with very little heat generated. If you care about hanging it on a wall then that's what you get. If, not, then you can ave a couple hundred bucks on an LCD.

I'm still a bit weary about large LED sets. The backlight is mounted on the edge of the screen, so my concern is that the amount of backlight at the center of the screen is less than at the edges. I haven't noticed this effect but, then again, I've only see these sets in the stores. Maybe in a darkened basement you could actually notice something.

How big is your TV room? 46" is quite large. My folks ended up getting a 42" after thinking they needed a 46". They sit about 6-7feet away from the TV.

How bright is it? Make sure you don't have a glossy finish if there's a lot of light. I *think* plasma will give you an overall better performance in lower-light situations.
    thanks!
    is there any issues with natural light reflection with plasma or LCD? i wanted the biggest TV possible so that the game is as big as I can watch it. i'll be 6-7 feet away. i was thinking wall mount kind of save space.

LED is too expensive for me for what i want to get. so you're saying Plasma or LCD???
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:22 pm

I'm probably getting a plasma, I think I can hold out til Boxing Day or Black Friday.

Plasmas have the best refresh rate so they're great for sports.

It's for my basement so the reflective glass panel won't be much of an issue down there. Most of the lower end plasmas have little to no anti-reflective coating so check them out in the store and keep in mind where you'll put it. Plasmas are generally best for low-light rooms.

They're also cheaper, although they use more power.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1862
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:29 pm

I bought a 40" Dynex, 1080p LCD tv from Futureshop this past weekend. It was $379. Not the best tv on the market but if your expected use is to watch sports and get destroyed then it's definitely not a bad option.

Futureshop and Bestbuy are both blowing out tv's before they ramp them up for Christmas time. Similar to laptops now's a good time to get one.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24746
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:38 pm

I like this site for research purposes:

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/?tag=

You'll notice some "off" brands sometimes come highly rated.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:54 pm

Hoags wrote:I'm probably getting a plasma, I think I can hold out til Boxing Day or Black Friday.

Plasmas have the best refresh rate so they're great for sports.

It's for my basement so the reflective glass panel won't be much of an issue down there. Most of the lower end plasmas have little to no anti-reflective coating so check them out in the store and keep in mind where you'll put it. Plasmas are generally best for low-light rooms.

They're also cheaper, although they use more power.
    yes i've heard that. but is it significant? how much $ more are we talking a year on the old hydro bill?
    I'm moving into a new place this week and it's low light but i'm also buying a tv for the next few years right? who knows where i'll be 2 years down the road. it's interesting to hear poeple still buying plasma. I'm not a big video game player(yet) so i'm not too scared of getting the burnt screen i've heard of because of those. i've heard they make them way better. still LCD is interesting option and not much more expensive.
    I was thinking of waiting till boxing day but I want to watch as many games as possible and they are finally in my price range.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:55 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:I like this site for research purposes:

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/?tag=

You'll notice some "off" brands sometimes come highly rated.
    thanks
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:18 pm

PLASMA FTW!!!!!
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8459
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:19 pm

shabbs wrote:PLASMA FTW!!!!!

Burn-in issues! LCD/LED or bust. And they're super cheap now too.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:29 pm

jeez can we get a consensus? plasma, LCD... the only thing that is sure is the Diddler is going to be bigger then anything i've previously owned.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:41 pm

start a poll and base your decision on that Nod
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:47 pm

I suggest these articles:

The Biggest Mistakes People Make When Buying An HDTV
    http://hdguru.com/the-biggest-mistakes-people-make-when-buying-an-hdtv/5197/

Plasma TV Burn-In: Fact or Myth?
    http://hdguru.com/plasma-tv-burn-in-fact-or-myth/826/

Flo The Action wrote:jeez can we get a consensus? plasma, LCD... the only thing that is sure is the Diddler is going to be bigger then anything i've previously owned.

HDTV Power costs:

http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-consumption-chart/

You will see motion artifacts (blur) from a 60Hz set, especially for fast motion such as sports. Maybe you won't notice them or they don't bother you. This is a personal preference, hard-core home theater nuts will tell you to get a true 120 Hz set or a plasma.

If you're getting an off-brand, look up reviews, the old adage "you get what you pay for" always holds true.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Hoags wrote:I suggest these articles:

The Biggest Mistakes People Make When Buying An HDTV
    http://hdguru.com/the-biggest-mistakes-people-make-when-buying-an-hdtv/5197/

Plasma TV Burn-In: Fact or Myth?
    http://hdguru.com/plasma-tv-burn-in-fact-or-myth/826/

Flo The Action wrote:jeez can we get a consensus? plasma, LCD... the only thing that is sure is the Diddler is going to be bigger then anything i've previously owned.

HDTV Power costs:

http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-consumption-chart/

You will see motion artifacts (blur) from a 60Hz set, especially for fast motion such as sports. Maybe you won't notice them or they don't bother you. This is a personal preference, hard-core home theater nuts will tell you to get a true 120 Hz set or a plasma.

If you're getting an off-brand, look up reviews, the old adage "you get what you pay for" always holds true.
    dude you're a star! thanks for that.

I heard that the signal we receive is 60 hz so 120hz is no use(as of now)
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:13 pm

all transmissions are in 60 Hz but a 120-Hz tv will improve that transmission for you to the point where you notice a much more smoother fluid motion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:33 am