You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » Pacific » San Jose Sharks » GDT: Sens @ Sharks, Thursday, January 19, 2012 @ 10:30PM

GDT: Sens @ Sharks, Thursday, January 19, 2012 @ 10:30PM

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 11]

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star
Let me try this then, based on what I m reading:

It is difficult for a defenceman to play his offside.
Only elite defencemen can play both sides.
Therefore, a defenceman who can play both sides is elite.

Sarcasm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Riprock wrote:Let me try this then, based on what I m reading:

It is difficult for a defenceman to play his offside.
Only elite defencemen can play both sides.
Therefore, a defenceman who can play both sides is elite.

Sarcasm

Makes sense Cheers

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star
I was hoping so. I tried to make sure it was valid. And also sound. It's definitely cogent though.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Hoags wrote:Makes his NHL debut by playing his off-side. That'll be fun.

Carkner is in a similar position to Kuba last year, missed camp and part of the season and is now way behind.

In a situation like this, they'll probably just play Karlsson & Gonchar more, and have the other four guys partner up with them on a rotating basis. That's what they did when Kuba and then Phillips missed games -- more TOI to Cowen, with Cowen skating with Karlsson most of the time but also Lee/Carkner.

I think I remember SpezD saying, via Joy, that Boro plays both sides of the ice in Bingo, too.

Again, short term, no biggie.

Anyway, it will be good to get a look at him at this level!

Impossible.

No, just rare.

I know it's rare. You said so several times and pointed out the rare instances of elite D-Men that could do it.

I'm encouraged by the Boro-cop's obvious eliteness.

To be fair, they played Boro on the left side exclusively, to my absolute non-surprise.

Btw, ever notice how hall of famer Denis Potvin -- who, I confess, is a poor commentator, but was a great Dman -- makes a big deal out of every time he sees a D on his off side, and notes how hard it is to play it, how 'it's like playing every thing backwards, in reverse'? Huh. Wonder why that is.

He made a dumb comment about how it's like moving from the back of the classroom to the front.

Potvin may be a hall-of-famer but he is pretty dimwitted and drunk half the time.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
Big Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Hoags wrote:Makes his NHL debut by playing his off-side. That'll be fun.

Carkner is in a similar position to Kuba last year, missed camp and part of the season and is now way behind.

In a situation like this, they'll probably just play Karlsson & Gonchar more, and have the other four guys partner up with them on a rotating basis. That's what they did when Kuba and then Phillips missed games -- more TOI to Cowen, with Cowen skating with Karlsson most of the time but also Lee/Carkner.

I think I remember SpezD saying, via Joy, that Boro plays both sides of the ice in Bingo, too.

Again, short term, no biggie.

Anyway, it will be good to get a look at him at this level!

Impossible.

No, just rare.

I know it's rare. You said so several times and pointed out the rare instances of elite D-Men that could do it.

I'm encouraged by the Boro-cop's obvious eliteness.

To be fair, they played Boro on the left side exclusively, to my absolute non-surprise.

Btw, ever notice how hall of famer Denis Potvin -- who, I confess, is a poor commentator, but was a great Dman -- makes a big deal out of every time he sees a D on his off side, and notes how hard it is to play it, how 'it's like playing every thing backwards, in reverse'? Huh. Wonder why that is.

He made a dumb comment about how it's like moving from the back of the classroom to the front.

Potvin may be a hall-of-famer but he is pretty dimwitted and drunk half the time.

You're not really trying to suggest that Potvin wasn't one of the best Dmen of all time, are you?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
I don't think you can make that conclusion from his comments.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
rooneypoo wrote:
Big Ev wrote:

You're not really trying to suggest that Potvin wasn't one of the best Dmen of all time, are you?

That's a stretch.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
Riprock wrote:I don't think you can make that conclusion from his comments.

Potivin may be a crappy commentator, but I'm pretty sure he knows a little something about how to play D. Laugh1

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
Am I really reading this stuff?

Potvin won 4 cups, 3 Norris trophies, scored 1052 points in 1060 regular season games and 164 points in 185 playoff games, and, as of the start of this season, is 10th in all-time scoring among D. All that in a rather short career (15 years).

If Potvin wasn't one of the best D of all time, who the hell was, and how do you measure them?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
But Evan didn't question his ability to play the game, just his ability to comment on a game.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
Riprock wrote:But Evan didn't question his ability to play the game, just his ability to comment on a game.

?

Tim just said, "That's a stretch" in response to my comment.

Anyway, no doubt, Potvin is not a good commentator, largely because he is not a good elocutionist, and nor is he good at keeping names straight. But he knows the game inside & out, and he certainly knows what goes into playing the position of D. So when he says, 'for a Dman to play his offside, it's like everything is backwards, in reverse,' yeah, I think he knows what he's talking about.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
I think I can clarify. Rooney you're confusing what Evan said. When he's talkking about the classroom comment by Potvin, its more about how utterly stupid his choice of words are....not that potvin is an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
rooneypoo wrote:
Riprock wrote:But Evan didn't question his ability to play the game, just his ability to comment on a game.

?

Tim just said, "That's a stretch" in response to my comment.

Allow me to clarify. I meant your interpretation of Ev's comments was a stretch.

Also, I hear "Potvin Sucks".

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
^ yup.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum