Prager's Brackets 2012

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 12]

1 Prager's Brackets 2012 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:41 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
It's that time again. The brackets are almost set. Last year the co-winners were ... let me check my notes ... oh, yeah, it was Clutch and I; honorable mention (a.k.a. third) went to Flo. The 2010 winner, Bramlet07, plummeted all the way to 13th. Who will win this year? Who will wear the goat horns?

Anyhow, on to the rules. Same as last year.

1. Every round, for each series, you pick a winner and the number of games. You don't have to pick all the rounds at once.
2. You start off with 4 points just because. You then get 2 points for each correct outcome (winner) you picked in round one, plus a bonus point if you not only picked the winner, but also the correct number of games.
3. Each round the points double, so in round 2 you get 4 points for predicting the winner and 2 bonus points if you also picked the number of games.
4. Picks are due by puck-drop of the earliest game in each round. If you do not get your picks in on time I will pick the home team in 7 on your behalf.

So each round carries a possible 24 points, and the four rounds plus the gimme points (I used to call them "ante up" when I ran it as a money pool -- you got 4 points when you paid in) add up to a possible 100 points.

The beauty of this set us is that nobody gets eliminated early on (like I did that one and only time I played a March Madness pool and my two picks for the Finals were done in the first two rounds). It also makes for some interesting "Hail Mary" picks in the later rounds.

I'll be sending out a mass invite shortly.

Here is the link to the spreadsheet that will, eventually have everyone's picks:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/955066/2012_PlayOffs_Pool.xls

Here are last year's results: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/955066/2011_PlayOffs_Pool.xls

2 Re: Prager's Brackets 2012 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:46 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
P.S. It would be awesome if we could have someone to collect everyone's picks who is not in the pool. It's not much of an issue in the first couple of rounds, but in the last couple knowing what others are picking can be advantageous. I wouldn't want any one complaining of shenanigans when I win again this year Smile

3 Re: Prager's Brackets 2012 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:02 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
I have an idea. Can we eliminate the "if you don't get your picks in, you get the home team in 7" rule? It really skewed the results and people were getting all kinds of points when they didn't make picks at all.

4 Re: Prager's Brackets 2012 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:33 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
spader wrote:I have an idea. Can we eliminate the "if you don't get your picks in, you get the home team in 7" rule? It really skewed the results and people were getting all kinds of points when they didn't make picks at all.
Agreed. No picks in time = no picks.

5 Re: Prager's Brackets 2012 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:39 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
I'm in. When are the brackets finalized?

6 Re: Prager's Brackets 2012 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:59 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Riprock wrote:I'm in. When are the brackets finalized?

Tomorrow.

7 Re: Prager's Brackets 2012 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:01 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
shabbs wrote:
spader wrote:I have an idea. Can we eliminate the "if you don't get your picks in, you get the home team in 7" rule? It really skewed the results and people were getting all kinds of points when they didn't make picks at all.
Agreed. No picks in time = no picks.
Cheers

8 Re: Prager's Brackets 2012 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:31 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran
I finished last in 2011? Impressive. PM me if you want some help with your picks.

9 Re: Prager's Brackets 2012 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:34 pm

DirtyDave

Rookie
Rookie
Will SSF be part of this?!

10 Re: Prager's Brackets 2012 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:42 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wprager wrote:P.S. It would be awesome if we could have someone to collect everyone's picks who is not in the pool. It's not much of an issue in the first couple of rounds, but in the last couple knowing what others are picking can be advantageous. I wouldn't want any one complaining of shenanigans when I win again this year Smile
Best way around that is for us to hold off sending you our picks until you've made yours.

11 Re: Prager's Brackets 2012 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:30 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I won this last year didn't I?

12 Re: Prager's Brackets 2012 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:38 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Look forward to it.

13 Re: Prager's Brackets 2012 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:38 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I won this last year didn't I?

You co-won Smile

14 Re: Prager's Brackets 2012 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:21 am

DirtyDave

Rookie
Rookie
I'm really hoping Buffalo goes far

15 Re: Prager's Brackets 2012 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:23 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
DirtDiddler wrote:I'm really hoping Buffalo goes far