BlackBerry Bold - new user's thread (old geezers with advice welcomed)

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: BlackBerry Bold - new user's thread (old geezers with advice welcomed)

Post by shabbs on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:47 pm

Yeah, that is odd. Carriers have had the phone for quite some time. Not sure why such a delay. US customers are pissed. This add may actually make them more angry! Hopefully they inundate the carriers with calls.

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:50 pm

Apple probably paid those bunghole I wouldn't be surprised. Are we supposed to believe it is a coincidence ALL the american carriers are late on this?

f USA

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Americans are conditioned for iphones. It's not even funny.

I like the z10. The keyboard feels surprisingly good but it's not as simple to use as other phones (learning curve). Ultimately blackberry fans will be stoked for the upgrade but I can't see apple or android users jumping ship. In fact no one should have expected that at all, this is the first generation of the new os, it can't leap over everyone at once.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by Hoff-Machine on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:59 pm

LeKing wrote:Apple probably paid those bunghole I wouldn't be surprised. Are we supposed to believe it is a coincidence ALL the american carriers are late on this?

f USA

Apple has them all in their back pocket. I can tell you that first hand (see Verizon bending over a barrel to sell iphone 5 despite its inability to do cdma voice + data....this is a hard requirement on all other Verizon phones)

First sign of z10 taking away apple sales and they will definitely file a lawsuit against blackberry.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Post by shabbs on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:04 pm

Michallica wrote:Americans are conditioned for iphones. It's not even funny.

I like the z10. The keyboard feels surprisingly good but it's not as simple to use as other phones (learning curve). Ultimately blackberry fans will be stoked for the upgrade but I can't see apple or android users jumping ship. In fact no one should have expected that at all, this is the first generation of the new os, it can't leap over everyone at once.
    A few things concern me with the Z10 and the new BB10 OS. It seems the notification controls have been really trimmed down for alerts and sound profiles. This is a big surprise and I rely heavily on those customizations. No more BIS, so email is all via ActiveSync or direct pull from your phone. Gonna miss the reliability of BIS but I do understand why this was necessary. Now the BB is just like all the other smart phones in that respect for email and web browsing. BBM related stuff still goes via the NOC. This limit of 8 apps and the closing of older apps after opening a 9th app is a bit confusing and seems to happen with no notification. I'll need to see how this behaves when I get my phone. Hopefully it's not a real issue.

But the biggest issue for me is no USB sync for local Oulook install. This is a HUGE issue. BB Link does not support this at this time. I need to keep my Calendar, Contacts, Notes and Tasks up to date between my BB and my laptop. I hope this is coming soon.

Will be interesting.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by LeCaptain on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:07 pm

They don't need people to jump ship at the moment, they just need to re-establish brand recognition.
    Even if the phone is not out until March, Superbowl ad + Alicia Keys is a very good start and way better than they've ever done Marketing wise.
    Once the Z10 and Q10 get enough sales, the apps (INstagram, Flipboard etc) will start to come, and Mr Lambda will start to get interest, and they will realize the Operating system is actually pretty good compared to iOS and Android.
    Hopefully the Z10 will sell enough to keep them alive until then...
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:10 pm

shabbs wrote:

A few things concern me with the Z10 and the new BB10 OS. It seems the notification controls have been really trimmed down for alerts and sound profiles. This is a big surprise and I rely heavily on those customizations. No more BIS, so email is all via ActiveSync or direct pull from your phone. Gonna miss the reliability of BIS but I do understand why this was necessary. Now the BB is just like all the other smart phones in that respect for email and web browsing. BBM related stuff still goes via the NOC. This limit of 8 apps and the closing of older apps after opening a 9th app is a bit confusing and seems to happen with no notification. I'll need to see how this behaves when I get my phone. Hopefully it's not a real issue.

But the biggest issue for me is no USB sync for local Oulook install. This is a HUGE issue. BB Link does not support this at this time. I need to keep my Calendar, Contacts, Notes and Tasks up to date between my BB and my laptop. I hope this is coming soon.

Will be interesting.

Yeah it's not perfect for sure and there will be alot of complaints. From my experience its been all wireless syncing and activation of the balance and for the most part has been effective. Link is one thing I hope they start concentrating on more it feels like a tool mainly for media syncing and backup/restore. I get notifications for all messages but things like weather updates or score alerts aren't as polished as old bb7. Thankfully software upgrades will improve this but yes there is no notifications bar like before. It's all in the homescreen icons
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:18 pm

Should also say that notifications will be primarily seen using the blackberry hub
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Michallica wrote:Should also say that notifications will be primarily seen using the blackberry hub
    I mean more along the lines of distinct notifications and alerts for email, text, phone, missed calls etc... for various contacts and email accounts as well as apps like BBM, twitter, ScoreMobile etc.... I have 8 email accounts pouring into my 9900 right now with a lot of contacts i interact with. I make heavy use of custom led colours/patterns and ring tones/volumes to differentiate between the various sources. This means I can tell exactly what's waiting simply by looking at the LED or hearing the chirp. Don't even have to pick up the phone. Custom sound profiles for work/home/travelling/overnight/bedside mode etc... are also very handy.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:20 pm

shabbs wrote:
    Michallica wrote:Should also say that notifications will be primarily seen using the blackberry hub
    I mean more along the lines of distinct notifications and alerts for email, text, phone, missed calls etc... for various contacts and email accounts as well as apps like BBM, twitter, ScoreMobile etc.... I have 8 email accounts pouring into my 9900 right now with a lot of contacts i interact with. I make heavy use of custom led colours/patterns and ring tones/volumes to differentiate between the various sources. This means I can tell exactly what's waiting simply by looking at the LED or hearing the chirp. Don't even have to pick up the phone. Custom sound profiles for work/home/travelling/overnight/bedside mode etc... are also very handy.

The basics that you mentioned are there but the depth isn't. For example you can still do the special ring tones for certain applications/contacts but something like volume level or LED patterns isn't there yet. It'll come I imagine, this is the starting framework that needs to be out in the market.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:46 pm

Yeah. I was wicked pissed to hear all that the other day and was seriously considering cancelling my Z10 order after hearing BlackBerry Link doesn't support USB sycn'ing with Outlook. I've since calmed down with the belief that it will all come eventually. I certainly hope it does.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:53 pm

shabbs wrote:Yeah. I was wicked pissed to hear all that the other day and was seriously considering cancelling my Z10 order after hearing BlackBerry Link doesn't support USB sycn'ing with Outlook. I've since calmed down with the belief that it will all come eventually. I certainly hope it does.

Comfort

Keep the faith!
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Michallica wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Yeah. I was wicked pissed to hear all that the other day and was seriously considering cancelling my Z10 order after hearing BlackBerry Link doesn't support USB sycn'ing with Outlook. I've since calmed down with the belief that it will all come eventually. I certainly hope it does.

Comfort

Keep the faith!
    I'm trying. Need to get this puppy in my hands... tomorrow... soon... soon...
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:45 am

Z10 DAY!!!!!
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by LeCaptain on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:03 am

Shares are skyrocketing

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:15 pm

fack I shoulda bought when it was at $6....
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by LeCaptain on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:19 pm

I did when it was 7 and I told everyone I knew to do so. Nobody listened. I feel bad...NOT
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20939
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Anyone know where I can buy a Micro Sim adapter in the city?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:35 pm