wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48187
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

I've been hacked (?)

Post by wprager on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:45 am

Either my personal e-mail account has been hacked or my laptop's been infected. This morning I saw a "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)" in my Inbox, and when I checked it out it was definitely spam, sent from my personal e-mail account. What I'm not sure about is whether my laptop has been infected or my account has been hacked (aim.com has a web interface). First thing I did was go offline (by disabling wireless) and run Trend Micro Office Scan. It's still running but nothing so far. Then I changed the SMTP server hostname to a bogus one in my T-bird account settings (not sure if that makes a difference or not). After that I went back online and changed the password on my e-mail account.

At this point I don't know if someone has hacked my account or if my laptop is infected with a virus.

• there is nothing in my Sent folder for this e-mail (my Sent folder is on the server, so that doesn't prove it wasn't sent from my laptop)
    • there are also several "Returned mail: see transcript" items in my Spam folder (not sure why it's in the Spam folder, since the body of the message does not include the original message text; however it does include the subject)
    • at least one of the e-mails mentioned in the To-list of one of the "Returned emails" in my Spam folder was an e-mail address that I don't have in my address book (Personal address book, Contacts and Collected Addresses) in T-Bird; however when I went to the web-based client, composed an e-mail and typed in the start of that e-mail address, it auto-completed it for me
    • this makes me think pretty strongly that it was my account that was hacked, and not my laptop being infected does that sound right?

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Re: I've been hacked (?)

Post by spader on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:56 am

Ya. Changing your password should do it. It happened to me in the past as well. I scanned for viruses and found nothing, but changing the pw prevented it from happening again. Good luck.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Trend Micro finally finished, found 17 instances of "grayware" which were all cookies that it cleaned out; no viruses or worms or anything like that -- and TrendMicro is kept up-to-date at work.

OK, hopefully a pw change will do the trick.

Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:50 pm

Hope you didn't use that e-mail address/password as a logon for another site. if so change it as well (I am probably preaching to the choir here).
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:55 pm

Hoags wrote:Hope you didn't use that e-mail address/password as a logon for another site. if so change it as well (I am probably preaching to the choir here).

I use that e-mail address for lots of places, but not the same password. Atleast not usually.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:46 pm