You are not connected. Please login or register

The Simpsons facing Cancellation?!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! Empty The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:51 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod
I though this was threadworthy...since I can't find a ''random talk'' thread. We can rename later

UPDATE (2:22 PM EST): 20th Century Fox TV released a statement about the negotiations, sounding a bit dire.

23 seasons in, The Simpsons is as creatively vibrant as ever and beloved by millions around the world. We believe this brilliant series can and should continue, but we cannot produce future seasons under its current financial model. We are hopeful that we can reach an agreement with the voice cast that allows The Simpsons to go on entertaining audiences with original episodes for many years to come.
______
PREVIOUSLY: Despite Homer Simpson's best efforts, it may not be a nuclear meltdown that brings about Springfield's doom. Instead, its end may come thanks to the business of Hollywood that the show has lampooned for so long.

According to a new report from The Daily Beast, the show's voice actors are locked in a bitter contract negotiation with 20th Century Fox, with the studio threatening to end production if the talent does not take a 45% pay cut. The actors are countering with an agreement that nets them a 30% reduction in salary but a small slice of the show's back-end earnings, which include the billion dollar syndication and merchandising empire that the studio has built over the past two plus decades.

At the moment, the Daily Beast reports, the show's voice actors -- Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith (Lisa), Hank Azaria and Harry Shearer -- earn about $8 million a year, but do not get a cut of the show's much bigger ancillary profits.

The stars re-upped their contracts in 2008, receiving significant raises; it was reported that they went from $360,000 to $500,000 an episode.

Most of the actors, who each play a number of characters, have other gigs; Azaria, who voices Apu and Chief Wiggums, leads the way with his own NBC sitcom, "Free Agents," though the new show is already in danger of being cancelled thanks to low ratings. He also played a part in this fall's hit film, "Contagion" and starred in this summer's big hit, "The Smurfs."

Castellaneta, the voice of Homer, has had a recurring role in ABC Family's "Greek." Nancy Cartwright, Bart Simpson's voice, also did voices for "Rugrats" and the shows "The Replacements" and "Betsy's Kindergarten Adventures." Harry Shearer has also starred in Christopher Guest's mockumentaries.

DOH!

2The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! Empty Re: The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:06 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Thank God.

3The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! Empty Re: The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:25 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
It died a while ago. One of the best shows ever, though.

4The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! Empty Re: The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! on Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:25 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
It would be an end of an era, but I agree with asq2: it died a while back. If it gets cancelled, I'm just going to remember the old school episodes that would mop the floor with current day animated shows....or any sitcom for that matter.

That said, I doubt they don't come to an agreement.

5The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! Empty Re: The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! on Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:26 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod
10 years too late.

6The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! Empty Re: The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:51 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Sadly, yes.

7The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! Empty Re: The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:31 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I hope they don't come to an agreement. They are past the point of "needing" new episodes. Fox can just ride the gravy train into oblivion at this point...the new episodes don't add any value for this show.

8The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! Empty Re: The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:49 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I don't think it died as much as those who grew up with the show are older and have less time to watch and pretty much everything in existence that isn't a video game or a cell phone is "meh" to the new generation of young adults that should be taking our place as a target audience.

9The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! Empty Re: The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:32 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SeawaySensFan wrote:I don't think it died as much as those who grew up with the show are older and have less time to watch and pretty much everything in existence that isn't a video game or a cell phone is "meh" to the new generation of young adults that should be taking our place as a target audience.

Disagree. I would gladly still watch the show if it didn't suck. It killed itself.

10The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! Empty Re: The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:54 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod
The show that really died about 3 years ago is Family Guy - that show SUCKS the big one now. American Dad is WAAYY better, I think that's the show he's actually spending most of his time on now. The Cleveland show died on arrival, i'm surprised it's still going.

11The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! Empty Re: The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:06 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod
Clevland sucks for sure. Family guy still has it's moments.

12The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! Empty Re: The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:09 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod
NEELY wrote:Clevland sucks for sure. Family guy still has it's moments.

I haven't witnessed anything good from Family Guy for a long time, it's disappointing to say the least.

All they do to fill time is play some crap music and have someone sing something stupid for about 5 minutes per episode and then fill the rest with useless crap that isn't funny.

13The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! Empty Re: The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:13 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SensGirl11 wrote:

I haven't witnessed anything good from Family Guy for a long time, it's disappointing to say the least.

All they do to fill time is play some crap music and have someone sing something stupid for about 5 minutes per episode and then fill the rest with useless crap that isn't funny.

Sounds like Family Guy has jumped the shark. Same fate as the Simpsons.

14The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! Empty Re: The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! on Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:52 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
SensGirl11 wrote:

Yup, I've been disappointed with family guy as well. American dad is the only show on that fox lineup worth watching.....

But Futurama is still alive and well....well not as great as it used to be but it won an emmy!

15The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! Empty Re: The Simpsons facing Cancellation?! on Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:55 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Bob's Burgers!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum