General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 17019
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:27 am

shabbs wrote:Wings destroyed Miller and the Sabres last night 5-0. Chased Miller from the net early in the 2nd after the 5th goal.

Yeah, Buffalo's misery is my delight.

It's funny, Doug MacLean was talking last night about how Buffalo might want Bobby Ryan from Anaheim, and they could trade Miller for him. I was thinking "ya, and who else?" I think Buffalo would have to include MORE in that deal for Ryan, considering Miller's bad year.

That said, Buffalo is SEVEN points out of a playoff spot, and may indeed end up being "sellers" at the deadline.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by shabbs on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:30 am

Yeah, no way ANA moves Ryan for just Miller. Leafs would be interested in Ryan for sure... same for the Flyers. Will be interesting to see if he does indeed move.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:21 am

shabbs wrote:Yeah, no way ANA moves Ryan for just Miller. Leafs would be interested in Ryan for sure... same for the Flyers. Will be interesting to see if he does indeed move.

I still think, due to the contract situation (Ryan signed long-term, Getzlaf and Perry expiring after next season) that Ryan would be the LEAST likely to move, but what do I know. It would also appear obvious to me that SOMETHING should change in Anaheim, given their current situation, and trading one of the big three could make a huge difference to that franchise.

Their situation is not entirely unlike Tampa Bay, where they have three really great forwards, and then it thins out pretty fast from there. Goaltending is an issue in both cases. If Anaheim wants a solid goalie back, that limits the number of potential trade partners.

They should've held onto Emery.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9236
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:33 am

shabbs wrote:Wings destroyed Miller and the Sabres last night 5-0. Chased Miller from the net early in the 2nd after the 5th goal.

Questionable core of players plus very questionable free agent acquisitions. Pegula just learned you don't buy a winner.
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2730
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by TheAvatar on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:44 am

tim1_2 wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Yeah, no way ANA moves Ryan for just Miller. Leafs would be interested in Ryan for sure... same for the Flyers. Will be interesting to see if he does indeed move.

I still think, due to the contract situation (Ryan signed long-term, Getzlaf and Perry expiring after next season) that Ryan would be the LEAST likely to move, but what do I know. It would also appear obvious to me that SOMETHING should change in Anaheim, given their current situation, and trading one of the big three could make a huge difference to that franchise.

Their situation is not entirely unlike Tampa Bay, where they have three really great forwards, and then it thins out pretty fast from there. Goaltending is an issue in both cases. If Anaheim wants a solid goalie back, that limits the number of potential trade partners.

They should've held onto Emery.

Can't help but think that Bobby Ryan would be a nice upgrade over Greening on our top line ... Not sure we have the assets though; well, I'd guess we do but not sure we want to empty the cupboard so to say.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:49 am

TheAvatar wrote:
    Can't help but think that Bobby Ryan would be a nice upgrade over Greening on our top line ... Not sure we have the assets though; well, I'd guess we do but not sure we want to empty the cupboard so to say.

I wouldn't empty the cupboard right now, especially for Ryan. The price would be far too high. And he just seems like a big douche, not sure if he'd fit on the team.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24789
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:53 am

tim1_2 wrote:

Yeah, Buffalo's misery is my delight.

It's funny, Doug MacLean was talking last night about how Buffalo might want Bobby Ryan from Anaheim, and they could trade Miller for him. I was thinking "ya, and who else?" I think Buffalo would have to include MORE in that deal for Ryan, considering Miller's bad year.

That said, Buffalo is SEVEN points out of a playoff spot, and may indeed end up being "sellers" at the deadline.

Maybe Miller and Leino, (PLUS of course) for Hiller and Ryan? It could fit.

Both of the "experts" on SN had Toronto at the top of the list in the Ryan sweeps, natch.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:57 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Both of the "experts" on SN had Toronto at the top of the list in the Ryan sweeps, natch.

I'm sure they have Toronto at the top of every sweepstakes. I'm sure they think Jurke can get any player he wants for some 4th line players and scrubs from the Marlies since he's such a genius and all.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:58 am

Hoags wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

I'm sure they have Toronto at the top of every sweepstakes. I'm sure they think Jurke can get any player he wants for some 4th line players and scrubs from the Marlies since he's such a genius and all.

Not just a genius. The Genius.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:00 am

TheAvatar wrote:Can't help but think that Bobby Ryan would be a nice upgrade over Greening on our top line ... Not sure we have the assets though; well, I'd guess we do but not sure we want to empty the cupboard so to say.

Yeah, I think any team would welcome Bobbdy Ryan. And we certainly have to assets, but like you say, there's no sense emptying the cupboard.

I still think that we'll try to land a big fish (Parise) via free agency instead of via trade. If we do end up trading for a big-name player, I can't see it happening before the 2013 trade deadline or draft, when we know more about our future (i.e. what Z-Bad, etc, are bringing to the table).

As others have noted, we may have made our "big" trade for the year with Turris.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:04 am

tim1_2 wrote:
    TheAvatar wrote:Can't help but think that Bobby Ryan would be a nice upgrade over Greening on our top line ... Not sure we have the assets though; well, I'd guess we do but not sure we want to empty the cupboard so to say.

Yeah, I think any team would welcome Bobbdy Ryan. And we certainly have to assets, but like you say, there's no sense emptying the cupboard.

I still think that we'll try to land a big fish (Parise) via free agency instead of via trade. If we do end up trading for a big-name player, I can't see it happening before the 2013 trade deadline or draft, when we know more about our future (i.e. what Z-Bad, etc, are bringing to the table).

As others have noted, we may have made our "big" trade for the year with Turris.

Trading a couple of assets is not emptying the cupboard. I don't see what the big deal is. As for Parise, no way NJ lets him go for nothing so we would have to give up something.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:08 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Trading a couple of assets is not emptying the cupboard. I don't see what the big deal is. As for Parise, no way NJ lets him go for nothing so we would have to give up something.

Zibanejad, Prince, Puempel, Noesen, Silfverberg are our best prospects. I'd be really reluctant to trade any of them.

He's an upcoming UFA, I'd have to check but the price would be similar than what they paid for Kovalchuk.

I think Boo Boo made a good point and we can expect Minnesota to be a frontrunner (and he's from Minnesota so they have an advantage).

In other news Derick Brassard seems to have picked it up since Arniel was canned, I wonder if that's still a possibility.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 55158
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:25 am

Remember last year when Miller was amazing? That's what Anaheim would be buying for Ryan - which I think is a solid transaction. Roy + Miller for Ryan + Hiller. Fair enough IMO.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:31 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:

The thing is, the ultimate decision is Parise's to make. The only way I see him signing a new contract before free agency is if he gets a mega-mega offer that is too good to refuse (like $80M for 10 years). I don't think NJ is going to offer him this, so then are they going to trade him at the deadline, especially if they are still in a playoff race? Unlikely. They can trade his rights prior to free agency, but then the return is a lot lower, and there is still no guarantee he doesn't go to free agency. Maybe Ottawa trades for his rights?

I still think Ottawa waits to see who they can land this summer via FA before considering any big splash via trade.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:34 am

Hoags wrote:In other news Derick Brassard seems to have picked it up since Arniel was canned, I wonder if that's still a possibility.

I would have to think not. Our long-term 2nd line C hopes currently rest with Turris until further notice.

Any other trade this season will likely be for depth if we're in a playoff position. Think Prospal or Ruutu.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:38 am

tim1_2 wrote:
    Hoags wrote:In other news Derick Brassard seems to have picked it up since Arniel was canned, I wonder if that's still a possibility.

I would have to think not. Our long-term 2nd line C hopes currently rest with Turris until further notice.

That's true but even when we got Turris, MacLean was all excited to have Regin as #3C and moved Smith to wing. Regin is probably done and won't be resigned so they still might be 100% satisfied with our depth at centre.

Brassard is a left-hand shot, can probably play wing as well and is young enough to be a long term solution here(I don't think they'll go for a rental, they'll try and land a player who can play here for years to come).
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10091
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:40 pm

I didn't realize this before: Leino's salary went from $825,000 in 10/11 to $11,000,000 this year and $10M the next.

He has 10 points.

Laughing3

EDIT: Come to think of it, the number of inflated contracts in Buffalo is insane. They look like the Sens of a couple years ago.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:09 pm

TBay beat Boston tonight 5-3.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:48 pm