wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47801
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: I need a new TV, HELP!

Post by wprager on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Hoags wrote:
    The Silfer Server wrote:You should go to Costco and costco.ca... They have great prices, and online, usually shipping and handling is included.

God I love Costco.

Best part about Costco is the extra year of warranty they give you as well as the generous return policy.

Yes on the excellent return policy -- or so I'd heard. Is it the same in Canada, though?

One of the best places for sales is Dell.ca. Right now they are in on day of their 12-day "Dell Days of Savings" -- today's deal only has a 32" set, though. The "Days of Deals" happen pretty frequently, and they have other sales as well -- like the various daily and weekly deals in different categories. Current weekly HDTVdeal is a 42" LG plasma for $450 ($150 off):http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A5223237

The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2270
    Registration date : 2008-10-14

Post by The Silfer Server on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:26 pm

wprager wrote:
    Hoags wrote:
    The Silfer Server wrote:You should go to Costco and costco.ca... They have great prices, and online, usually shipping and handling is included.

God I love Costco.

Best part about Costco is the extra year of warranty they give you as well as the generous return policy.

Yes on the excellent return policy -- or so I'd heard. Is it the same in Canada, though?

One of the best places for sales is Dell.ca. Right now they are in on day of their 12-day "Dell Days of Savings" -- today's deal only has a 32" set, though. The "Days of Deals" happen pretty frequently, and they have other sales as well -- like the various daily and weekly deals in different categories. Current weekly HDTVdeal is a 42" LG plasma for $450 ($150 off): http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A5223237

I haven't had personal first hand experience, but I've had friends who have returned things from a few months later, and a friend of a friend who apparently returned something a couple of years later.

My best friend bought a mattress from them... Then a month later, they had a deal on his mattress for less, so he called them, and they refunded the difference.

Really love Costco. They actually treat their employees really well too.

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Who said there's no big difference between 60hz and 120 hz?

Go to Best buy, try to find a war movie on bluray, or a battle scene or fast action scene (Transformers or whateever) and tell me you don't see a difference.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by wprager on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:40 pm

La Femme wrote:Who said there's no big difference between 60hz and 120 hz?

Go to Best buy, try to find a war movie on bluray, or a battle scene or fast action scene (Transformers or whateever) and tell me you don't see a difference.

What was said was that LCD/LEDs offering 120Hz or even 240Hz could still have motion blur, which you simply won't see with plasma.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:13 am

120Hz/240Hz will eliminate telecline judder (ie: 2:3 pulldown) in movie source material. With a properly configured 120Hz TV and a Blu-ray source for example, you'll get a 5:5 pull down with no judder. This will result in a smooth video picture.

Motion blur, however, will still be a factor, as it's a shortcoming of the LCD/LED technology in general.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:17 am

LCD/LED also have the "Screen door effect", although newer ones certainly are better. The screen door effect is a lot like other artifacts (judder, motion blur, Moir pattern, etc.) in that you probably don't even notice it until someone mentions it and points it out -- after that you can't help but notice it.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:49 am

The "screen door" effect happens if you sit too close to your TV, and I think it was more prevalent on pre-1080p sets. If I sit 2 feet in front of my RPLCD, I see it.

Another reason to make sure you choose the right size TV for your room and sitting space.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:45 am

shabbs wrote:The "screen door" effect happens if you sit too close to your TV, and I think it was more prevalent on pre-1080p sets. If I sit 2 feet in front of my RPLCD, I see it.

Another reason to make sure you choose the right size TV for your room and sitting space.

True. But it's probably still there with front projectors and a 7' screen.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:08 pm

Today's deal:
    42" LG LED,3D with glasses -- $840 ($660 off)
    http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A5135157

Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:10 pm

3D TVs can die in a fire.

Who wants to watch TV wearing stupid glasses ? Especially when there's barely any 3D content out there.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Post by Riprock on Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:12 pm

But it's not just a 3d tv, it's just 3d ready. You don't have to use it. You're still getting an LED tv. If you absolutely do not want 3d, then don't get it then.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16284
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:35 pm

3D TVs tend to have fantastic regular picture quality.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:42 pm

tim1_2 wrote:3D TVs tend to have fantastic regular picture quality.

Why pay for 3D, when you can get a bigger 2D-only set for the same price ?

Within a few years they'll probably have glasses-free 3D, but so far from what I am reading it's not taking off at all. It's just a ploy to drive up TV prices.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:07 pm

Hoags wrote:3D TVs can die in a fire.

Who wants to watch TV wearing stupid glasses ? Especially when there's barely any 3D content out there.

Hardly anything on TV, and when there is they will use different tech. But there's plenty of 3D on blu ray.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:18 pm

Hoags wrote:

Within a few years they'll probably have glasses-free 3D, but so far from what I am reading it's not taking off at all. It's just a ploy to drive up TV prices.

Nothing to do with driving prices up; everything to do with driving sales. You buy a TV now and it's still chugging along 15 years later. That was with CRT. Newer stuff can last even longer (the LEDs use much less energy and heat up less, so last longer).

You can do glasses-less 3D now, but there are limited viewing positions (e.g. the 3DS has, essentially, 1 viewing position). For each viewing position you have increase the vertical resolution -- for example, a 1080x1024 set would need to be 1080x2048 to support glasses-less 3D. For three viewing spots, that would be 1080x3072. That, or you reduce the vertical resolution (which is what they'll do initially).

Anyhow, that was pretty much off topic. I just posted a good sale - price-range-wise not far from what you'd pay for a decent LCD at the same size, but you'd get better PQ and those geeky glasses.

Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:24 pm

wprager wrote:
    Hoags wrote:

Nothing to do with driving prices up; everything to do with driving sales. You buy a TV now and it's still chugging along 15 years later. That was with CRT. Newer stuff can last even longer (the LEDs use much less energy and heat up less, so last longer).

True it's about driving sales which typically means trying to milk early adopters. Observe how now they're coming out with a universal standard for glasses (vs. manufacturer specific).

By the way didn't mean to crap on your link to Dell's site, I actually found it helpful in seeing what's out there and at what price since I am TV shopping as well.

3D TV is just a pet peeve of mine Dammit!
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Post by Riprock on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:31 pm

In this case I don't think you're buying the TV for the 3D, but the 3D for the TV.

If you can get a really good LED/LCD TV and it just so happens to be 3D ready, why not?
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:39 pm

Dash wrote:In this case I don't think you're buying the TV for the 3D, but the 3D for the TV.

If you can get a really good LED/LCD TV and it just so happens to be 3D ready, why not?

I have no problem doing that but 3D and LED cost extra. Edge-lit LEDs are the same or worse than normal LCD panels from what I hear, you need the good backlit LED TVs but those are $1000+. They market LED as better than LCD which isn't true and it's technically almost the same technology.

The best advice I am seeing is get the biggest TV you can afford (and fit in the room of course, respecting viewing distance etc).

You can get a 50" 1080p plasma for $745:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-50-1080p-plasma-hdtv-50pv450-50pv450/10166925.aspx?path=2c7ae1052a5d9567aee87f4b74e232c5en02

This will sounds weird but I have an older 32" LCD that's about 42" wide, if I get a 42" TV it won't seem like much of an upgrade. I've stood and stared at 42" TVs at Best Buy and I don't get that "big screen feeling"

Now 50 inches and up ??? Now we're talking (with about 9 feet viewing distance).

Of course I am shopping for a home theatre TV, if I was looking for a TV for the bedroom it'd be different.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:05 pm