I need a new TV, HELP!

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48176
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

Post by wprager on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:17 am

tim1_2 wrote:Oh for the love of TVs. It is not "protective glass". It is part of the screen. No one should ever ever ever try to remove the glass on their plasma. Some higher-end plasmas have an anti-reflective coating or screen that is applied to the glass. It has nothing to do with protection.

From wikipedia: "Plasma display screens are made from glass, which reflects more light than the material used to make an LCD screen. This causes glare from reflected objects in the viewing area. Companies such as Panasonic coat their newer plasma screens with an anti-glare filter material."

If you read my post carefully you will see the part where I say I have a CRT RPTV.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16437
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:11 am

It wasn't totally clear to me if you were saying the glass could be removed just for CRT-RPTVs, or all TVs in general. You also call it "protective glass" for plasmas, when it really isn't.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:19 am

tim1_2 wrote:It wasn't totally clear to me if you were saying the glass could be removed just for CRT-RPTVs, or all TVs in general. You also call it "protective glass" for plasmas, when it really isn't.

Well, technically it is:

Unlike the old CRTs, which have no native resolution, the plasma screen is made up of tiny cells filled with gas (which turns to plasma when "on"). The panel with these cells is sandwiched between two dielectric plates (to apply voltage across the cells), and then there is the plate of glass on the front of all of this, to protect the other layers.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:20 am

If budget isn't the primary concern and you're looking at 42" or higher I say Plasma. The higher end LED TV which are as close LCD gets to Plasma but they cost more $$$.

My only issue is that the lower-end Plasmas (besides the fact a lot of them are 720p) is that they don't have an anti-glare coating, which will make watching in my basement not fun. I'll have to set up a torchere in the corner or something.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:33 am

wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:It wasn't totally clear to me if you were saying the glass could be removed just for CRT-RPTVs, or all TVs in general. You also call it "protective glass" for plasmas, when it really isn't.

Well, technically it is:

Unlike the old CRTs, which have no native resolution, the plasma screen is made up of tiny cells filled with gas (which turns to plasma when "on"). The panel with these cells is sandwiched between two dielectric plates (to apply voltage across the cells), and then there is the plate of glass on the front of all of this, to protect the other layers.

I suppose, technically, the glass is there to "protect" the other layers, but it sure as poop isn't removeable (which I now realize you weren't suggesting for plasma). It is my understanding that the glass is integral to ensure the screen functions properlyso yes, I suppose it is there to "protect" the screen, but it is also necessary to ensure the screen performs properly.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13245
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:46 pm

again, thanks guys.

I'm still undecided. I think i'd go with a plasma but the fact that i'd pay half of the cost on my enrgy bill might switch me back to LCD. tough choices but at least I feel like I know what i'm getting into on all sides.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Flo The Action wrote:again, thanks guys.

I'm still undecided. I think i'd go with a plasma but the fact that i'd pay half of the cost on my enrgy bill might switch me back to LCD. tough choices but at least I feel like I know what i'm getting into on all sides.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/tvs-services/tvs/tv-buying-advice/types-of-tvs/tv-display-technologies/what-it-costs-to-run-a-big-screen-tv/what-it-costs-to-run-a-big-screen-tv.htm

PRODUCT ANNUAL COST
    40- to 42- inch LCD $41
    42-inch plasma $44
    46- to 47- inch LCD $55
    50-inch plasma $54

And this is posted in 2008
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Hoags wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:again, thanks guys.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/tvs-services/tvs/tv-buying-advice/types-of-tvs/tv-display-technologies/what-it-costs-to-run-a-big-screen-tv/what-it-costs-to-run-a-big-screen-tv.htm

PRODUCT ANNUAL COST
    40- to 42- inch LCD $41
    42-inch plasma $44
    46- to 47- inch LCD $55
    50-inch plasma $54

And this is posted in 2008

That's more like it. I knew some of that was FUD but didn't have links.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13245
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:03 pm

well then that counteracts what i've read elsewhere. is there a list for this years models?
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:48 pm

Stop worrying about the energy cost. It's a red herring that retailers use to push LCD over Plasma since profit margins are higher on LCD.

Get the one that suits your needs best and that looks best to you. Bright room - chances are LCD/LED would be best, dark room/controlled lighting - plasma. And make sure it has all the inputs you need.

