General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10037
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by spader on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:07 am

wprager wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:
    Michallica wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:Boudreau got fired? Well there you go I guess.

source? I don't see it any wurr

RealKyper_ Nick Kypreos
    #caps have fired Bruce Boudreau, possible replacement is Dale Hunter as the next coach. #nhl

Maybe that's no legit, because I too can't find it anywhere.

Except RealKyper_ is *not* Nick Kypreos.

The 1300 followers should be a clue... Facepalm

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54243
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by PTFlea on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:42 am

Nevertheless, there are a ton of rumours that this is gonna happen.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10037
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:04 am

SpezDispenser wrote:Nevertheless, there are a ton of rumours that this is gonna happen.
    I don't think there's much doubt that he'll get canned at some point.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47671
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:30 am

spader wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:Nevertheless, there are a ton of rumours that this is gonna happen.
    I don't think there's much doubt that he'll get canned at some point.

Yeah, not so much rumours but educated guesses, informed opinions and recognition of patterns repeated every year (a.k.a. experience).

Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:35 am

How the hell are the Leafs winning ????? :crossarms:
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:49 am

Hoags wrote:How the hell are the Leafs winning ????? :crossarms:

Kessel, Lupul, good D, decent goaltending.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:53 am

Michallica wrote:Brian Elliott is now 9-1. hot diggity damn

Best goaltender in the NHL right now. The guy has all the talent in the world and is now in a position where he can reach it. Ottawa bury's their goaltenders no matter what. Just a matter of time before it happens to Anderson but I digress.

I said it a week ago, Elliott wins the Vezina right now.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:56 am

Soft schedule doesn't hurt. They haven't played the Sabres yet and lost both games to Boston. The rest of the NE isn't exactly strong. They are .500 against (current) playoff teams, which includes beating the Caps a few nights ago (the Caps are only a playoff team because of their 7-0 start and have been horrible lately). Also Toronto's first loss was against Colorado, who were a playoff team at the time.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:39 am

Caps have fired Boudreau and replaced him with Dale Hunter.

WOW.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:40 am

Bruce Boudreau fired. About time. I don't really think he is to blame but he's never been a very good coach. When AO said "fat Diddle", that just shows you the lack of respect he had for him.

This is on Ovechkin and Semin as much as Boudreau. Semin is in for a nightmare with Hunter coming in to replace him.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:41 am

NEELY wrote:
    Best goaltender in the NHL right now. The guy has all the talent in the world and is now in a position where he can reach it. Ottawa bury's their goaltenders no matter what. Just a matter of time before it happens to Anderson but I digress.

Elliott was in Ottawa under the worst of circumstances because Gerber and Leclaire couldn't handle the job. If we brought him in properly and not rushed him he'd be money with us as well. Seems they've learned their lesson with Lehner although it briefly happened last year.

I don't think it will happen with Anderson, MacLean seems to be handling him quite well.

The lack of goaltending depth in the organization worries me though, why Murray is so against drafting goalies (Lehner was an exception) is beyond me.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:47 am

Hoags wrote:
    NEELY wrote:

Elliott was in Ottawa under the worst of circumstances because Gerber and Leclaire couldn't handle the job. If we brought him in properly and not rushed him he'd be money with us as well. Seems they've learned their lesson with Lehner although it briefly happened last year.

I don't think it will happen with Anderson, MacLean seems to be handling him quite well.

The lack of goaltending depth in the organization worries me though, why Murray is so against drafting goalies (Lehner was an exception) is beyond me.

Goaltenders can be found anywhere. They are a crap shoot at best. Look at the Islanders, they take a goaltender or two every year and they still have guys 35 or older in between the pipes. How many organizations really have good goaltending depth? Nashville? They are about the only team that seems to produce them left, right, and center. Maybe San Jose.

I agree with everything you said about Elliott though.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:07 am

NEELY wrote:
    Goaltenders can be found anywhere. They are a crap shoot at best.

That's true but how many are legit #1 starting goaltenders ? I mean if we didn't land Anderson we'd have had Theodore or Smith, would that have worked for us ? What a risk. Look at Schneider filling in for an injured Luongo.

The organizations that have great goaltending depth have great goalie coaches. Washington is also set (Arturs Irbe did a great job there) with Neuvirth and Holtby, they could easily trade away Varlamov and signed Vokoun for a steal. Not sure how good Walmsley is at developing goaltenders, his claim to fame is Leclaire.

If Anderson goes down, how far can Auld carry the team ? Should Lehner really be up here for long stretches at this stage in his career ? What if Lehner is out ? McKenna ??
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:10 am

In the wake of Dale Hunter moving up to the Caps HC position, the Knights Announce Coaching Change: Mark Hunter will take over as General Manager & Head Coach

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:16 am

Hoags wrote:
    NEELY wrote:
    Goaltenders can be found anywhere. They are a crap shoot at best.

That's true but how many are legit #1 starting goaltenders ? I mean if we didn't land Anderson we'd have had Theodore or Smith, would that have worked for us ? What a risk. Look at Schneider filling in for an injured Luongo.

The organizations that have great goaltending depth have great goalie coaches. Washington is also set (Arturs Irbe did a great job there) with Neuvirth and Holtby, they could easily trade away Varlamov and signed Vokoun for a steal. Not sure how good Walmsley is at developing goaltenders, his claim to fame is Leclaire.

If Anderson goes down, how far can Auld carry the team ? Should Lehner really be up here for long stretches at this stage in his career ? What if Lehner is out ? McKenna ??

Forgot about Washington. Solid depth there too.

Goaltenders take years to develop and to be honest, the Sens along with a lot of other orgaizations are better off not drafting guys and then proceed to sign UFA guys from Europe or even guys that have played their fill tenure in the CHL or NCAA. Yah, perhaps they need to find a goalie they truly believe in and develop him after Lehner is in Ottawa full time but other than that... tough to find guys that will work out.

Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:24 am

NEELY wrote:
    Goaltenders take years to develop and to be honest, the Sens along with a lot of other orgaizations are better off not drafting guys and then proceed to sign UFA guys from Europe or even guys that have played their fill tenure in the CHL or NCAA. Yah, perhaps they need to find a goalie they truly believe in and develop him after Lehner is in Ottawa full time but other than that... tough to find guys that will work out.

Yes and I understand that's why they don't spend high picks on goalies but the alternative hasn't worked out for us. Signing free agents (Gerber) or trades (Leclaire). Lehner looks to be the real deal, hopefully they don't rush him (intentionally or not) like they did Elliott.

I don't see them going after goalies like say the Leafs do. Up until recently goaltending has never been something team management has taken seriously. We always put our faith in questionable starters with no real backup plan in place. I think Anderson was a good move, and his contract gives Lehner plenty of time, I'd like his path to the NHL to mirror Schneider's.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:35 am

Hoags wrote:
    NEELY wrote:

Yes and I understand that's why they don't spend high picks on goalies but the alternative hasn't worked out for us. Signing free agents (Gerber) or trades (Leclaire). Lehner looks to be the real deal, hopefully they don't rush him (intentionally or not) like they did Elliott.

I don't see them going after goalies like say the Leafs do. Up until recently goaltending has never been something team management has taken seriously. We always put our faith in questionable starters with no real backup plan in place. I think Anderson was a good move, and his contract gives Lehner plenty of time, I'd like his path to the NHL to mirror Schneider's.

I don't disagree. The only thing I am saying is, if they don't think they can find a true number 1 goaltneder in the draft or at least a guy that has a chance to be, then you don't draft one. A backup is way too easy to find, AHL goaltending depth is even easier to find. So, unless you have a guy in mind that has top end potential along with what seems to be a strong mental makeup... move on. The isn't even taking into consideration that Ottawa bleives Lehner is 100% the real deal along with already have a real number 1 goaltender in the NHL.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:54 am

Dreger: 1 coach down. Could there be 2 today? Rumours suggest Paul Maurice will be replaced by Milwaukee's Kirk Muller. Interesting day.

Keep your twitter feeds updated...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:54 pm