Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13620
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Boycott SunWing Airlines

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:47 pm

My experience with SunWing Airlines.

6AM flight delayed about 2 hours because of being short staffed.

Arrived in Cuba and my backpack to carry my son never made it there.

Leave the resort a week later at 4PM, arrive at the airport at 6PM for a 9PM scheduled flight. Flight delayed by 2.5 hours because of an onboard oven malfunction or so they say.

SunWing knew of the flight delay before we left the resort but still had us picked up at the resort at 4PM. We found out about the delay at 9:30PM.

SunWing rep wouldn't fork over the 40 bucks to upgrade us to the VIP room and offered us some water and juice. He was also very snarky and was smirking at us. He told us no other airline would give us anything for this delay despite us telling him of delays on both ends of our trip and a lost bag. He was very condescending and took a stance of not letting us get anything out of him rather than being helpful and trying to retain a customer. We told him we won't fly with SunWing again and he simply said fine.

We arrive in Ottawa at just past 3AM and our bags take an hour to get off the plane because they are again short staffed. 1 guy unloaded the entire plane when it's supposed to be 4.

BTW my backpack finally got delivered to me a day after I arrived home. It never left the airport and they made no effort to get it to me in Cuba because they had no scheduled flights going there during the week.

I will be informing RedTag.ca, where we purchased the vacation, I will be complaining to SunWing. It should also be noted that SunWing is likely facing financial penalties according to the Border service guard we talked to. He informed us that this is a common occurrence with SunWing.

I realize it's difficult to avoid SunWing if you go on cheap vacations but there are other options out there.

The SunWing rep acted as if it was one couple upset that he may or may not lose as a customer. Here's hoping he's wrong. Off to FaceBook, Twitter and beyond.

Smile

P.S The vacation itself was quite nice and I enjoyed the fun in the sun.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54591

Re: Boycott SunWing Airlines

Post by PTFlea on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:00 pm

Don't waste your time on Twitter and Facebook etc. - I mean do it if you wish, but get to the heart of the matter. Contact the SunWing head office by sending them an e-mail with all the details you've outlined here. Your response should arrive very quickly I would imagine - and while you won't get any $$ out of it, they will likely be quite apologetic. Make sure you name this guy by name if you can - or provide them with as many details as possible so they can reprimand him.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:07 pm

Done already. I'll be calling them as well.
    Number Twenty Nine
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1680
    Favorite Team : Dallas
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

Post by Number Twenty Nine on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:12 pm

I don't work for Sunwing, but I work in the industry. I really can appreciate what you've gone through - it's no fun being delayed.

Most people don't realize when they book these vacations that these are charter airlines. They have no set take/off and landing schedule like Air Canada for example. The plane leaves when it leaves, but usually around the booked departure time.

In the big picture, aren't you happier they took the time and fixed what was wrong. I can tell you that faulty galley equipment can be a major safety concern - especially an oven. You don't want that puppy catching on fire while you're airborne right?

I'm sure the rep could have handled things better - but in most cases, these reps are contracted 3rd party services - likely like the baggage handling company in Ottawa as well. By all means let them know that their service provider(s) didn't meet your expectations. I can tell you that airlines don't like to take these delays because it costs them big money. Charter flying is very competitive so they like to keep their costs down so they can meet their customer's price expectations.

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:13 pm

First Tim Thomas boycotts the white house visit, then Ovechkin boycotts the All-Star Game.....and now THIS!
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54591

Post by PTFlea on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Michallica wrote:First Tim Thomas boycotts the white house visit, then Ovechkin boycotts the All-Star Game.....and now THIS!

Laugh1
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:10 pm

Michallica wrote:First Tim Thomas boycotts the white house visit, then Ovechkin boycotts the All-Star Game.....and now THIS!

These things happen in 3s.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13257
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:27 pm

I used to fly a lot, and let
    me tell you this is very minor. I can't remember the last time I had a flight that wasn't delayed. I've had delayed flights that were late by 6 hours. Coming back from Asia this summer they changed the date on us( one day later) and no one ever bothered to contact us. When my bags were transferred they USA they went thru them and left a border tag and gifts we had brought back for friends and kids were missing.
    I took air transat to Paris and before boarding they made us change planes, once in the air they announced we had to turn around because the wheels weren't retracting inside of the plane. Once back at the airport they made us board the plane that was supposed to be faulty.

Moral of this story, don't take charters, avoid having to land in American soil and their cheapskate airlines (yes American air lines are the worst and cheapest to their customers).

If anything fly with major european carriers or from the middle east or large Asian carriers(like Singapore or JAL).
    It's hell in the skies!!?
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:32 pm

I realize these are concerns you have to deal with when flying charter flights it's the way they handled it and the fact that SunWing appears to be the worst in the industry in this regard is why I felt the need to post this. Nothing changes if you don't let them know. If it improves their service then it's a win win right?
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48197
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:04 pm

We took a trip to the Riviera Maya last March break using SunWing vacation. SunWing owns their own airplanes (although they certainly may charter if they don't have the capacity, or they could even charter their planes out to another carrier if they have too much capacity).

Was this a SunWing Vacation or just a SunWing plane?

In our case I couldn't be happier with SunWing. We ended up taking a direct flight from Ottawa to Cancun -- something you will rarely find with the bigger airlines; they served us a nice meal/drinks, they didn't charge us for the headphones like others do (although they did ask us to bring them back on the return trip (so as not to waste).

Sorry your experience was bad, but ours was quite the opposite. Nothing was lost, loading/unloading was prompt, no major delays (I think 20 minutes on leaving and we actually arrived back in Ottawa a bit ahead of schedule).

asq2
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7179
    Favorite Team : Detroit

Post by asq2 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:05 pm

dominoes
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:41 pm

wprager wrote:We took a trip to the Riviera Maya last March break using SunWing vacation. SunWing owns their own airplanes (although they certainly may charter if they don't have the capacity, or they could even charter their planes out to another carrier if they have too much capacity).

Was this a SunWing Vacation or just a SunWing plane?

In our case I couldn't be happier with SunWing. We ended up taking a direct flight from Ottawa to Cancun -- something you will rarely find with the bigger airlines; they served us a nice meal/drinks, they didn't charge us for the headphones like others do (although they did ask us to bring them back on the return trip (so as not to waste).

Sorry your experience was bad, but ours was quite the opposite. Nothing was lost, loading/unloading was prompt, no major delays (I think 20 minutes on leaving and we actually arrived back in Ottawa a bit ahead of schedule).

it was a Signature vacation but they are owned by SunWing. I'm more upset about the treatment we received than I am about the delays and the lost bag. SunWing makes Billions of dollars a year so I'm sure there are more smooth rides than there are bad ones but they should know when these things happen or things won't change.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:43 pm

asq2 wrote:

dominoes

One might argue Swirlominoes perhaps? Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Post by Riprock on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:18 pm

I'll be going to Cancun Mayan Riviera in March for my bro's wedding, hope there's no problems.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13257
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:37 pm

there can always be montezuma's revenge! Ahhhhh!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:02 pm