Poll

Who wins the cup first?

78% 78% [ 14 ]
22% 22% [ 4 ]

Total Votes : 18

Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Page 15 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ottawa Senators TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by wprager on Tue May 15, 2012 9:09 pm

I can't believe I go away for a few hours and half of you are asking for Semin. Don't make me post that slap-fight again!

And for those of you saying we need Alfie's leadership and his production, remember that we did pretty well with him out of the lineup this season And in the playoff, in fact, we lost the last two games *after* Alfie returned to the lineup (and won 2 of 3 without him).

I'm not discounting what Alfie means to the team, but this is no-longer 2007, and Alfie is not as important to this team as he used to be. Assuming he still plays next season we'll be able to see how Silfverberg develops. If he doesn't, we can look at filling Alfie's void with a free agent or a trade next summer.

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts: 34961
Registration date: 2008-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by rooneypoo on Tue May 15, 2012 9:11 pm

NEELY wrote:I thought Karlsson was the best player on the ice with Turris most nights. He did exactly what the coach asked him to do, moved the puck, and made good decisions. On top of all that he was pretty physical and IMO handled himself better than most expected.

I think Karlsson is a natural leader and IMO, he's the guy that will be the guy hoisting the cup at some point.

And I thought he looked frustrated a lot of the time. That, and the PP was ineffective, and he just wasn't putting up the points.

He's young, I know, so I'm not blaming him -- nor should a 21 year old be expecting to carry the team's offense -- but what I'm saying is that OTT badly needs an injection of playoff leadership and playoff performance right now, because that's where we're clearly lacking. That lack is only going to become more apparent once Alfie retires, which will either be this year or next. I don't think OTT has the luxury of waiting on this one.

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Number of posts: 6786
Registration date: 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by shabbs on Tue May 15, 2012 9:33 pm

One GM on Semin: "You can paint over a player’s spots, but eventually it’s going to rain and the paint will disappear," one GM said. "Look, maybe if you’re a team that needs goals just to get to the playoffs you’d be interested in him. The other thing is, he’s not a kid. He’s 28. What you see is pretty much what you’ll get. I doubt very much anybody is going to be able to change him at this point in his career."

Heh.

Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/05/15/washington_capitals_alexander_semin_unrestricted_free_agent/

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number of posts: 30429
Registration date: 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by rooneypoo on Tue May 15, 2012 9:35 pm

shabbs wrote:One GM on Semin: "You can paint over a player’s spots, but eventually it’s going to rain and the paint will disappear," one GM said. "Look, maybe if you’re a team that needs goals just to get to the playoffs you’d be interested in him. The other thing is, he’s not a kid. He’s 28. What you see is pretty much what you’ll get. I doubt very much anybody is going to be able to change him at this point in his career."

Heh.

Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/05/15/washington_capitals_alexander_semin_unrestricted_free_agent/

Exactly. Semin makes sense for a team desperate to make the playoffs, not one that is already likely to compete every year for a playoff spot. Semin will end up in a hole like CLB, if not the KHL.

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Ottawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 9:53 pm

. Look at the Rangers. Yeah Gaborik isn't doing much in the playoffs but his goals are probably a huge reason they are where they are. That could mean the difference between 1st and 5th, 6th, 7th, etc. I would take Semin just for that. These playoffs shouldn't change the opinion that we need skill in the lineup.

I don't even get the above quote. Why do you need to change him? He is what he is and that is something every team needs. I like the fact that his agent says he wants to kill penalties and play in an increased role.

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Number of posts: 15973
Registration date: 2010-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 9:55 pm

also 28 years old? That's not old...what is this GM going on about? Some players DO change their game and improve immensely even past 30.

I'm not arguing that he will, but that's not why I think he would make a good fit. Semin torches the Sens. I'd like to have a guy like that on our side for once.

That GM is probably McPhee lol

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoags on Tue May 15, 2012 10:11 pm

Gaborik doesn't have any questions on his character that I ever heard of.

You don't win with players like Semin, might as well get Radulov or A. Kostitsyn.

We finally got rid of or reformed all the party animals/drug abusers and now we're going to play $6.5M minimum for another one ????

There's a certain team identity they are (hopefully) trying to build here, one that players like Semin don't belong in.

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Number of posts: 8919
Registration date: 2009-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Hoags wrote:Gaborik doesn't have any questions on his character that I ever heard of.

You don't win with players like Semin, might as well get Radulov or A. Kostitsyn.

We finally got rid of or reformed all the party animals/drug abusers and now we're going to play $6.5M minimum for another one ????

There's a certain team identity they are (hopefully) trying to build here, one that players like Semin don't belong in.

