I need a new TV, HELP!

Vandelay
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 769
    Registration date : 2008-11-07

Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

Post by Vandelay on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:50 pm

wprager wrote:Downloading things is not entirely straightforward. If you like subtitles you usually don't find torrents that include them (much less embed them). So you have to do a separate search, rename the torrent files to match the video file name, or use some program to combine them properly. Plus some people just don't know how and don't feel like learning.

That's where xbmc comes in. From within xbmc, you can access icefilms for the latest shows and movies then play them with xbmc and like you would any dvd that comes with the subtitles you need, you click a button on your remote (which for me, is my iphone) and because my wife is Brazilian, it's configured to automatically search legendas.tv for the matching sub, also automatically renaming the file to match the video.

The best part is, xbmc is open source with a great team of developers. Any feature request that you can think of is likely either in the works or already added to xbmc.

Vandelay
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Vandelay on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:51 pm

Dash wrote:
    Big Ev wrote:Many people don't want to download their programming, and also they don't want to watch TV and movies on a 20" or lower screen

Or you just watch the downloaded 720P file (icefilms.info) through your medium of choice - Blu-Ray player, PS3, Xbox....

Not sure why downloading something means you have to watch it on a 20" screen???

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by Riprock on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:31 pm

I know eh? snobs....
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47785
    Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by wprager on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Vandelay wrote:
    wprager wrote:Downloading things is not entirely straightforward. If you like subtitles you usually don't find torrents that include them (much less embed them). So you have to do a separate search, rename the torrent files to match the video file name, or use some program to combine them properly. Plus some people just don't know how and don't feel like learning.

That's where xbmc comes in. From within xbmc, you can access icefilms for the latest shows and movies then play them with xbmc and like you would any dvd that comes with the subtitles you need, you click a button on your remote (which for me, is my iphone) and because my wife is Brazilian, it's configured to automatically search legendas.tv for the matching sub, also automatically renaming the file to match the video.

The best part is, xbmc is open source with a great team of developers. Any feature request that you can think of is likely either in the works or already added to xbmc.

Can you install xbmc *on* your PS3?

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Dash wrote:I know eh? snobs....

Or they haven't heard of SneakerNet.

Vandelay
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Vandelay on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:00 pm

wprager wrote:

Good question...

Took a quick look around...apparently, it can be done but the ps3 is not a supported platform. If you're interested, here's a link with more info:

http://www.homesystemintegration.com/2011/05/xbmc-on-ps3/
    Vandelay
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Vandelay on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:03 pm

wprager wrote:

Don't pretty much all new computers come with video out? Since my first computer purchase back in 2001, I've never had a computer without it.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:32 pm

Vandelay wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Don't pretty much all new computers come with video out? Since my first computer purchase back in 2001, I've never had a computer without it.

Many people don't have their PC anywhere near their TV.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:36 pm

Vandelay wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Good question...

Took a quick look around...apparently, it can be done but the ps3 is not a supported platform. If you're interested, here's a link with more info:

http://www.homesystemintegration.com/2011/05/xbmc-on-ps3/

My problem with streaming is that the PS3 is only on the wireless LAN, and that's only good enough (barely) for SD. My PC is nowhere near my PS3 and I have not yet entertained the idea of running ethernet cable from the master bedroom (that's where the cable modem and router are located) back down to the family room.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:49 pm

I need to get a secondary player and I figured might as well get a blu ray. Saw some deals here and there, wondering what's good. Quite a few players can be had for $100 at FS now:
    Toshiba Blu-ray Player (BDX2250)
    Samsung Blu-ray Player (BD-D5100/ZC)
    Sony Blu-ray Player (BDPS380)
    Sony Blu-ray Player (BDPS370)
    LG Blu-ray Player (BD630C)
    Panasonic Blu-ray Player (DMPBD45)
    Panasonic Blu-ray DVD Player (DMPBD75)
    Panasonic 3D Blu-ray Player (DMPBDT100)
    Dynex Blu-ray Player (DX-WBRDVD1-CA) -- only $70
    Insignia Blu-ray Player (NS-BRDVD4-CA) -- only $50

There's also the Real Canadian Superstore -- they have a no taxes sale now through Sunday.

The player will be close to the router so I don't care if it's not wireless.

Suggestions?

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:06 pm

Even lower -- BestBuy has the LG BD555C for $39.97. Is that a typo? The unit has decent reviews.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:07 pm

Anyhow, I've got to go and pick up the girls, and I need it for tonight. So I'll probably just get the cheapest one (at BestBuy) with the backup plan to return it if it sucks.

In the meantime, suggestions are still welcomed.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:42 pm

I have the Panasonic Blu-ray Player DMPBD65. I suspect the 75 is probably the newer version. Been very pleased with mine as far as video and audio performance is concerned. A good, basic Blu-ray player with not a lot of bells and whistles.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:48 pm

shabbs wrote:I have the Panasonic Blu-ray Player DMPBD65. I suspect the 75 is probably the newer version. Been very pleased with mine as far as video and audio performance is concerned. A good, basic Blu-ray player with not a lot of bells and whistles.

Well, I ended up going to BestBuy and they had the Toshiba BDX2150 on sale for $70 (down from $90); I went there just to see what the heck an LG BD555C was, since that was going for $40. They didn't have one (only brick-and-mortar store that had it was in Edmonton) so I went with the next cheapest. As I was heading back to the front I noticed an open-box one so I grabbed that. Ended up being $63 plus taxes.

Just opened it up and I must complain just a bit. I realize they are too cheap to add a $5 HDMI cable, so I expected that. But this unit has nothing *but* HDMI out, so not including a cable is ballsy to say the least. I might take it back. Tonight, though, I'll swap the HDMI cable I have on the cable box.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Get the Panny.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:54 pm

shabbs wrote:Get the Panny.

I probably will. I can use the excuse that it doesn't have component out.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:18 pm

wprager wrote:

The Panny doesn't have component out either.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:02 am

shabbs wrote:
    wprager wrote:

The Panny doesn't have component out either.

Interestingly enough, the $50 Insignia has HDMI and components out. All the LGs have component, Sony as well. Samsung, Toshiba and Panasonic do not. I guess they need to cut costs at all costs. I need the component out because it will take me a bit of time to order HDMI cables (no-way am I going to buy HDMI cables at a brick-and-mortar place when I can get them for 1/5th the price online).

I'm going to quickly check out what SuperStore has (since they have a no-taxes sale this weekend) and either get something there or maybe try the Insignia from FS. This unit will not be used all that frequently so I'm certainly not picky. I know it's odd to say given that I'm returning the Toshiba.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:16 pm