If you are looking for a max of 32", then you'll be limited to LCD/LED anyways.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:14 pm

Heh. Check this quick 'n dirty summary from CNet...

http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-guide/plasma-lcd-led-tvs/

LCD
    Size: 19 inches to 65 inches
    Manufacturers: All
    Pros: Consumes a lot less power than plasma; models with matte screens work well in bright rooms.
    Cons: Dark-room performance generally worse than plasma; worse viewing angle and uniformity.
    Best for: General use in brighter rooms where potential flaws won't be as visible as they are in dark rooms.

LED
    Size: 32 inches and larger
    Manufacturers: All
    Pros: Uses slightly less power than LCD; thin panels; some models have improved picture quality.
    Cons: Expensive; most models offer little to no picture quality benefit compared with LCD.
    Best for: Big spenders who want thin panels or videophiles who understand the differences between LED technologies and don't want plasma.

Plasma
    Size: 42 inches and larger
    Manufacturers: Panasonic, Samsung, LG
    Pros: Black-level performance in dark rooms; uniformity and viewing angle.
    Cons: High power consumption; glass screen can reflect light in bright rooms.
    Best for: General use in all but the brightest rooms; videophiles who place a premium on dark-room picture quality.

Rear-projection TV
    Size: 60 inches and larger
    Manufacturers: Mitsubishi
    Pros: Huge
    Cons: Huge
    Best for: Those who want the biggest screen for the buck, period.

Love the pros/cons for Rear-projection. They're the same! It's true though. I have a RPLCD TV and it's 60", and it's huge, but we have a huge bright room. We have a 42" Panny 1080p plasma in our bedroom and the picture is simply stunning. Each TV suits the environment it's in. That's the key.

Know the pros/cons for each and then make your choice.

Plasma is a dying breed, sadly, but it is what it is.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:19 pm

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:03 pm

shabbs wrote:
    Plasma is a dying breed, sadly, but it is what it is.

I don't know if that's true. I have started seeing new Panasonic plasma TV commercials, which makes me think that they are starting to push them more.
    The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2270
    Registration date : 2008-10-14

Post by The Silfer Server on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:49 pm

You should go to Costco and costco.ca... They have great prices, and online, usually shipping and handling is included.

God I love Costco.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:51 pm

The Silfer Server wrote:You should go to Costco and costco.ca... They have great prices, and online, usually shipping and handling is included.

God I love Costco.

Best part about Costco is the extra year of warranty they give you as well as the generous return policy.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Hoags wrote:
    The Silfer Server wrote:You should go to Costco and costco.ca... They have great prices, and online, usually shipping and handling is included.

God I love Costco.

Best part about Costco is the extra year of warranty they give you as well as the generous return policy.

Yes on the excellent return policy -- or so I'd heard. Is it the same in Canada, though?

One of the best places for sales is Dell.ca. Right now they are in on day of their 12-day "Dell Days of Savings" -- today's deal only has a 32" set, though. The "Days of Deals" happen pretty frequently, and they have other sales as well -- like the various daily and weekly deals in different categories. Current weekly HDTVdeal is a 42" LG plasma for $450 ($150 off):http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A5223237

The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2270
    Registration date : 2008-10-14

Post by The Silfer Server on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:26 pm

wprager wrote:
    Hoags wrote:

God I love Costco.

Yes on the excellent return policy -- or so I'd heard. Is it the same in Canada, though?

One of the best places for sales is Dell.ca. Right now they are in on day of their 12-day "Dell Days of Savings" -- today's deal only has a 32" set, though. The "Days of Deals" happen pretty frequently, and they have other sales as well -- like the various daily and weekly deals in different categories. Current weekly HDTVdeal is a 42" LG plasma for $450 ($150 off): http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A5223237

I haven't had personal first hand experience, but I've had friends who have returned things from a few months later, and a friend of a friend who apparently returned something a couple of years later.

My best friend bought a mattress from them... Then a month later, they had a deal on his mattress for less, so he called them, and they refunded the difference.

Really love Costco. They actually treat their employees really well too.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Who said there's no big difference between 60hz and 120 hz?

Go to Best buy, try to find a war movie on bluray, or a battle scene or fast action scene (Transformers or whateever) and tell me you don't see a difference.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:18 pm