So there's a picture of Semin with some girls? Ok? And that shows he's a drug abuser? What the Diddle am I reading? Facepalm Just because there's a picture of one guy like that, doesn't mean other guys who aren't caught on camera aren't out doing the same thing. What, you think the Sens are all saints? Don't be naive and generalize based on a photo. :face palm: And you're basically saying he's the same thing as Radulov because of his nationality, and you're assuming that it is before a game or something, which is laziness on your own part and basically an opinion based on nothing at all. I know for a fact that guys like Carkner and Smith etc. are always at bars and other places. You gonna say they are "party animals" who "lack character"?

and yeah Gaborik is known as being a lazy, playoff underachiever as well. Semin actually played fine defensively and stuff like that in the Rangers series.

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 10:27 pm

Go look at a guy like Patrick Kane and Brad Marchand. Pretty much the same type of guys who act like idiots in public from time to time. I guess you don't win with those guys though....oh wait, yes you do, they have a Cup each. You don't need a team full of Ryan Callahans to win in the playoffs.

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 10:30 pm

oh Dung, here's Kyle Turris playing beer pong.

SHIP HIM OFF NOW. Can't win with him. Can't do it.

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Back to top Go down

Post by sens4win on Tue May 15, 2012 10:30 pm

Big Ev wrote:oh Dung, here's Kyle Turris playing beer pong.

SHIP HIM OFF NOW. Can't win with him. Can't do it.
I was looking for a picture as well Dammit!

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts: 1497
Registration date: 2010-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by SpezDispenser on Tue May 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Marchand is a different kind of player and Kane is way more clutch. Hard to say...Semin would be interesting here, but I'm certainly nervous at the thought.

SpezDispenser
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Number of posts: 46796
Registration date: 2008-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by sens4win on Tue May 15, 2012 10:36 pm

Honestly I don't know why anyone would pass up an opportunity to land Semin. His price is probably at all time low, now would be the time to get him.

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Here's Lundqvist out on the town with a chick. GET RID OF HIM

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoags on Tue May 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Big Ev you need to switch to decaf

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 10:39 pm

lol. I'm just trying to make a point here. I'm very irritated by your post, just being honest.

I can understand why people wouldn't want Semin. A picture of him with some girls isn't a valid reason.

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Back to top Go down

Post by sens4win on Tue May 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Big Ev wrote:lol. I'm just trying to make a point here. I'm very irritated by your post, just being honest.

I can understand why people wouldn't want Semin. A picture of him with some girls isn't a valid reason.
Everyone is still afraid of Heatley 2.0

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoags on Tue May 15, 2012 10:46 pm

Big Ev wrote:lol. I'm just trying to make a point here. I'm very irritated by your post, just being honest.

I get that but I just don't think he would fit in here, we need a solid team identity and what we've built up here so far he's the exact opposite. Yes he's an excellent talent with arguably the best wrist shot in the NHL. Nothing to do with him being Russian etc. The picture was an attempt at questioning his character, you could have rebutted with pictures of Seguin, Marchand or Kane but at least they've won a Cup and yet most fans still think they are douchebags.

Capitals had to file a complaint against to get him to honor his contract and come to the NHL for crying out loud.

And no he will not come "cheap", not with free agency being weak this year (again) and not with Mark Gandler being his agent.

Someone will throw an assload of money at him and I'm sure it won't be the Gene. He will also be a whipping boy here by the fans and by the Sun just like Kovalev was. It'll quickly become a distraction.

sens4win wrote:
Everyone is still afraid of Heatley 2.0

That's kind of what I am getting at as well, we were a TEAM this year, played like a team, won/lost as a team. I do not want to upset things bringing in a (potentially) poisonous apple like Semin.

They better be REAL careful who they bring into that room.

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 10:54 pm

I think the whole "room" stuff is way overblown sometimes. These are grown men, this is a job. They will play as a team whoever is there. The Flyers "room" issues were pretty overblown given the fact they went to the Final.

Players aren't stupid, they won't be poisoned by one guy coming into the dressing room. Especially a guy who doesn't speak English. Semin is soft spoken and is not a cancer or a poison, nothing like that all. I really don't know why that is even being discussed. There are no other Russian (young) players for him to mingle with on the team anyway besides Gonchar who is grounded.

Semin has no history of character problems. Maybe disappearing sometimes in the playoffs, sure, but nothing off-ice and nothing that other players will be affected by.

I guess people just assume all Russians are cancers these days.

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Back to top Go down

Post by SpezDispenser on Tue May 15, 2012 11:04 pm

I thought he was known as a slacker.

SpezDispenser
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 11:11 pm

sorry one last one

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Back to top Go down

Post by SpezDispenser on Tue May 15, 2012 11:16 pm

What a pimp.

