PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54245
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: (1) New York Rangers vs (8) Ottawa Senators - Playoffs Round 1

Post by PTFlea on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 pm

wprager wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:Don't know if we can survive without getting a top line winger.

Love this team though, beautiful effort. Next year should be exciting.

Silfverberg showed some Alfieness on that one shift.

Stone needs to work on his skating but he's got size, soft hands and quick shot. He's the classic power forward that we *almost* had with Heatley (he had size but let his shot do all the work and rarely his feet). Noesen, too. Future's so bright I have to wear shades Smile

Future's great in terms of Stone, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Noesen - the 4 of which I'm convinced will have an impact soon on this team, some of them even as soon as next year. That said, I'd rather leave Stone or Z-Bad in the AHL all year, get a top line F somewhere and replace Alfie with Stone/Zibanejad year after next. Not sure where this top line F comes from though - everyone wants one.

We saw this series that while we have a top 4 that's pretty much as good as anyones in Spezza, Alfie, Michalek, Turris, we could sure use a top line LW for Spezza who clearly can't fight through that kind of checking and for Turris who's just starting to look like he could bring some consistency to the table in the 2C slot next year. One of those will be Silfverberg, who will the other be?...

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12926
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:09 pm

NEELY wrote:
    Riprock wrote:Adding Parise is the only thing they can really should do. I'm not sure I'd even want a plan b - I'd just go with the same team.

Penner is plan B for sure.

They should seriously offer Parise a 10 years, 70 million dollar deal. The guy is one of the best in the world.

oh please, that can't be plan B? shouldn't that be plan D, E or F?

W need a stronger top 6 next year but can we get a guy that has not had problems with his last 2 teams?

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:09 pm

PS, for 9 minutes, Silfverberg was a very strong player tonight. Bodes well for next year. That's in a Game 7 to boot, he'll have a nice summer now where he can prepare and a nice rookie tourney and a pre-season to get ready. He'll be a lot of fun to watch IMO.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20773
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:19 pm

I can't believe how big Lundqvist looks in the net. Illegal equipment or what? Anderson looks so much skinnier.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20773
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:44 pm

i'm surprised I'm not reading anybody blaming Gilroy for the loss
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12926
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:01 am

wow Elliotte Friedman tweeted that Alfie walked off the team bus to shake hands with some sens fans. wow, what a captain and a superb human being.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10038
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:25 am

I'm happy with the Sens season. That was a hard-fought series.

Clapping
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:18 am

Still stings this morning. We were THAT close. The Rangers basically played their "style" to perfection, and didn't really give us a whiff. We made a couple defensive mistakes, and they wound up in our net. That was pretty much the difference in the series...we had to battle for every goal, whereas they were gifted a couple. I guess that's what happens to a young team in the playoffs. Can't say enough about this Ottawa team though - it really does bode well for the future.

Seemed like the biggest thing we were missing was another scoring winger or two. And these are things we have in the system.

Very proud of this team. I really hope The Alfie sticks around for one more season, but if I had to place a bet, I'd say he's going to retire (mainly because of the concussion problems).

Vandelay
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 769
    Registration date : 2008-11-07

Post by Vandelay on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:11 am

tim1_2 wrote:Still stings this morning. We were THAT close. The Rangers basically played their "style" to perfection, and didn't really give us a whiff. We made a couple defensive mistakes, and they wound up in our net. That was pretty much the difference in the series...we had to battle for every goal, whereas they were gifted a couple. I guess that's what happens to a young team in the playoffs. Can't say enough about this Ottawa team though - it really does bode well for the future.

Seemed like the biggest thing we were missing was another scoring winger or two. And these are things we have in the system.

Very proud of this team. I really hope The Alfie sticks around for one more season, but if I had to place a bet, I'd say he's going to retire (mainly because of the concussion problems).

Ya...this is pretty much exactly where I'm at. For once I actually agree with Grapes- I really thought we were the better team throughout the series. A few mistakes and the Rangers capitalized. That's all it takes against a team that plays that stifling defense. I was and am really impressed with how well the Rangers stay within their system- very well coached team.
    I am really excited about the future. While I don't think we can expect Spezza and Michalek to replicate this season, I'll be watching fo Turris, Cowen, Smith, and Greening to take another step forward next season. Greening will have a reduced role but I could see him fitting in nicely on Turris' wing next year.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:31 am

They need Alfi back for one more season. He has enough left in him to get 20 and 30 and still be the leader they need and want. If they can land a big fish or two via UFA I think he comes back for one last run.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:39 am

One top line forward would make a huge difference...
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:45 am

Yeah...we were pretty much missing that one "game-breaker".

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:47 am

They should honestly throw something like 60 mil for 8 years at Parise. That's the player they need in the worst way and the player that would make them an instant contender.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:58 am

NEELY wrote:They should honestly throw something like 60 mil for 8 years at Parise. That's the player they need in the worst way and the player that would make them an instant contender.

Agreed 100%. And he plays perfect MacLean hockey...ultra-competitive, and a fantastic 2-way player with good speed. Plus he can FINISH with the best of them.

Not only do we already have need of a couple top 6 forwards, but we also have the inevitable retirement of The Alfie to consider (whether this year or next). Parise would fill that offensive void AND provide more leadership.

Anyway, it's probably a bit of a longshot, but yes, offer Parise the world.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:14 am

Here's a thought, and its just a thought since I don't have too much hopes for Parise to land in Ottawa. Murray loves the trade route, and there's no telling if this deal would make sense but I think Iginla would be a great winger to have on this team. Him and alfie could do some major damage together in the playoffs.

This however seems to me more of a deadline day scenario. The only way iginla gets traded in the off-season is to a perennial contender (with cap space).

anyways, sens played their hearts out (at least some of them did). Too many missed opportunities and yet another game 7 heartbreak. I hate that they can't win these games. How do the capitals and devils find a way to go in the opposing barn and steal a game 7?

anyways till next year, go sens go as always. I hope they can make it next season, nothing's guaranteed
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:15 am

also, here's a funny tidbit. Last time sens made the playoffs, the 6, 7, 8 teams advanced in the east. The only lower seeded team not to advance was number 5: Ottawa.

Fast forward 2 years.....only lower seeded team not to advance in the east is number 8: Ottawa
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:26 am

We would never trade for Iginla. He would be a rental player, and the price would be high. Also, he's old. He doesn't fit in with the longer term plans here.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:40 am

tim1_2 wrote:We would never trade for Iginla. He would be a rental player, and the price would be high. Also, he's old. He doesn't fit in with the longer term plans here.

Like I said, I can only see the sens trading for him next year as a rental players, meaning sens would probably have to be solid contenders in the east. He'd be worth the price of a rental for one more kick at the can.

But...not sure why I'm looking that far. I guess I feel we went into the playoffs not exactly built for a long run like Nashville was.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:37 am