Total Votes: 6

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Re: Game Day - Senators @ Sabres , 7:30PM, Friday, Movember 11, 2011

Post by LeCaptain on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:43 pm

For the record I think the 1st overalls of the past few years (let's say 5-6) and for the next few years will be stars. I think scouting and training are a lot easier now.

That being said, I also believe building a Stanley Cup team without a top 3 pick, ever, is also much easier because of the same reason. Just look at Rundblad, Cowen and Karlsson.
    A top 3 pick is not worth tanking a season, not even 1. Winning is a habit and talent is just an ingredient of the soup, and as long as it is possible to get the Cup without a top 5 pick we shouldn't even think about getting 1.
    Boston's progression over the past 5 years is a testament to that. Same thing for a team like Philly. Their best player has been drafted in the 20's.
    Seguin may lead his team in scoring, but for every guy like that, there's a Jamie Benn or a Claude Giroux.
    Lots of teams have drafted top 5 and haven't done Dung. There are more of those than Winners.

Don't let Edmonton's pts total fool you, their goalie is playing over his head. They're 26th in goals scored per game, RNH and Hall are not "winning" them games yet. They have a very long way to go and would probably need 3 Playoffs runs to even get there. By that time they will be close to 20 years of mediocrity.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:48 pm

The convo was about the lottle pick. For the most part, unless it is a generational talent, they won't be the best player from the draft.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:50 pm

La Femme wrote:For the record I think the 1st overalls of the past few years (let's say 5-6) and for the next few years will be stars. I think scouting and training are a lot easier now.

That being said, I also believe building a Stanley Cup team without a top 3 pick, ever, is also much easier because of the same reason. Just look at Rundblad, Cowen and Karlsson.
    A top 3 pick is not worth tanking a season, not even 1. Winning is a habit and talent is just an ingredient of the soup, and as long as it is possible to get the Cup without a top 5 pick we shouldn't even think about getting 1.
    Boston's progression over the past 5 years is a testament to that. Same thing for a team like Philly. Their best player has been drafted in the 20's.
    Seguin may lead his team in scoring, but for every guy like that, there's a Jamie Benn or a Claude Giroux.
    Lots of teams have drafted top 5 and haven't done Dung. There are more of those than Winners.

Don't let Edmonton's pts total fool you, their goalie is playing over his head. They're 26th in goals scored per game, RNH and Hall are not "winning" them games yet. They have a very long way to go and would probably need 3 Playoffs runs to even get there. By that time they will be close to 20 years of mediocrity.

Copy and paste.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54585
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:34 am

Yeah, I think if you go back to the early 2000s, you have guys in the top 3 that wouldn't be today because of the internet + teams spending more money on scouting etc. I like Tavares, Hall, RNH, Stamkos to all be pieces that could lead a team to a Cup, but you have to have the other elements - like D in Edmonton's case, or even a future star goaltender.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48173
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:44 am

La Femme wrote:For the record I think the 1st overalls of the past few years (let's say 5-6) and for the next few years will be stars. I think scouting and training are a lot easier now.

Agree with everything but a minor quibble over the last point. Their "mediocrity" may, partially, be attributed to playing in a very strong Western Conference. They *did* make the Cup Finals one year, and if not for getting their #1 steam-rolled in his own crease they probably would have won it all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 pm