SpezDispenser
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rooneypoo on Tue May 15, 2012 11:22 pm

Big Ev wrote:I think the whole "room" stuff is way overblown sometimes. These are grown men, this is a job. They will play as a team whoever is there. The Flyers "room" issues were pretty overblown given the fact they went to the Final.

Players aren't stupid, they won't be poisoned by one guy coming into the dressing room. Especially a guy who doesn't speak English. Semin is soft spoken and is not a cancer or a poison, nothing like that all. I really don't know why that is even being discussed. There are no other Russian (young) players for him to mingle with on the team anyway besides Gonchar who is grounded.

Semin has no history of character problems. Maybe disappearing sometimes in the playoffs, sure, but nothing off-ice and nothing that other players will be affected by.

Two reasons right there why I wouldn't touch this guy. OTT needs to import some leadership, character, and playoff performance in the top six, ASAP. Semin is none of those things. That's not to say that Semin is a bad player or wouldn't work well for another team, but he's not the right fit for this team right now. OTT will compete again for a playoff spot next year -- what they need to work on is being able to compete in the postseason.

Huge pass.

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 11:30 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I think the whole "room" stuff is way overblown sometimes. These are grown men, this is a job. They will play as a team whoever is there. The Flyers "room" issues were pretty overblown given the fact they went to the Final.

Two reasons right there why I wouldn't touch this guy. OTT needs to import some leadership, character, and playoff performance in the top six, ASAP. Semin is none of those things. That's not to say that Semin is a bad player or wouldn't work well for another team, but he's not the right fit for this team right now. OTT will compete again for a playoff spot next year -- what they need to work on is being able to compete in the postseason.

Huge pass.

Murray said they need a Top 6, 20-25 goal scoring winger. That's Semin. Murray wants the production. He didn't even talk about the playoffs. They are not a guarantee to make the playoffs again, every other team will do their part to get better. You need guys to get you to the dance. I think Murray would take any player who can put up 25-30 goals without giving up any assets in return. Just my take. Don't think they are too concerned with playoff performers at this point in their build.

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Ev on Tue May 15, 2012 11:32 pm

and yes that's Penner as well, who I wouldn't mind on Ottawa anymore

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Back to top Go down

Post by SpezDispenser on Wed May 16, 2012 12:04 am

I wouldn't be mad if we signed either guy. As mentioned, the Sens will be in tough to make the playoffs next year and Semin would help a lot.

SpezDispenser
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by shabbs on Wed May 16, 2012 7:45 am

Big Ev wrote:Here's Lundqvist out on the town with a chick. GET RID OF HIM
Heh heh. Nice one.

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Location: I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Back to top Go down

Post by shabbs on Wed May 16, 2012 8:21 am

We need a Penner/Semin hybrid combo... playoff Penner and regular season Semin.

Wink

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by rooneypoo on Wed May 16, 2012 8:22 am

shabbs wrote:We need a Penner/Semin hybrid combo... playoff Penner and regular season Semin.

Wink

What we need is Zach Parise, but it would appear that this deep playoff run is killing even that small fraction of a chance we might have had in signing him.

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Back to top Go down

Post by shabbs on Wed May 16, 2012 8:28 am

rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:We need a Penner/Semin hybrid combo... playoff Penner and regular season Semin.

Wink

What we need is Zach Parise, but it would appear that this deep playoff run is killing even that small fraction of a chance we might have had in signing him.
Yeah... we all know how good a fit Parise would be but the chance of landing him is very slim... hence the focus on other players...

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Wed May 16, 2012 11:02 am

Focus should be on the back-end this off-season. Lots of prospects/fringe 2nd/3rd line NHL players that can be moved to acquire a solid defenceman or two. Bring in one of Blood, Gryba, or Boro and fill the other need(s) via Free Agency: Garrison, Exelby -or- trade: Volchenkov, Ballard, Hamhuis.

Also not against trading Michalek. His salary is backloaded so paying more next season and the season after and his stats were inflated by empty net goals may not be the best decision. Could also see Foligno going if the price is right. Either or both would need to be swapped for forwards.

Blake Wheeler would be a great fit on this team.

DefenceWinsChampionships
Sophomore
Sophomore

Number of posts: 678
Registration date: 2011-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by sandysensfan on Wed May 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Hockey players are people just like the rest of us... except their high profile jobs and high salaries.

So they go to the bars to have fun.. why not?

As for Semin... I don't know if he can even speak English or didn't bother to learn. If Murray is looking his way... he will have Gonchar to mentor him... like Gonchar did with Malkin.

But they need help on defense. I don't think Kuba is back. Sens are re-building and I think they follow that path with either a prospect like Borowiecki or via UFA for a player under 30.

