General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48305
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by wprager on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:34 pm

shabbs wrote:Malkin is gonna rape the Leafs tonight. Book it.

Time's running out. He is -1 with 2 shots, both in the first half of the first period.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by shabbs on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:34 pm

wprager wrote:

Time's running out. He is -1 with 2 shots, both in the first half of the first period.
    Dupuis is doing the raping now.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:36 pm

Sabres beat the 'Canes in OT. 3-2 Final.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:45 pm

shabbs wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Dupuis is doing the raping now.

Indeed.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:36 pm

Cherrygate:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toronto/2012/03/07/19474476.html?cid=rsssportsslam!%20hockey

Dunno, maybe deserves its own thread.

Turns out part of what set Don Cherry off Saturday night to such emotion was that his old friend and Coach’s Corner partner Ron MacLean had been lumped in with him. The two became one in complaints from Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke to the CBC.

“I didn’t like it,” said Cherry of his 26-year Coach’s Corner partner being involved in Burke “going behind our backs to our bosses” to tell the CBC if they want the Maple Leafs as part of the new contract they “should get rid of Cherry and MacLean.”

Say it ain’t so.

For his part MacLean confirmed that Burke did indeed go to their superiors.

“I don’t think it was as much to get us fired as much as he wanted to see us muzzled, which is ridiculous,” said MacLean.

To his credit, MacLean said, Burke telephoned him before he actually met with CBC Executive Director of Sports Properties Jeff Orridge, who like Burke is a Harvard educated lawyer, several days after the NHL all-star game weekend.

“He said I am feeling kind of lousy doing it this way without talking to you first,” MacLean said of the Burke call.

MacLean was offered a chance to meet with Burke before the meeting but declined — explaining to the Leafs president their job is not to present “all rainbows” in their broadcast.

“Brian feels that I egg Grapes on but in his call he was cordial,” MacLean said.

Cherry and Stephen Brunt were on Sportsnet 590 The Fan Tuesday with Bob McCown saying Burke also met with the league with similar concerns.

Said Brunt: “At the Board of Governors I guess what was implied was if you guys want to get this contract, if want to renew Hockey Night in Canada when it comes next year, you better get rid of this guy.”

Said Cherry: “That’s what I heard, too” with word being presented to the governor’s “don’t forget we are going to be guys in charge here and this guy’s a loose cannon.”

Burke in an e-mail did not respond to questions about this. In an earlier e-mail Burke told me he liked both MacLean and Cherry but had complained about their weekly “vicious” attacks on his coach and team “quietly and professionally” and that “they leaked it.”

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:53 am

They gotta fire Burke. He's just losing it.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:11 am

spader wrote:They gotta fire Burke. He's just losing it.

The fact that he was allowed to hire a new coach makes me think he has another life. At the time of the Ron Wilson firing they were, for all intents and purposes, eliminated. They would have had to go on an incredible run just to get to 92 points, and with this year's Atlantic Division I don't think 92 will be even enough (except for the 3rd seed, of course). He stood pat with that lineup and made no changes that affected the roster. Yet somehow he escaped the chopping block. I don't get it. Much like Gauthier in Montreal -- I just don't get it.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16501
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:30 pm

Virtually every team competing for 8th in the east is playing tonight. Should be a fine night of action, and the standings could look quite different tomorrow!
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54632
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:44 pm

Yeah, it'll happen in the summer - I'm 99% sure (no Neely, I don't want to bet).
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:56 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:

Yeah, it'll happen in the summer - I'm 99% sure (no Neely, I don't want to bet).

But why let him hire the new coach?

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:29 pm

I give Burke one more year. No playoffs next season... then gone.
    22_4_ever
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 531
    Registration date : 2011-01-19

Post by 22_4_ever on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:33 pm

wprager wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:

But why let him hire the new coach?

More than that...why let him fire the coach.

If management is thinking of kicking Burke out, it makes no sense why you allow him to make any team based decisions. No Burke is here to stay for at least one more year, but if the Playoffs are not reality this time next year, I don't see how they can keep him.

Then again this is Toronto. They think they are smarter than everyone else, and for us why care. The longer that circus is in town the better it is for us.

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Post by Riprock on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:27 pm

There are rumours that Alex Radulov could be heading back to the Predators this season and would be eligible to play in regular and post-season and would not have to clear waivers.

That would be a huge offensive boost to the Preds, hopefully wouldn't hurt chemistry too much. Nashville's got some good leaders in there that should be able to keep Radulov in check.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:34 pm

The Radulov thing needs NHLPA approval. That would be nice for the Preds if he can contribute.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Post by Riprock on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:35 pm

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46672007

Columbus Blue Jackets will allow fans who purchased a Blue Jackets' Jeff Carter #7 Jersey to bring their jerseys to tonight's game and either get Jack Johnson heat pressed over the current name plate, or send it off to get sewn on... for FREE!

Awesome PR move by the Jackets. Wish all teams did that, like Sens with fans with Heatley and Rundblad jerseys.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:19 pm