You are not connected. Please login or register

I need a new TV, HELP!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 15]

181 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:50 pm

Vandelay


Sophomore
Sophomore
wprager wrote:Downloading things is not entirely straightforward. If you like subtitles you usually don't find torrents that include them (much less embed them). So you have to do a separate search, rename the torrent files to match the video file name, or use some program to combine them properly. Plus some people just don't know how and don't feel like learning.

That's where xbmc comes in. From within xbmc, you can access icefilms for the latest shows and movies then play them with xbmc and like you would any dvd that comes with the subtitles you need, you click a button on your remote (which for me, is my iphone) and because my wife is Brazilian, it's configured to automatically search legendas.tv for the matching sub, also automatically renaming the file to match the video.

The best part is, xbmc is open source with a great team of developers. Any feature request that you can think of is likely either in the works or already added to xbmc.

182 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:51 pm

Vandelay


Sophomore
Sophomore
Dash wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Many people don't want to download their programming, and also they don't want to watch TV and movies on a 20" or lower screen

Or you just watch the downloaded 720P file (icefilms.info) through your medium of choice - Blu-Ray player, PS3, Xbox....

Not sure why downloading something means you have to watch it on a 20" screen???

183 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:31 pm

Riprock


All-Star
All-Star
I know eh? snobs....

184 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:38 pm

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Vandelay wrote:
wprager wrote:Downloading things is not entirely straightforward. If you like subtitles you usually don't find torrents that include them (much less embed them). So you have to do a separate search, rename the torrent files to match the video file name, or use some program to combine them properly. Plus some people just don't know how and don't feel like learning.

That's where xbmc comes in. From within xbmc, you can access icefilms for the latest shows and movies then play them with xbmc and like you would any dvd that comes with the subtitles you need, you click a button on your remote (which for me, is my iphone) and because my wife is Brazilian, it's configured to automatically search legendas.tv for the matching sub, also automatically renaming the file to match the video.

The best part is, xbmc is open source with a great team of developers. Any feature request that you can think of is likely either in the works or already added to xbmc.

Can you install xbmc *on* your PS3?


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

185 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:39 pm

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Dash wrote:I know eh? snobs....

Or they haven't heard of SneakerNet.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

186 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:00 pm

Vandelay

avatar
Sophomore
Sophomore
wprager wrote:

Can you install xbmc *on* your PS3?

Good question...

Took a quick look around...apparently, it can be done but the ps3 is not a supported platform. If you're interested, here's a link with more info:

http://www.homesystemintegration.com/2011/05/xbmc-on-ps3/

187 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:03 pm

Vandelay

avatar
Sophomore
Sophomore
wprager wrote:
Dash wrote:I know eh? snobs....

Or they haven't heard of SneakerNet.

Don't pretty much all new computers come with video out? Since my first computer purchase back in 2001, I've never had a computer without it.

188 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:32 pm

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Vandelay wrote:
wprager wrote:
Dash wrote:I know eh? snobs....

Or they haven't heard of SneakerNet.

Don't pretty much all new computers come with video out? Since my first computer purchase back in 2001, I've never had a computer without it.

Many people don't have their PC anywhere near their TV.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

189 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:36 pm

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Vandelay wrote:
wprager wrote:

Can you install xbmc *on* your PS3?

Good question...

Took a quick look around...apparently, it can be done but the ps3 is not a supported platform. If you're interested, here's a link with more info:

http://www.homesystemintegration.com/2011/05/xbmc-on-ps3/

My problem with streaming is that the PS3 is only on the wireless LAN, and that's only good enough (barely) for SD. My PC is nowhere near my PS3 and I have not yet entertained the idea of running ethernet cable from the master bedroom (that's where the cable modem and router are located) back down to the family room.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

190 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:49 pm

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
I need to get a secondary player and I figured might as well get a blu ray. Saw some deals here and there, wondering what's good. Quite a few players can be had for $100 at FS now:
Toshiba Blu-ray Player (BDX2250)
Samsung Blu-ray Player (BD-D5100/ZC)
Sony Blu-ray Player (BDPS380)
Sony Blu-ray Player (BDPS370)
LG Blu-ray Player (BD630C)
Panasonic Blu-ray Player (DMPBD45)
Panasonic Blu-ray DVD Player (DMPBD75)
Panasonic 3D Blu-ray Player (DMPBDT100)
Dynex Blu-ray Player (DX-WBRDVD1-CA) -- only $70
Insignia Blu-ray Player (NS-BRDVD4-CA) -- only $50

There's also the Real Canadian Superstore -- they have a no taxes sale now through Sunday.

The player will be close to the router so I don't care if it's not wireless.

Suggestions?


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

191 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:06 pm

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Even lower -- BestBuy has the LG BD555C for $39.97. Is that a typo? The unit has decent reviews.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

192 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:07 pm

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Anyhow, I've got to go and pick up the girls, and I need it for tonight. So I'll probably just get the cheapest one (at BestBuy) with the backup plan to return it if it sucks.

In the meantime, suggestions are still welcomed.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

193 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:42 pm

shabbs

avatar
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have the Panasonic Blu-ray Player DMPBD65. I suspect the 75 is probably the newer version. Been very pleased with mine as far as video and audio performance is concerned. A good, basic Blu-ray player with not a lot of bells and whistles.

194 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:48 pm

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:I have the Panasonic Blu-ray Player DMPBD65. I suspect the 75 is probably the newer version. Been very pleased with mine as far as video and audio performance is concerned. A good, basic Blu-ray player with not a lot of bells and whistles.

Well, I ended up going to BestBuy and they had the Toshiba BDX2150 on sale for $70 (down from $90); I went there just to see what the heck an LG BD555C was, since that was going for $40. They didn't have one (only brick-and-mortar store that had it was in Edmonton) so I went with the next cheapest. As I was heading back to the front I noticed an open-box one so I grabbed that. Ended up being $63 plus taxes.

Just opened it up and I must complain just a bit. I realize they are too cheap to add a $5 HDMI cable, so I expected that. But this unit has nothing *but* HDMI out, so not including a cable is ballsy to say the least. I might take it back. Tonight, though, I'll swap the HDMI cable I have on the cable box.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

195 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:57 pm

shabbs

avatar
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Get the Panny.

196 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:54 pm

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:Get the Panny.

I probably will. I can use the excuse that it doesn't have component out.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

197 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:18 pm

shabbs

avatar
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Get the Panny.

I probably will. I can use the excuse that it doesn't have component out.
The Panny doesn't have component out either.

198 Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:02 am

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Get the Panny.

I probably will. I can use the excuse that it doesn't have component out.
The Panny doesn't have component out either.

Interestingly enough, the $50 Insignia has HDMI and components out. All the LGs have component, Sony as well. Samsung, Toshiba and Panasonic do not. I guess they need to cut costs at all costs. I need the component out because it will take me a bit of time to order HDMI cables (no-way am I going to buy HDMI cables at a brick-and-mortar place when I can get them for 1/5th the price online).

I'm going to quickly check out what SuperStore has (since they have a no-taxes sale this weekend) and either get something there or maybe try the Insignia from FS. This unit will not be used all that frequently so I'm certainly not picky. I know it's odd to say given that I'm returning the Toshiba.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum