You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 34 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Leafs are kicking the tires on Nabokov and Turco according to Chris Bota (possible sp).

Turco has no contract right now, right?

As far as I know, he's a UFA.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Downie got filled in tonight... sweet.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Leafs are kicking the tires on Nabokov and Turco according to Chris Bota (possible sp).

Turco has no contract right now, right?

As far as I know, he's a UFA.
Fan590 suggested this morning Burke should make a move on Turco if Reimer is out for a significant amount of time... we'll see...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tampa's 1-3-1 system getting some heat tonight after Philly refused to exit their zone, Tampa didn't fore check and so the game came to a stand still... very strange. Happened three times in a row. Now that is some crap hockey right there.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
shabbs wrote:Tampa's 1-3-1 system getting some heat tonight after Philly refused to exit their zone, Tampa didn't fore check and so the game came to a stand still... very strange. Happened three times in a row. Now that is some crap hockey right there.

Yeah, that was actually really really funny. I liked that Philly was exposing Tampa's lack of aggressiveness on their home-ice. It was great.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
NHL shouldn't do anything about it. I really think teams need to figure out how to break the trap.

I think it would be wrong to ban a zone defence. I am not sure if you can waive icing if a team traps.

What about a high, short lob into the zone? Not enough for icing, but enough for the team trying to enter the zone to get under the puck before it lands?

What about quick passes ala rugby?

NEELY

Mod
Mod
Dash wrote:NHL shouldn't do anything about it. I really think teams need to figure out how to break the trap.

I think it would be wrong to ban a zone defence. I am not sure if you can waive icing if a team traps.

What about a high, short lob into the zone? Not enough for icing, but enough for the team trying to enter the zone to get under the puck before it lands?

What about quick passes ala rugby?

Easier said than done. It's been a long time coming for an illegal defense penalty and it will probably be come pretty soon. It should be illegal for no player on the ice to be in forward motion unless on a PK.

What if the team lobs the puck over the boards from their own zone? Penalty.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Heh. Talk of a "shot clock" to get the puck out of the zone have started... oh man that would be silly.

NHL should not get involved at this point. Let the refs call the game based on the current rules... teams will figure out how to break this trap.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

That's hilarious.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So where does the onus fall? Philly has the puck... so they don't like what they see and they just wait until they get the opportunity they like? Seems silly. What a stupid situation that was. Hockey "lost" last night...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
The day the NHL introduces a clock to pass the blue line for example, or a back over rule, is they day hockey sucks.

I don't think a team should be told how to play defence or offence (or lack of). At some point one will have to give, right? You can't just sit there cause you won't win the game. You need time on attack to win.

A defence like Tampa's 1-3-1 aims to create tight pressure which should result in turnovers and scoring chances for them. But obviously if a team doesn't know how to respond to that type of pressure they aren't going to fail trying.

I think it is ridiculous to criticize a team for playing defence. Isn't that what coaches encourage?

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
I don't see anything wrong really, Philly decided to mock Tampa's system in front of their fans. If the game was in Philly they would not have done that.

The "trap" isn't unbeatable, how many trap teams have won the Cup lately ?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
God this situation has received too much press already. It's an isolated incident and likely won't happen again. If it keeps happening, I would just let the refs call delay of game penalties on the attacking team (the one sitting in their own end with the puck).

NEELY

Mod
Mod
tim1_2 wrote:God this situation has received too much press already. It's an isolated incident and likely won't happen again. If it keeps happening, I would just let the refs call delay of game penalties on the attacking team (the one sitting in their own end with the puck).

Why does the offensive team have an obligation to move the puck if they don't like what they see defensivly?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Why everyone heff to be mad? Is just game!

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
NEELY wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:God this situation has received too much press already. It's an isolated incident and likely won't happen again. If it keeps happening, I would just let the refs call delay of game penalties on the attacking team (the one sitting in their own end with the puck).

Why does the offensive team have an obligation to move the puck if they don't like what they see defensivly?

I would say that if the offensive team is not moving the puck out of their own end, then the defense is doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing. What if a team decides to sit behind their own net? Surely the owness can't be on the defensive team to send a player chasing around one side of the net, effectively taking him out of the resulting breakout. The offensive team should have the obligation to at least push the puck to their own blueline.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NEELY wrote:

There's no obligation to, but it is in the interest of competition and gamesmanship to keep the game going. This stunt will get old real fast and someone will figure out a nice way around it or at least a way to disrupt it.

NEELY

Mod
Mod
tim1_2 wrote:
NEELY wrote:

I would say that if the offensive team is not moving the puck out of their own end, then the defense is doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing. What if a team decides to sit behind their own net? Surely the owness can't be on the defensive team to send a player chasing around one side of the net, effectively taking him out of the resulting breakout. The offensive team should have the obligation to at least push the puck to their own blueline.

Obviously this would happen but what is stopping the defense from putting 6 guys in the net? They won't score that way either. Just pile them in there. It's obviously an extreme and completely stupid thought but it falls along the same lines of "the defense is just playing defense".

Fact of the matter is there should be a rule where if 5 players on the opposing team are all skating backwards while the other team has the puck, it's a penalty. It's that simple.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 34 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum