General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by Riprock on Wed May 09, 2012 10:59 am

Sure, why not throw this out there: Steve Mason for Ilya Bryzgalov.

But anyways, it's hist first season with Philly - he could very well play lights out for the next 7-8 years.

Hard to judge other teams signing goalie to big deals that don't turn out when you are a Sens fan (see: Gerber, Martin).

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54245
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by PTFlea on Wed May 09, 2012 11:04 am

Riprock wrote:Sure, why not throw this out there: Steve Mason for Ilya Bryzgalov.

But anyways, it's hist first season with Philly - he could very well play lights out for the next 7-8 years.

Hard to judge other teams signing goalie to big deals that don't turn out when you are a Sens fan (see: Gerber, Martin).

Philly won't want Mason I don't think, but Columbus could take Bryzgalov and be okay, good call there. They'd have to send a contract back, perhaps The Wiz + Mason for Bryz? Then I assume the Flyers make another move or 2 to acquire a top pairing D + G.

Of course, this isn't a video game (or is it to Holmgren?), so that's likely not gonna happen.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Wed May 09, 2012 11:06 am

Riprock wrote:Sure, why not throw this out there: Steve Mason for Ilya Bryzgalov.

Unless they hire Dave Tippet that won't happen. Bryzgalov is and always will be a very average goaltender. It was stupid then to sign him for 9 years, it's stupid now, and it will continue to be stupid.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by Riprock on Wed May 09, 2012 11:20 am

No, but it COULD happen - goalies are a fical breed. So many variables when it comes to performance - culture, team, coaching, opportunity, etc.

For those who like to play the mentality game, I would then argue that goalies are probably the most fragile minded of the bunch.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Wed May 09, 2012 11:24 am

Bryzgalov has an NMC, good luck moving him (especially to Columbus).

I'm sure Philly will push hard for amnesty buyouts next CBA, otherwise they could do what Chicago did with Huet, loan them to a European league.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed May 09, 2012 11:29 am

Hoags wrote:Bryzgalov has an NMC, good luck moving him (especially to Columbus).

I'm sure Philly will push hard for amnesty buyouts next CBA, otherwise they could do what Chicago did with Huet, loan them to a European league.

Really? If I was him I'd say yes. Anything to get me out of the nightmare that's coming in Philly. Maybe they'll forgive him this time, but if he sucks again next year and in the playoffs....look out.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Wed May 09, 2012 11:42 am

SpezDispenser wrote:
    Really? If I was him I'd say yes. Anything to get me out of the nightmare that's coming in Philly. Maybe they'll forgive him this time, but if he sucks again next year and in the playoffs....look out.

What ? And go to a team that's not exactly swimming in money and will probably not make the playoffs in his 8 year contract ? Columbus should be dumping money not taking it on.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed May 09, 2012 11:46 am

Hoags wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:

What ? And go to a team that's not exactly swimming in money and will probably not make the playoffs in his 8 year contract ? Columbus should be dumping money not taking it on.

You do a 1 for 1 for another contract - like the Wiz for Bryz straight up. And give Columbus time to get their kitchen in order. Fire the entire management team, bring in someone like Neil Smith and let him build this team properly - and quickly. And for heaven's sake, hire a good coach. There are plenty around IMO, including Hartley, Haviland, someone who has some experience in the NHL would be a start.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Wed May 09, 2012 11:47 am

Or trade him to Edmonton.... Laughing3
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed May 09, 2012 11:49 am

Riprock wrote:Or trade him to Edmonton.... Laughing3

Munch That would be fun to watch.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed May 09, 2012 11:51 am

Yeah, Bryz won't wind up in Columbus. The Blue Jackets need to be more careful about how they spend their budget, and Bryz does not fit into that mold.

I think Bryz will get another shot in Philly. And all hell might break loose.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed May 09, 2012 12:06 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, Bryz won't wind up in Columbus. The Blue Jackets need to be more careful about how they spend their budget, and Bryz does not fit into that mold.

I think Bryz will get another shot in Philly. And all hell might break loose.

Might break loose? Look out IMO. They'll be a mob after him soon.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Wed May 09, 2012 12:11 pm

Wisniewski for Bryz might work but Wisniewski isn't a top pairing D-man although he's paid like one.

Bryz is no different than Mason for Columbus, no idea why they'd want him. That will give them 2 overpaid headcase goalies.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20773
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed May 09, 2012 12:12 pm

Bryzgalov was the Flyers best player in the 2nd round. Their team stunk.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Wed May 09, 2012 12:19 pm

Big Ev wrote:Bryzgalov was the Flyers best player in the 2nd round. Their team stunk.

He's terrible, even if he's playing well you know he'll implode at some point. He'll never ever be worth that contract, not even close.

Per Chesnokov:

Russia will not call up #Flyers Bryzgalov for the Worlds. They are sticking with #Avs Varlamov, according to Tretiak.

Tretiak added the coaching staff will call Bryzgalov to explain the situation as a phone call "to show respect" per Tretiak.

Even his home country doesn't want him.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed May 09, 2012 12:44 pm

^ That's bad news, holy Dung. Laugh1
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed May 09, 2012 12:46 pm

Hoags wrote:
    Big Ev wrote:Bryzgalov was the Flyers best player in the 2nd round. Their team stunk.

He's terrible, even if he's playing well you know he'll implode at some point. He'll never ever be worth that contract, not even close.

Per Chesnokov:

Russia will not call up #Flyers Bryzgalov for the Worlds. They are sticking with #Avs Varlamov, according to Tretiak.

Tretiak added the coaching staff will call Bryzgalov to explain the situation as a phone call "to show respect" per Tretiak.

Bryz is not terrible. He had a couple stretches this year where he played quite well. Obviously he made a couple bad plays in the playoffs which will be remembered for a long time. People often tell me that Lalime was a good goalie, but all I can remember is that game 7 versus the Leafs.

Bryz went 33-16-7, had a 2.48 GAA and a .908 save %, and 6 shutouts. On a team with some holes on D at various points in the season. He's not a terrible goalie, and he's not as good as some thought. And, yes, he can be streaky.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20773
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed May 09, 2012 12:48 pm

Hoags wrote:

Per Chesnokov:

They don't need him, Varlamov is a good goalie. Why put in a goalie who just finished his playoffs yesterday and had a poor performance?

He'll never be worth his contract but the amount of hate he gets is ridiculous. That "blunder" was as much Timonen's fault as his. The Flyers D is among the worst in the league as far as I'm concerned. Put some good D around him and he will be a better goalie (true for all goalies).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:34 am