Are they crooks or grossly incompetent?

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47957
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Are they crooks or grossly incompetent?

Post by wprager on Sun May 06, 2012 8:14 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    Number Twenty Nine wrote:2 Costco extra large = $20.

2 large Little Caesar $10

Home made pizza is even cheaper, better for you and far tastier. If you have a bread maker it's a very easy meal to make.

I don't think you can beat a $7.99 large pepperoni walk-in. Unless you're buying things on sale there is no way to come even close. Grated cheese -- enough for a large, is around $7 regularly priced, and that's probably just enough to make it like the Pizza Pizz walk-in special. If you want more cheese it will be more. I usually buy it when it's reduced to $3.99 (that's either 320 or 340 grams). And there's little difference between grated and ungrated (unless you buy the brick cheese, which I find less than ideal for pizza). Anyhow, the 340g package is probably just barely enough for a large. Add in a dollar for the sauce and another for the pepperoni and you're already at $6. Making the crust yourself is time consuming; I suppose you can prepare ahead and freeze, but I think I'd just as well buy it at this point, which is probably another $2, maybe more. The part that really gets me then is the rolling out of the crust.

The time it takes is really my biggest hurdle. Saturday or Sunday afternoon, provided there are no birthday parties or hockey games/practices or anything like that. I know the kids would enjoy making their own, too. Hmm, maybe I should put that on the menu once in a while.

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13614
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Sun May 06, 2012 8:59 am

It can definitely be a fun family experience. The biggest benefit is you know exactly what is going into the dough and what is in the toppings.

I know when I was a kid my mom would give us each our own personal size pizza dough to top as we wanted. We'd get to make our own pizza which I'm sure is more time consuming and messy but it's about creating fun memories. It's something I'll definitely do with my kids when they're old enough.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Sun May 06, 2012 10:30 am

When doing pizza at home, we use those pre-made mini pizza shells from the bakery and add on all our own sauce, cheese and toppings.. super quick in the oven and you can use all fresh toppings.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20865
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Little Caesers is the worst. Worst. I'd rather eat at Arby's.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Sun May 06, 2012 12:30 pm

Big Ev wrote:Little Caesers is the worst. Worst. I'd rather eat at Arby's.

Laugh1 There are a lot of Arby's believers in this world. It surprises me. Seriously, though. Little Caesers is garbage.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun May 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Little Caesars can't be as bad as Pizza Pizza, can it? I just don't understand why the kids love it.

Thinking back to my younger days, when I was working at a summer camp in the Laurentians (mid-to-late '70s) we got this pizza from a little tiny place in St. Jerome. I must have been very hungry or it was the best pizza I ever had, because I remember eating 6 pieces of a Jumbo -- it was half the pizza. I don't think I could eat more than 3 pieces today.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Sun May 06, 2012 9:59 pm

wprager wrote:Little Caesars can't be as bad as Pizza Pizza, can it? I just don't understand why the kids love it.

Thinking back to my younger days, when I was working at a summer camp in the Laurentians (mid-to-late '70s) we got this pizza from a little tiny place in St. Jerome. I must have been very hungry or it was the best pizza I ever had, because I remember eating 6 pieces of a Jumbo -- it was half the pizza. I don't think I could eat more than 3 pieces today.

It can, and it is. Much worse. Think of the difference between Pizza Pizza (which is pretty bad pizza) and deli counter pizza from a bargain grocery store like Food Basics (which qualifies as pizza only in the most broad definitions). Little Caesers is somewhere between the two on the pizza continuum.

EDIT: This is ridiculous. I just went to LC's website to see if anything's changed since I last ate there. They have a list of signature pizzas paired with descriptions. Under "Cheese Pizza" (which is just a regular cheese pizza) they have the following explanation:

* This specialty item is offered in select markets. Contact your local Little Caesars Pizza restaurant for availability.

It's a cheese pizza! This is a pizza franchise! I'm at a loss. Facepalm

http://www.littlecaesars.ca/pizza/cheese_pizza.asp
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun May 06, 2012 10:38 pm

May I introduce you to the Cheese Shop Sketch?

Cheddar?
    - Not much call for it around these parts.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20865
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Sun May 06, 2012 11:39 pm

spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:Little Caesars can't be as bad as Pizza Pizza, can it? I just don't understand why the kids love it.

It can, and it is. Much worse. Think of the difference between Pizza Pizza (which is pretty bad pizza) and deli counter pizza from a bargain grocery store like Food Basics (which qualifies as pizza only in the most broad definitions). Little Caesers is somewhere between the two on the pizza continuum.

EDIT: This is ridiculous. I just went to LC's website to see if anything's changed since I last ate there. They have a list of signature pizzas paired with descriptions. Under "Cheese Pizza" (which is just a regular cheese pizza) they have the following explanation:

* This specialty item is offered in select markets. Contact your local Little Caesars Pizza restaurant for availability.

I think it's because it says it has Munster cheese on it, whatever that is.
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5005
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

Post by hemlock on Sun May 06, 2012 11:52 pm

spader wrote:

The problem with Little Caesar's now is that since their $5 pizza became so popular that is the focus of their business now. There are drive-thru Little Caesars here in Calgary (1 that I know of). So it's become more fast food than actual quality food. Their pizza are allegedly not even fresh. Apparently, they are frozen and delivered to the store, then cooked and put under a heat lamp.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Mon May 07, 2012 12:00 am

hemlock wrote:
    spader wrote:

The problem with Little Caesar's now is that since their $5 pizza became so popular that is the focus of their business now. There are drive-thru Little Caesars here in Calgary (1 that I know of). So it's become more fast food than actual quality food. Their pizza are allegedly not even fresh. Apparently, they are frozen and delivered to the store, then cooked and put under a heat lamp.

Ya, that was the only thing that made sense to me, that they're no longer making the pizzas in store. What a silly franchise. Oh, if you're interested, there are plenty of franchise opportunities available. Laugh1
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5005
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

Post by hemlock on Mon May 07, 2012 2:03 am

spader wrote:
    hemlock wrote:
    spader wrote:

Ya, that was the only thing that made sense to me, that they're no longer making the pizzas in store. What a silly franchise. Oh, if you're interested, there are plenty of franchise opportunities available. Laugh1

They are still profitable, and then some, but they definitely have gotten away from being a traditional pizzeria. The drive-thru store sells probably 80-90% Hot 'n Ready and the rest is the other things on the menu. This store is insanely busy. Like Tim Hortons drive-thru busy. We don't eat it often, but feeding a family of 5 for under $20 is hard to beat.

One place that is good value is Sbarro. They have a gigantic pizza (18" I think) for $10 as a walk up special. It's actually quite tasty too.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16331
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Mon May 07, 2012 7:08 am

Late to the party, but I love Willy's. I order from the one in Stittsville and have never had a bad experience. I'm not sure if I've ever ordered from one in Kanata.

Gabriel's is quite good too.

There's another good place in Stittsville: Roma Pizza.

Little Caesar's, Pizza Pizza, etc... are all a couple notches down. They are good in a pinch, but should always be a 2nd or 3rd choice.
    Number Twenty Nine
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1680
    Favorite Team : Dallas
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

Post by Number Twenty Nine on Mon May 07, 2012 8:47 am

hemlock wrote:

2 large Little Caesar 2 pieces of previously frozen cardboard $10

FYP.

Costco is pretty tight though.

I have to disagree with you on Little Caesars. Certainly miles above Pizza Pizza. A one topping large here costs $5.
    Number Twenty Nine
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Number Twenty Nine on Mon May 07, 2012 8:49 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

2 large Little Caesar $10

Home made pizza is even cheaper, better for you and far tastier. If you have a bread maker it's a very easy meal to make.

Any respectable pie maker makes their dough by hand. Hand made dough + cooked on Big Green Egg = heaven.....
    Number Twenty Nine
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Number Twenty Nine on Mon May 07, 2012 8:52 am

spader wrote:

Must be a Canada-ification then. Here in PA, LC is pretty decent. It's not hand tossed of course, but for cheap and fast it can't be beat....
    Number Twenty Nine
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Number Twenty Nine on Mon May 07, 2012 8:55 am

hemlock wrote:
    spader wrote:

Still hand made here in PA. Cooked in the same conveyor belt oven as Costco.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon May 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Number Twenty Nine wrote:
    hemlock wrote:

2 large Little Caesar 2 pieces of previously frozen cardboard $10

FYP.

Costco is pretty tight though.

I have to disagree with you on Little Caesars. Certainly miles above Pizza Pizza. A one topping large here costs $5.

Natch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:49 pm