I was thinking of Volchy as well.. guy can hit, he blocks shots.. but he can't move the puck very well. Watch the game tonight and make note... Would he fit into McLean's system?

sandysensfan
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts: 3185
Registration date: 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NEELY on Wed May 16, 2012 3:31 pm

sandysensfan wrote:Hockey players are people just like the rest of us... except their high profile jobs and high salaries.

As for Semin... I don't know if he can even speak English or didn't bother to learn. If Murray is looking his way... he will have Gonchar to mentor him... like Gonchar did with Malkin.

But they need help on defense. I don't think Kuba is back. Sens are re-building and I think they follow that path with either a prospect like Borowiecki or via UFA for a player under 30.

I was thinking of Volchy as well.. guy can hit, he blocks shots.. but he can't move the puck very well. Watch the game tonight and make note... Would he fit into McLean's system?

Haha he's going to mentor a 29 year old adult? lol.

NEELY
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Number of posts: 17247
Registration date: 2011-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Wed May 16, 2012 3:56 pm

No. Volchie doesn't fit the system but neither does Carkner. I think Volch's salary is too high to justify bringing in someone who goes against the concept of a rebuild, but he was a hometown hero that can contribue in the defensive zone.

What about Sheldon Souray? I know he's not a young player but he can probably be signed for pretty cheap and can be a stop-gap until one of our prospects are ready. I'd look at St. Louis, Nashville, and Vancouver as potential trade partners. Colorado has some interesting defensive players as well. Oduya is also a UFA I wouldn't mind signing.

DefenceWinsChampionships
Sophomore
Sophomore

Number of posts: 678
Registration date: 2011-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by sandysensfan on Wed May 16, 2012 4:46 pm

NEELY wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:Hockey players are people just like the rest of us... except their high profile jobs and high salaries.

If Semin can't speak English -- Gonchar is a help there... He is the only Russian on the team...

sandysensfan
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts: 3185
Registration date: 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ev on Wed May 16, 2012 5:13 pm

sandysensfan wrote:
NEELY wrote:

If Semin can't speak English -- Gonchar is a help there... He is the only Russian on the team...

Having another Russian on the team is irrelevant. He's not going to learn English fluently or do English interviews.

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Riprock on Wed May 16, 2012 7:16 pm

Random trivial factoid that I am looking up. Trying to find the player in the Sens organization that is the first player born after the Senators modern-day franchise played their first game (Oct. 8, 1992).

So far the winner is Jean-Gabriel Pageau, born No. 11, 1992.

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Number of posts: 11867
Registration date: 2008-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by shabbs on Wed May 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Let's recap...

I think what sandysensfan was getting at was having another Russian would help with the transition. This was something that was mentioned when Kovalev joined the Sens. Not sure if it was a factor at all, we're not in the room. So who knows. It's a logical conclusion.

Neely is suggesting Semin is too old to be mentored. Maybe, maybe not... 28 is neither young nor old... so who knows.

Big Ev is saying it don't matter no nothing.

Wink

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoags on Wed May 16, 2012 8:01 pm

Jason Garrison told Vancouver radio he'd be interested in playing for the Canucks if he can't resign with Florida. He's from the Vancouver area, no surprise.

So I guess our best chance on July 1st is PA Parenteau since he's from Hull ? Laugh1

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Back to top Go down

Post by shabbs on Thu May 17, 2012 7:50 am

BooBoo gets in on the FA Sens Frenzy... Top 5 FAs he thinks the Sens should target:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/05/16/top-5-free-agents-for-sens-to-target

1. Zach Parise, C, New Jersey Devils
2. Chris Kelly, C, Boston Bruins
3. Bryan Allen, D, Carolina Hurricanes
4. David Jones, RW, Colorado Avalanche
5. Jiri Hudler, C, Detroit Red Wings

Discuss...

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by tim1_2 on Thu May 17, 2012 7:51 am

Garrison will follow the money. He'll likely get overpaid based on the season he just had, but I'd still like to see him in a Sens uni.

tim1_2
All-Star
All-Star

Number of posts: 9292
Registration date: 2011-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Flo The Action on Thu May 17, 2012 8:12 am

also from BooBoo, 2 days ago he tweeted this.
There have been no talks between the Senators and Matt Carkner. He will be a UFA on July 1. #Sens

is he speculating since there hasn't been any talks our does he really know anything about the issue.

Flo The Action
All-Star
All-Star

Number of posts: 7021
Registration date: 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by shabbs on Thu May 17, 2012 8:17 am

Flo The Action wrote:also from BooBoo, 2 days ago he tweeted this.
There have been no talks between the Senators and Matt Carkner. He will be a UFA on July 1. #Sens

is he speculating since there hasn't been any talks our does he really know anything about the issue.
Probably speculating... I saw the tweet as well and I think he cleared it up later saying he's "scheduled" to be a UFA...

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top