You are not connected. Please login or register

 » Alphabet soup + Anouncements! » Random Thoughts - NON Hockey talk » I need a new TV, HELP!

I need a new TV, HELP!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 15]

196I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:54 pm

wprager


Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:Get the Panny.

I probably will. I can use the excuse that it doesn't have component out.

197I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:18 pm

shabbs


Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Get the Panny.

I probably will. I can use the excuse that it doesn't have component out.
The Panny doesn't have component out either.

198I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:02 am

wprager


Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Get the Panny.

I probably will. I can use the excuse that it doesn't have component out.
The Panny doesn't have component out either.

Interestingly enough, the $50 Insignia has HDMI and components out. All the LGs have component, Sony as well. Samsung, Toshiba and Panasonic do not. I guess they need to cut costs at all costs. I need the component out because it will take me a bit of time to order HDMI cables (no-way am I going to buy HDMI cables at a brick-and-mortar place when I can get them for 1/5th the price online).

I'm going to quickly check out what SuperStore has (since they have a no-taxes sale this weekend) and either get something there or maybe try the Insignia from FS. This unit will not be used all that frequently so I'm certainly not picky. I know it's odd to say given that I'm returning the Toshiba.

199I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:14 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Get the Sony Blu-ray Player (BDPS380) then.

200I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:26 am

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore
wprager wrote:
Vandelay wrote:
wprager wrote:
Dash wrote:I know eh? snobs....

Or they haven't heard of SneakerNet.

Don't pretty much all new computers come with video out? Since my first computer purchase back in 2001, I've never had a computer without it.

Many people don't have their PC anywhere near their TV.

Fair enough. Really surprised they haven't come out with bluetooth tv yet...would certainly solve a lot of logistics headaches.

201I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:35 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:Get the Sony Blu-ray Player (BDPS380) then.

But SuperStore has the LG BD360 for $100, which is like $88.50 plus taxes.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

202I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:38 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Vandelay wrote:
wprager wrote:
Vandelay wrote:
wprager wrote:
Dash wrote:I know eh? snobs....

Or they haven't heard of SneakerNet.

Don't pretty much all new computers come with video out? Since my first computer purchase back in 2001, I've never had a computer without it.

Many people don't have their PC anywhere near their TV.

Fair enough. Really surprised they haven't come out with bluetooth tv yet...would certainly solve a lot of logistics headaches.

Bluetooth does not have the b/w. I have a bluetooth mouse and a bluetooth stereo headset. When I try listening to any continuous audio (like music or even some presentations) the mouse stops working periodically. Sometimes even happens on conference calls. Imagine full-HD video and hi-fi audio.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

203I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore
wprager wrote:
Vandelay wrote:
wprager wrote:
Vandelay wrote:
wprager wrote:
Dash wrote:I know eh? snobs....

Or they haven't heard of SneakerNet.

Don't pretty much all new computers come with video out? Since my first computer purchase back in 2001, I've never had a computer without it.

Many people don't have their PC anywhere near their TV.

Fair enough. Really surprised they haven't come out with bluetooth tv yet...would certainly solve a lot of logistics headaches.

Bluetooth does not have the b/w. I have a bluetooth mouse and a bluetooth stereo headset. When I try listening to any continuous audio (like music or even some presentations) the mouse stops working periodically. Sometimes even happens on conference calls. Imagine full-HD video and hi-fi audio.

ok...

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-wi-fi-usb-lan-adaptor-uwabr100-uwabr100/10141166.aspx?path=ac7ab5919db0c88ffbe701ae9376a580en02

204I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:43 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Get the Sony Blu-ray Player (BDPS380) then.

But SuperStore has the LG BD360 for $100, which is like $88.50 plus taxes.
You're choice. Personally, I'd go for the Sony over the LG.

205I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:44 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Vandelay wrote:
ok...

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-wi-fi-usb-lan-adaptor-uwabr100-uwabr100/10141166.aspx?path=ac7ab5919db0c88ffbe701ae9376a580en02

That's WiFi, not bluetooth. I picked up a USB wireless adapter (802.11g) for my desktop a few (quite a few)years back for around $30. Unfortunately for most of these (TVs, BD players) they insist on proprietary dongles, and they usually go for quite a bit more than what I paid, and they don't provide anything different, really.

The above one has a "unique 1.5 m extension cable". A wireless adapter with an extension cable Facepalm


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

206I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Get the Sony Blu-ray Player (BDPS380) then.

But SuperStore has the LG BD360 for $100, which is like $88.50 plus taxes.
You're choice. Personally, I'd go for the Sony over the LG.

Decisions, decisions. Prices are all over the place. BestBuy has the BDPS380 for $140. Futureshop's regular price is $120, and it's $20 off right now. Price match at BS will bring it down to $96. So is it worth an extra $8 over the LG?


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

207I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:28 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
$8 man... at that point, go for the one that you feel looks better, or has the cooler packaging...

Wink

208I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:32 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:$8 man... at that point, go for the one that you feel looks better, or has the cooler packaging...

Wink

Side by side comparisons:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/compare-result.aspx?ProductIds=%2C10167202%2C10164579&returnPath=%257e%252fcatalog%252fcategory.aspx%253fpath%253d7c0c1195bb707098b5551c330cb996a5en01%2526category%253d25323%2526lang%253den

Something doesn't sound right. The Sony is listed as not HDCP-compliant. That can't be correct? Also it says it won't up-convert over component -- now that I can believe from Sony Dammit! .

Now this will seal the deal for me -- the Sony has a USB port, the LG does not (hard to believe, though).


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

209I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
the LG is rated higher by 3 points on Consumer Reports

210I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:13 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Is your TV HDCP compliant?

211I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:24 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:Is your TV HDCP compliant?

I can't believe the Sony is not compliant. Must be a typo.

Interesting that the LG is rated higher on CR because it's certainly rated lower by FS customers.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

212I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:03 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
I think everything has to be HDCP compliant nowadays ....

I thought no upconversion over component has been pretty common for years.

213I need a new TV,  HELP! - Page 14 Empty Re: I need a new TV, HELP! on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:06 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Hoags wrote:I think everything has to be HDCP compliant nowadays ....

I thought no upconversion over component has been pretty common for years.

Well back when I had my LG with the Faroudja chipset, and the HDMI connector broke off, I was very happy that it could up-convertover components (had to download and install an updated firmware, which had a special menu item for it).


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum