(1) New York Rangers vs (8) Ottawa Senators - Playoffs Round 1

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8458
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Re: (1) New York Rangers vs (8) Ottawa Senators - Playoffs Round 1

Post by Hoff-Machine on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:15 am

also, here's a funny tidbit. Last time sens made the playoffs, the 6, 7, 8 teams advanced in the east. The only lower seeded team not to advance was number 5: Ottawa.

Fast forward 2 years.....only lower seeded team not to advance in the east is number 8: Ottawa

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16166
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:26 am

We would never trade for Iginla. He would be a rental player, and the price would be high. Also, he's old. He doesn't fit in with the longer term plans here.

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:40 am

tim1_2 wrote:We would never trade for Iginla. He would be a rental player, and the price would be high. Also, he's old. He doesn't fit in with the longer term plans here.

Like I said, I can only see the sens trading for him next year as a rental players, meaning sens would probably have to be solid contenders in the east. He'd be worth the price of a rental for one more kick at the can.

But...not sure why I'm looking that far. I guess I feel we went into the playoffs not exactly built for a long run like Nashville was.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:43 am

For the most part the Sens should stick to what's in the system. Only a couple guys you could shoot for and those guys have to be a UFA or Bobby Ryan. MAYBE Rick Nash if the price was right but he isn't worth his salary nor what CBJ wants in return for him.

Either way, Parise is Plan A, B, and C this year I would think. Penner is probably the backup.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24742
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:47 am

Michallica wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:We would never trade for Iginla. He would be a rental player, and the price would be high. Also, he's old. He doesn't fit in with the longer term plans here.

Like I said, I can only see the sens trading for him next year as a rental players, meaning sens would probably have to be solid contenders in the east. He'd be worth the price of a rental for one more kick at the can.

But...not sure why I'm looking that far. I guess I feel we went into the playoffs not exactly built for a long run like Nashville was.

I said at the deadline we were short 2 top 6 wingers to go deep. After seeing the team as it is in a playoff situation and considering everyone on the team will be one year older and wiser next time around, I believe adding Iginla would put us in contention. He'll be 35 which isn't a huge deal anymore. Specially with a player of his calibre. It would be foolish not to explore this option if it's available.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:52 am

Iginla will cost a ton. Not sure it's worth it for a year or two of service.

Perhaps going after a guy a team wants to unload for financial purposes is the way to go. Ottawa can take salary back without any trouble at all.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24742
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:07 am

NEELY wrote:Iginla will cost a ton. Not sure it's worth it for a year or two of service.

Perhaps going after a guy a team wants to unload for financial purposes is the way to go. Ottawa can take salary back without any trouble at all.

I guess. I'd be inclined to apply what it won't cost for the salary dump in question to pay a ton for Iginla, quite frankly.

So, say, you get Andy McDonald for nothing because he's a salary dump. You can afford to use the 3rd round pick or the prospect you didn't use in that deal to add to a package for young Iginla.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:08 am

my god still can't get over the chances michalek and smith had to tie up the game. Smith especially, he had two similar chances go off his stick....any luck or finish to his game and we'd be singing a different tune no doubt.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12773
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:15 am

I'm not sure Iginla is our best solution. Primarily for the price they'd be asking us to have him. I don't doubt that he could help us in many ways but they're sure to ask for our 1st, a top end prospect and a roster player(probably even michalek). If we were to part with michalek i'd expect to receive someone younger that can be here for a while.

I say we put our cash in a shoe box and get down on both knees on july 1st and hand it over to Parise. it's our best shot. who knows? maybe he'll take it.
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7422
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:34 am

NEELY wrote:For the most part the Sens should stick to what's in the system. Only a couple guys you could shoot for and those guys have to be a UFA or Bobby Ryan. MAYBE Rick Nash if the price was right but he isn't worth his salary nor what CBJ wants in return for him.

Either way, Parise is Plan A, B, and C this year I would think. Penner is probably the backup.

What can OTT legitimately trade for Nash, without giving up a guy like Michalek (which would kind of defeat the purpose, because it would mean adding one top 6er and losing another)? I mean, spitball with me here. Does OTT have the pieces to make that move, setting aside the question of whether or not Nash would actually accept a deal here?

If I'm CLB, I probably want Lehner or Bishop, and our 1st, just to start.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:15 pm

The asking price for Nash is ridiculous, they'd want Lehner and our first and I wonder how much better (if at all) would Nash be over Michalek. Michalek has a good cap hit but his actual salary over the next few years is higher.

Not so sure about Penner, he's a 3rd liner for LA right now.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47523
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:28 pm

The difference in Silfverberg from G6 to G7 was noticeable. No doubt getting over the jetlag and having an extra couple of practices made a huge difference, as well as getting the butterflies out and making adjustments for the smaller ice surface.

Now, imagine if he *didn't* hit the post on his OT penalty shot, or the other post he hit later in the same game. He would have been over 4 days sooner. Would have been over the jet-lag and would have had those two extra practices by G6. Who knows, with a 1-goal lead and Silfverberg playing like he did in G7 we may not have had a G7.

Can't wait until the Development Camp.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:24 pm