Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21017
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Re: 2012 IIHF World Junior Championships

Post by Ev on Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:08 am

wprager wrote:
    LeKid wrote:Stone 2 goals, ZIbanejad 2 goals

Just to be clear -- Stone has 2 goals in total; Zibby had two in this game (second one was into an empty net).

Stone has 5 goals.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:28 am

I'm sorry but Sweden looks better than Canada. They are a fast, hard-hitting team and have some serious depth. They have some guys that are very good in these tourneys (Johan Sundstrom, Victor Rask, William Karlsson, Johan Larsson, Zibby).

Pontus Åberg is now injured and is replaced by Jeremy Boyce-Rotevall. Åberg was Zibby's line mate.

Fredrik Claesson was solid defensively last night. He was out there in key situations. I couldn't find him at first because he isn't too noticeable and I didn't know his #.

Their goalie Gustavsson looks like he wears illegal equipment like Markström but he is a mammoth in the net and is one of the best goalies at this tourney IMO. 4 shutouts in the SEL this year.

John Klingberg looks like a very confident offensive d-man. Looks like the Stars got a good player in the 5th round. Good hockey sense and size.

Rickard Rakell plays with Stefan Noesen in Plymouth and you can tell he is used to, and loves, the North American style of game. He's on Zibby's line, so watch out for him in the coming weeks.

Sweden will medal for sure.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:31 am

Also, Devante Smith-Pelly needs to stop focusing on hitting and start actually using his offensive abilities. Stop running around out there. Some of his hits were borderline dirty as well.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48305
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Big Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Just to be clear -- Stone has 2 goals in total; Zibby had two in this game (second one was into an empty net).

Stone has 5 goals.

OK, now I'm puzzled. He only had 1 last night -- the first one. Maybe he got credit for Schwartz's goal that was later changed?

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Big Ev wrote:I'm sorry but Sweden looks better than Canada. They are a fast, hard-hitting team and have some serious depth. They have some guys that are very good in these tourneys (Johan Sundstrom, Victor Rask, William Karlsson, Johan Larsson, Zibby).

Pontus Åberg is now injured and is replaced by Jeremy Boyce-Rotevall. Åberg was Zibby's line mate.

Fredrik Claesson was solid defensively last night. He was out there in key situations. I couldn't find him at first because he isn't too noticeable and I didn't know his #.

Their goalie Gustavsson looks like he wears illegal equipment like Markström but he is a mammoth in the net and is one of the best goalies at this tourney IMO. 4 shutouts in the SEL this year.

John Klingberg looks like a very confident offensive d-man. Looks like the Stars got a good player in the 5th round. Good hockey sense and size.

Rickard Rakell plays with Stefan Noesen in Plymouth and you can tell he is used to, and loves, the North American style of game. He's on Zibby's line, so watch out for him in the coming weeks.

Let's not sell Canada short because of one exhibition game. By all accounts Visentin didn't play well (4 goals on 17 shots) but it looked like Hay wanted each goalie to play roughly half the game (Visentin came out after 31 minutes). They scored 3 goals in under 3 minutes to take that lead, but it was a nail-biter to the end. It was a 4-3 game until the empty-netter, and if not for Visentin's poor play in those 3 minutes it could have been a much different outcome.

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:19 pm

wprager wrote:
    Big Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Stone has 5 goals.

OK, now I'm puzzled. He only had 1 last night -- the first one. Maybe he got credit for Schwartz's goal that was later changed?

He and Gallagher were hacking at the puck while it was in the air. TSN said Stone got the goal (after their own video review). In the statsheet though Gallagher was rewarded.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:21 pm

wprager wrote:
    Big Ev wrote:I'm sorry but Sweden looks better than Canada. They are a fast, hard-hitting team and have some serious depth. They have some guys that are very good in these tourneys (Johan Sundstrom, Victor Rask, William Karlsson, Johan Larsson, Zibby).

Let's not sell Canada short because of one exhibition game. By all accounts Visentin didn't play well (4 goals on 17 shots) but it looked like Hay wanted each goalie to play roughly half the game (Visentin came out after 31 minutes). They scored 3 goals in under 3 minutes to take that lead, but it was a nail-biter to the end. It was a 4-3 game until the empty-netter, and if not for Visentin's poor play in those 3 minutes it could have been a much different outcome.

They are slower than the Swedes. Better team? may be. But they don't skate as well.
    Sweden and Russia are more skilled IMO.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:35 pm

And I've got my Team Russia jersey at the ready Smile

Frankly, I'm not ready to say the Swedes are a faster team. Sure, there will be Team Sweden players who are faster than Team Canada players, and vice versa. And it's quite possible that the fastest skater is on one team or the other. But it's not like Team Canada is a group of Rhinos competing against the Swedish Greyhounds.

It was an exhibition game, I'm not going to pass judgement until I see how they compete when the chips are on the line.

P.S. What better time to find out you've got competition than in the exhibition round?

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:51 am

Just a little over 5 hours to go until Canada-Finland.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Canada up 2-0 early. Looking pumped.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:51 pm

I'm surprised Visentin was named the starter in goal. No doubt he'll be on a short leash.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:08 pm

shabbs wrote:Canada up 2-0 early. Looking pumped.

Mark Stone with the one-timer Cheering
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54632
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:29 pm

Stone looks like a beast right now!
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54632
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Dung my feed! I think he just scored again! He was buzzing...
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Michallica wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Canada up 2-0 early. Looking pumped.

Mark Stone with the one-timer Cheering

Repeat msg

Stone has a filthy release!
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Stone is on fire.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:50 pm

They talk about Stone's skating being weak. I guess you don't need top speed or a fancy stride to sneak into the open areas. Heatley wasn't the best skater either.

P.S. What kind of name is "Gibson" for a Finnish goalie?

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:48 pm

Hat-trick for Stone. I wonder what he'll tweet after the game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:29 pm