You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » 3 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings

3 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

463 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings - Page 4 Empty Re: 3 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:48 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:Souray could always play, buuuuut like Horcoff a couple of years ago Edmonton was a mess. People act like players who have ONE off year are all of the sudden awful. It's kind of sad really.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that you didn't bother watching the Oilers the last two seasons - and don't say you did, because honestly anyone who saw even half their games wouldn't be commenting on Horcoff's play in those seasons. I remember posting on this board - although I can't find it, that Horcoff looked like a slower, less offensively gifted, defensively challenged version of Mike Fisher. Does that sound appealing?

It does if he's strikingly handsome and good in the community.

473 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings - Page 4 Empty Re: 3 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:50 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod
SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:Souray could always play, buuuuut like Horcoff a couple of years ago Edmonton was a mess. People act like players who have ONE off year are all of the sudden awful. It's kind of sad really.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that you didn't bother watching the Oilers the last two seasons - and don't say you did, because honestly anyone who saw even half their games wouldn't be commenting on Horcoff's play in those seasons. I remember posting on this board - although I can't find it, that Horcoff looked like a slower, less offensively gifted, defensively challenged version of Mike Fisher. Does that sound appealing?

Considering HOrcoff only played 47 games last year... the year before he was awful, no doubt. Everything before that, well Mike Fisher's best year was basically Horcoff's worst. Either way, Saying he was awful for the last 2 or 3 season's simply isn't true. He had one awful year, along with SOuray, along with that whole team.

Easy to look bad on an awful team and a poorly run franchise. Souray wasn't even in Edmonton last year so how people could say he was washed up is beyond me. The guy didn't want to be in Edmonton, made it known, got shipped out and was never heard from again. He's back and tearing it up like he usually does.

483 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings - Page 4 Empty Re: 3 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:53 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
In Montreal, when Souray had a clear shot at the net on the PP, it was basically an automatic goal.

493 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings - Page 4 Empty Re: 3 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:11 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
SeawaySensFan wrote:In Montreal, when Souray had a clear shot at the net on the PP, it was basically an automatic goal.

Teams passed over him because of his attitude towards Edmonton, but there was clearly a lot left in that tank. Not sure why a team didn't acquire him from Edmonton for a song and see what he had left that year, but no one wanted to...

503 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings - Page 4 Empty Re: 3 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:13 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod
SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:In Montreal, when Souray had a clear shot at the net on the PP, it was basically an automatic goal.

Teams passed over him because of his attitude towards Edmonton, but there was clearly a lot left in that tank. Not sure why a team didn't acquire him from Edmonton for a song and see what he had left that year, but no one wanted to...

Yah, had nothing to do with a huge contract.

513 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings - Page 4 Empty Re: 3 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:19 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Yah, had nothing to do with a huge contract.

Meh, if you're a team that needed a cannon from the back end desperately enough, it would have cost you 2.75 million - almost exactly - to try Souray for the rest of the year with absolutely no risk after that as he was to become a UFA.

It's as close to no risk as you can get, especially for a bigger market team.

523 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings - Page 4 Empty Re: 3 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:23 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod
You make it sound like teams that are going for a cup are not up against the cap or small market teams can afford 3 mil in salary... not to mention some teams that are rebuilding don't want a guy that said "I don't want to play for a rebuilding team".

A ton of factors. He found a home and like basically every other year, he's scoring and playing well.

533 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings - Page 4 Empty Re: 3 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:26 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
NEELY wrote:
A ton of factors. He found a home and like basically every other year, he's scoring and playing well.

The Stars are playing very well without Richards under their new coach, I am sure that has rubbed off on him as well.

543 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings - Page 4 Empty Re: 3 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:30 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
There's always one or two teams who have the space and are in the hunt. It would come down to who needed him at the time - and I can't remember who was in it when he was waived and who needed a PP QB.

Not to mention that Edmonton would have taken salary back to boot. They would have eaten a million, maybe even a million-five to make that happen, so at the end of the day, you're spending less than 1.5 million dollars to give Sheldon Souray a shot. I like those odds.

553 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings - Page 4 Empty Re: 3 BEST UFA signings + 3 WORST UFA signings on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:55 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Hoags wrote:The Stars are playing very well without Richards under their new coach, I am sure that has rubbed off on him as well.

You mean the stars WERE playing very well. They are starting to come back to earth...3-6-1 in their last ten.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum