Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 45204
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by wprager on Tue May 15, 2012 9:09 pm

I can't believe I go away for a few hours and half of you are asking for Semin. Don't make me post that slap-fight again!

And for those of you saying we need Alfie's leadership and his production, remember that we did pretty well with him out of the lineup this season And in the playoff, in fact, we lost the last two games *after* Alfie returned to the lineup (and won 2 of 3 without him).

I'm not discounting what Alfie means to the team, but this is no-longer 2007, and Alfie is not as important to this team as he used to be. Assuming he still plays next season we'll be able to see how Silfverberg develops. If he doesn't, we can look at filling Alfie's void with a free agent or a trade next summer.

rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7413
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Tue May 15, 2012 9:11 pm

NEELY wrote:I thought Karlsson was the best player on the ice with Turris most nights. He did exactly what the coach asked him to do, moved the puck, and made good decisions. On top of all that he was pretty physical and IMO handled himself better than most expected.

I think Karlsson is a natural leader and IMO, he's the guy that will be the guy hoisting the cup at some point.

And I thought he looked frustrated a lot of the time. That, and the PP was ineffective, and he just wasn't putting up the points.

He's young, I know, so I'm not blaming him -- nor should a 21 year old be expecting to carry the team's offense -- but what I'm saying is that OTT badly needs an injection of playoff leadership and playoff performance right now, because that's where we're clearly lacking. That lack is only going to become more apparent once Alfie retires, which will either be this year or next. I don't think OTT has the luxury of waiting on this one.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Tue May 15, 2012 9:33 pm

One GM on Semin: "You can paint over a players spots, but eventually its going to rain and the paint will disappear," one GM said. "Look, maybe if youre a team that needs goals just to get to the playoffs youd be interested in him. The other thing is, hes not a kid. Hes 28. What you see is pretty much what youll get. I doubt very much anybody is going to be able to change him at this point in his career."

Heh.

Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/05/15/washington_capitals_alexander_semin_unrestricted_free_agent/

rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7413
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Tue May 15, 2012 9:35 pm

shabbs wrote:One GM on Semin: "You can paint over a players spots, but eventually its going to rain and the paint will disappear," one GM said. "Look, maybe if youre a team that needs goals just to get to the playoffs youd be interested in him. The other thing is, hes not a kid. Hes 28. What you see is pretty much what youll get. I doubt very much anybody is going to be able to change him at this point in his career."

Heh.

Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/05/15/washington_capitals_alexander_semin_unrestricted_free_agent/

Exactly. Semin makes sense for a team desperate to make the playoffs, not one that is already likely to compete every year for a playoff spot. Semin will end up in a hole like CLB, if not the KHL.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20358
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 9:53 pm

. Look at the Rangers. Yeah Gaborik isn't doing much in the playoffs but his goals are probably a huge reason they are where they are. That could mean the difference between 1st and 5th, 6th, 7th, etc. I would take Semin just for that. These playoffs shouldn't change the opinion that we need skill in the lineup.

I don't even get the above quote. Why do you need to change him? He is what he is and that is something every team needs. I like the fact that his agent says he wants to kill penalties and play in an increased role.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 9:55 pm

also 28 years old? That's not old...what is this GM going on about? Some players DO change their game and improve immensely even past 30.

I'm not arguing that he will, but that's not why I think he would make a good fit. Semin torches the Sens. I'd like to have a guy like that on our side for once.

That GM is probably McPhee lol

Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Tue May 15, 2012 10:11 pm

Gaborik doesn't have any questions on his character that I ever heard of.

You don't win with players like Semin, might as well get Radulov or A. Kostitsyn.

We finally got rid of or reformed all the party animals/drug abusers and now we're going to play $6.5M minimum for another one ????

There's a certain team identity they are (hopefully) trying to build here, one that players like Semin don't belong in.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Hoags wrote:Gaborik doesn't have any questions on his character that I ever heard of.

You don't win with players like Semin, might as well get Radulov or A. Kostitsyn.

We finally got rid of or reformed all the party animals/drug abusers and now we're going to play $6.5M minimum for another one ????

There's a certain team identity they are (hopefully) trying to build here, one that players like Semin don't belong in.

So there's a picture of Semin with some girls? Ok? And that shows he's a drug abuser? What the Diddle am I reading? Facepalm Just because there's a picture of one guy like that, doesn't mean other guys who aren't caught on camera aren't out doing the same thing. What, you think the Sens are all saints? Don't be naive and generalize based on a photo. :face palm: And you're basically saying he's the same thing as Radulov because of his nationality, and you're assuming that it is before a game or something, which is laziness on your own part and basically an opinion based on nothing at all. I know for a fact that guys like Carkner and Smith etc. are always at bars and other places. You gonna say they are "party animals" who "lack character"?

and yeah Gaborik is known as being a lazy, playoff underachiever as well. Semin actually played fine defensively and stuff like that in the Rangers series.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 10:27 pm

Go look at a guy like Patrick Kane and Brad Marchand. Pretty much the same type of guys who act like idiots in public from time to time. I guess you don't win with those guys though....oh wait, yes you do, they have a Cup each. You don't need a team full of Ryan Callahans to win in the playoffs.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 10:30 pm

oh Dung, here's Kyle Turris playing beer pong.

SHIP HIM OFF NOW. Can't win with him. Can't do it.

sens4win
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1498
    Registration date : 2010-01-03

Post by sens4win on Tue May 15, 2012 10:30 pm

Big Ev wrote:oh Dung, here's Kyle Turris playing beer pong.

SHIP HIM OFF NOW. Can't win with him. Can't do it.
    I was looking for a picture as well Dammit!

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 53211
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Tue May 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Marchand is a different kind of player and Kane is way more clutch. Hard to say...Semin would be interesting here, but I'm certainly nervous at the thought.

sens4win
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by sens4win on Tue May 15, 2012 10:36 pm

Honestly I don't know why anyone would pass up an opportunity to land Semin. His price is probably at all time low, now would be the time to get him.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Here's Lundqvist out on the town with a chick. GET RID OF HIM

Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Tue May 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Big Ev you need to switch to decaf

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 10:39 pm

lol. I'm just trying to make a point here. I'm very irritated by your post, just being honest.

I can understand why people wouldn't want Semin. A picture of him with some girls isn't a valid reason.

sens4win
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by sens4win on Tue May 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Big Ev wrote:lol. I'm just trying to make a point here. I'm very irritated by your post, just being honest.

I can understand why people wouldn't want Semin. A picture of him with some girls isn't a valid reason.
    Everyone is still afraid of Heatley 2.0

Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Tue May 15, 2012 10:46 pm

Big Ev wrote:lol. I'm just trying to make a point here. I'm very irritated by your post, just being honest.

I get that but I just don't think he would fit in here, we need a solid team identity and what we've built up here so far he's the exact opposite. Yes he's an excellent talent with arguably the best wrist shot in the NHL. Nothing to do with him being Russian etc. The picture was an attempt at questioning his character, you could have rebutted with pictures of Seguin, Marchand or Kane but at least they've won a Cup and yet most fans still think they are douchebags.

Capitals had to file a complaint against to get him to honor his contract and come to the NHL for crying out loud.

And no he will not come "cheap", not with free agency being weak this year (again) and not with Mark Gandler being his agent.

Someone will throw an assload of money at him and I'm sure it won't be the Gene. He will also be a whipping boy here by the fans and by the Sun just like Kovalev was. It'll quickly become a distraction.

sens4win wrote:
    Everyone is still afraid of Heatley 2.0

That's kind of what I am getting at as well, we were a TEAM this year, played like a team, won/lost as a team. I do not want to upset things bringing in a (potentially) poisonous apple like Semin.

They better be REAL careful who they bring into that room.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:34 am

Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:34 am