General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54404
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by PTFlea on Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:02 am

Big Ev wrote:
    NEELY wrote:Brian Elliott still getting the job done. The guy is a number 1 goaltender and always has been. It's a shame Ottawa almost ruined him. Right now, he wins the Vezina at the 1/4 mark.

Perfect time for STL to trade him to Columbus.

Seriously, cash in while he's blazing hot. He's certainly nowhere near as good as his stat line (obviously), but he's likely a starter in the NHL - and hot damn does Columbus ever need that. Mind you, playing G behind a sturdy St.Louis D - especially now - and playing G in front of the BJs are two completely different things.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16317
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:42 am

Jason Garrison scored again. He now has 8 goals (leads the NHL for d-men) and is a +7 on the very surprising Panthers. Brian Campbell leads all d-men in points with 19 (he has assisted on all of Garrison's goals).

If you haven't seen his howitzer, YouTube him. The guy can rifle the puck.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:46 am

Yeah, he's gonna get paid this summer for sure.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by Riprock on Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:56 am

Half of his goals were scored on the powerplay. And yup, he's a UFA after this season and is making $675K.

In his last 3 seasons with Floria, he went from playing 1 game, to 39 the next, to 73 last season. His goals went from 0, to 2, to 5. With 8 this season he has more than he has in his past 3 seasons and is on pace for ~28 goals.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:00 pm

Okay, for the first time in a while, I'm dead serious:

Blake Comeau on waivers and we should be on it.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Comeau for the win?!
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:19 pm

Dash wrote:Half of his goals were scored on the powerplay. And yup, he's a UFA after this season and is making $675K.

In his last 3 seasons with Floria, he went from playing 1 game, to 39 the next, to 73 last season. His goals went from 0, to 2, to 5. With 8 this season he has more than he has in his past 3 seasons and is on pace for ~28 goals.

Apparently playing with Campbell is all he needed. I have no idea how his defensive game stacks up (must be decent), but just watch his shot. Amazing.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20853
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:21 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:Okay, for the first time in a while, I'm dead serious:

No Comeau
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:23 pm

Big Ev wrote:

No Comeau

Why not? 24 goals last year, the kid is 25 years old on one of the worst run franchises in the league and has lost his confidence. A change of scenery wouldn't do him a world of good?
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20853
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:38 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
    Big Ev wrote:

No Comeau

Why not? 24 goals last year, the kid is 25 years old on one of the worst run franchises in the league and has lost his confidence. A change of scenery wouldn't do him a world of good?

Sure why not. I was just saying No Comeau for entertainment purposes.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:43 pm

Nah, I don't think we should use up a roster spot giving Comeau a shot. I don't think his potential upside is worth it. He has 0 pts in 16 games this year, and he averaged 13 minutes a game. He should've got a point in there somewhere.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if someone claims him. I just don't know where he fits in on our team.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:46 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Nah, I don't think we should use up a roster spot giving Comeau a shot. I don't think his potential upside is worth it. He has 0 pts in 16 games this year, and he averaged 13 minutes a game. He should've got a point in there somewhere.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if someone claims him. I just don't know where he fits in on our team.

That's the only thing right now, yeah. We have guys who have earned their spots on this team - from Foligno, Greening, Z.Smith, Daugavins, Condra, Winchester, Konopka (kind of). The only spot he could take is Butler's - and I doubt he'd produce on line 4.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:48 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    Dash wrote:Half of his goals were scored on the powerplay. And yup, he's a UFA after this season and is making $675K.

Apparently playing with Campbell is all he needed. I have no idea how his defensive game stacks up (must be decent), but just watch his shot. Amazing.

I'm not going to say that all of the credit is due to playing with certain teammates, but it happens quite a bit where an average player has a breakout year all of a sudden under the right conditions.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:51 pm

Dash wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

I'm not going to say that all of the credit is due to playing with certain teammates, but it happens quite a bit where an average player has a breakout year all of a sudden under the right conditions.

In other words, the team that pays him 4-5 million per year on a 5 year term might be in trouble.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:52 pm

I think the only position the Sens can justly fill is the 2nd line C role. Da Costa can go down to Bingo.

Regin will come back at some point, but given his history, depth at C is necessary.

I see no reason why anyone else in the line-up right now deserves to be demoted. Team is winning, and only really recently developing a team identity.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:42 am