I need a new TV, HELP!

    Share

    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by Hoags on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:47 pm

    I suggest these articles:

    The Biggest Mistakes People Make When Buying An HDTV
    http://hdguru.com/the-biggest-mistakes-people-make-when-buying-an-hdtv/5197/

    Plasma TV Burn-In: Fact or Myth?
    http://hdguru.com/plasma-tv-burn-in-fact-or-myth/826/

    Flo The Action wrote:jeez can we get a consensus? plasma, LCD... the only thing that is sure is the Diddler is going to be bigger then anything i've previously owned.

    HDTV Power costs:

    http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-consumption-chart/

    You will see motion artifacts (blur) from a 60Hz set, especially for fast motion such as sports. Maybe you won't notice them or they don't bother you. This is a personal preference, hard-core home theater nuts will tell you to get a true 120 Hz set or a plasma.

    If you're getting an off-brand, look up reviews, the old adage "you get what you pay for" always holds true.

    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12870
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by Flo The Action on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:09 pm

    Hoags wrote:I suggest these articles:

    The Biggest Mistakes People Make When Buying An HDTV
    http://hdguru.com/the-biggest-mistakes-people-make-when-buying-an-hdtv/5197/

    Plasma TV Burn-In: Fact or Myth?
    http://hdguru.com/plasma-tv-burn-in-fact-or-myth/826/

    Flo The Action wrote:jeez can we get a consensus? plasma, LCD... the only thing that is sure is the Diddler is going to be bigger then anything i've previously owned.

    HDTV Power costs:

    http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-consumption-chart/

    You will see motion artifacts (blur) from a 60Hz set, especially for fast motion such as sports. Maybe you won't notice them or they don't bother you. This is a personal preference, hard-core home theater nuts will tell you to get a true 120 Hz set or a plasma.

    If you're getting an off-brand, look up reviews, the old adage "you get what you pay for" always holds true.
    dude you're a star! thanks for that.

    I heard that the signal we receive is 60 hz so 120hz is no use(as of now)

    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 8459
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by Hoff-Machine on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:13 pm

    all transmissions are in 60 Hz but a 120-Hz tv will improve that transmission for you to the point where you notice a much more smoother fluid motion.
    avatar
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 9235
    Age : 40
    Location : Mississauga
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by Hoags on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:37 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:

    My mistake 120 Hz refresh is only useful if you watch movies a lot (on Blu-Rays). Films are shot at 24 fps and this doesn't divide evenly into 60 which causes motion artifacts. 120Hz is divisible by 24.

    So it's only useful if you're a hardcore movie buff and you have a blu-ray player that can output the native 1080p/24 material.

    Most 120Hz sets aren't even true 120Hz, they use motion interpolation which looks weird to most people.

    A good quality 60Hz set should be fine.

    It depends on your budget which TV you want to get.
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by shabbs on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:03 pm

    Michallica wrote:
    shabbs wrote:PLASMA FTW!!!!!

    Burn-in issues! LCD/LED or bust. And they're super cheap now too.
    Burn-in is no longer an issue... c'mon now...

    Best PQ = plasma, hands down. End of.

    avatar
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 9235
    Age : 40
    Location : Mississauga
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by Hoags on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:04 pm

    shabbs wrote:
    Best PQ = plasma, hands down. End of.

    This Franchise Player gets it ! Nod
    avatar
    22_4_ever
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 531
    Age : 47
    Location : Purgatory
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-19

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by 22_4_ever on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:20 pm

    Michallica wrote:all transmissions are in 60 Hz but a 120-Hz tv will improve that transmission for you to the point where you notice a much more smoother fluid motion.

    To complicate matters (and I'm not expert but i'm in the same boat as you), I've been trying to find a TV for our room and part of it's use is for the PS3. 120Hz is a benefit there no?

    Also just an FYI...NHL Game Center Live is 4.95 a month with the PS3 and streams all out of town games. That compares to the almost 50.00 it is from Bell.

    avatar
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 9235
    Age : 40
    Location : Mississauga
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by Hoags on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:23 pm

    I looked at signing up to NHL Gamecenter but all I see is NHL Vault instead.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12870
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by Flo The Action on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:23 pm

    Hoags wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

    My mistake 120 Hz refresh is only useful if you watch movies a lot (on Blu-Rays). Films are shot at 24 fps and this doesn't divide evenly into 60 which causes motion artifacts. 120Hz is divisible by 24.

    So it's only useful if you're a hardcore movie buff and you have a blu-ray player that can output the native 1080p/24 material.

    Most 120Hz sets aren't even true 120Hz, they use motion interpolation which looks weird to most people.

    A good quality 60Hz set should be fine.

    It depends on your budget which TV you want to get.
    if i get a a LCD there's a nice 46" samsung 60 hz on sale at wallmart for under 600$ and if i go with plasma there's a plasma 50 " LG for roughly the same price at futureshop.
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16221
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by tim1_2 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:24 pm

    I have a 60" LG plasma and I love it. If you're going to put your TV in a bright room (lots of natural light), higher end Panasonic plasmas have good anti-reflective filters. You also can't really go wrong with a good LCD/LED. I would get 120hz minimum just so you're a little more "future-proof".

    If I were you, I'd get a plasma...but LCD/LEDs are a close 2nd. You can't really go wrong. Just do a little internet research. Sites like Best Buy and Futureshop also have Customer Reviews that will help you.
    avatar
    22_4_ever
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 531
    Age : 47
    Location : Purgatory
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-19

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by 22_4_ever on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:18 pm

    Hoags wrote:I looked at signing up to NHL Gamecenter but all I see is NHL Vault instead.

    I had it last year and the streaming of the game from the console was as good as the Bell Dish (with the added benefit that when weather was bad I didn't lose my signal).

    You need to sign up for both Vault and Gamecenter. Vault is where the games and live video feeds come from. Gamecenter is 9.99 but if you are a gamer sign up for Playstation Plus it's just 5.00 more for 3 months and there are a lot of added benefits.

    Again if you are a gamer.

    Back to T.V.s/ I only need 32 to 37 inch TV for our room and while the sitting area is 4 feet from the TV the bed is about 15 feet and not straight on. It's anywhere from 10 to 30 degrees off center. Any thoughts?

    Plasma is out as I can't find any under 40 inches and I would prefer 120HZ 1080p for BlueRay.

    Thoughts?
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12870
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by Flo The Action on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:39 pm

    i njust noticed that with a plasma you pay more then double the amount in electricity every year. that's outrageous. it's like almost 60$ a year more. not way to much but it adds up and it's something to think about.
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by shabbs on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:42 pm

    Plasma runs at 600Hz... just saying. LCD still hasn't been able to touch that...

    For under 40", you'll be limited to LCD/LED. I would look at Panasonic, Sony Bravia and LG panels.


    avatar
    22_4_ever
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 531
    Age : 47
    Location : Purgatory
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-19

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by 22_4_ever on Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:19 pm

    shabbs wrote:Plasma runs at 600Hz... just saying. LCD still hasn't been able to touch that...

    For under 40", you'll be limited to LCD/LED. I would look at Panasonic, Sony Bravia and LG panels.



    The LG 32" is what I'm looking at.

    http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-32-1080p-lcd-hdtv-32lk450-32lk450/10166912.aspx?path=0f17f42c91bf161350b38d55025ea152en02
    avatar
    The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2270
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-10-14

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by The Silfer Server on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:45 pm

    You should pick up the Consumer Report on electronics. They are really good, impartial, and really cover all bases when it comes to reviews, from picture quality, to audio, or durability. They are really great.
    avatar
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12030
    Age : 29
    Location : Montreal, QC
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by LeCaptain on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:39 pm

    Go LED. It's amazing for Hd movies and video games. 240 hertz if you can find one. Sharp Aquos or Samsung.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47614
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by wprager on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:47 am

    Flo The Action wrote:jeez can we get a consensus? plasma, LCD... the only thing that is sure is the Diddler is going to be bigger then anything i've previously owned.

    If you want something big the only option (IMO) is front projection. You can go cheap on the screen at first (point it at a white wall or paint a screen on (you can get real fancy with borders and such, and there are special paints you can get for making good screens). There are special projection screens, also, that are great in high-light areas. They are specifically designed to reflect red/green/blue and absorb everything else, so they can be used in fully lit areas. Not cheap, though.

    Of course if you go that route, then there are several competing projector technologies, as well.

    If I were you, I'd go for plasma, because it *will* give you a better picture and you *will* get the biggest size for the buck. Don't worry about burn in unless you're planning on doing a lot of gaming (and most games are designed with this in mind anyway, aren't they?) LCD/LED have burn in issues as well (but less so).

    Power consumption-wise, it's not as bad as some people think, because and LCD/LED set *always* has the backlight on. Plasmas use much less power (at least less than LCD) during darker scenes.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47614
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by wprager on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:01 am

    Flo The Action wrote:
    Hoags wrote:I suggest these articles:

    The Biggest Mistakes People Make When Buying An HDTV
    http://hdguru.com/the-biggest-mistakes-people-make-when-buying-an-hdtv/5197/

    Plasma TV Burn-In: Fact or Myth?
    http://hdguru.com/plasma-tv-burn-in-fact-or-myth/826/

    Flo The Action wrote:jeez can we get a consensus? plasma, LCD... the only thing that is sure is the Diddler is going to be bigger then anything i've previously owned.

    HDTV Power costs:

    http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-consumption-chart/

    You will see motion artifacts (blur) from a 60Hz set, especially for fast motion such as sports. Maybe you won't notice them or they don't bother you. This is a personal preference, hard-core home theater nuts will tell you to get a true 120 Hz set or a plasma.

    If you're getting an off-brand, look up reviews, the old adage "you get what you pay for" always holds true.
    dude you're a star! thanks for that.

    I heard that the signal we receive is 60 hz so 120hz is no use(as of now)

    It's not the signal, it's what your set does with it. An LCD panel can typically switch a pixel off/on a heck of a lot faster than 60 times a second. Problem is, it's not completely "off" in that time frame, so you get motion blur. Faster refresh rates come into the discussion much more when you want to play 1080p-24 film material. Film is shot at ~ 24 frames per second and that does not go into 60, so when transferring film to DVD or other media for playback on TV they will use "telecine" to shoehorn 24 frames into 60 -- google "telecine" or "3:2 pulldown". This results in something called judder (and when someone points it out to you you will probably always notice it). So the newer TVs that do 120 Hz can be fed a 24 fps signal from a blu ray player -- if you watch a lot of film, make sure your set can do that. For 3D you would need to double that to 240. But I draw the line there -- I don't care about 3D.

    Bottom line, the refresh rate, whether it's expressed in Hz or in ms (e.g. on a computer monitor, a 5ms refresh rate means 1/.005 or 200 Hz) will not tell you whether your set will suffer from motion blur or not, because they are not measuring the true speed at which a pixel can switch between full-on and full-off. Frankly, the refresh rate would have to be instantaneous because a pixel is driven on for 1/60th of a second, then immediately to off. If it, then, takes it 1/120th of a second to truly reach "off" you've gone a half refresh cycle with the pixel not quite off -- so there will be motion blur, it's just a matter of whether or not your eye detects it.

    Plasmas are better at it than LCD panels, even the newest ones.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox

    Sponsored content

    Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:37 am