General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24760
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu May 10, 2012 1:59 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Now Menzies on the other hand... dude is off his rocker...

I wonder how he feels about being bullied on account of stupidity...because I think he's going to find out.

Remember when Bania gave Jerry that suit and wanted a meal at Menzies as payment. Then he kept ordering soup to get Jerry to keep bringing him to Menzies. Laughing3 Laugh1

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16256
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by tim1_2 on Thu May 10, 2012 2:20 pm

The best:

http://deadspin.com/5909246/reconstructing-patrick-kanes-drunken-weekend-in-madison#13366738295941&{"type":"powwowLoaded"}

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu May 10, 2012 2:30 pm

tim1_2 wrote:The best:

http://deadspin.com/5909246/reconstructing-patrick-kanes-drunken-weekend-in-madison#13366738295941&{"type":"powwowLoaded"}

Drinks beer like a girl, evidently. Laugh1 Laughing3
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by tim1_2 on Thu May 10, 2012 2:50 pm

His shirt apparently had a picture of his drunken self on the back. What. A. Character.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu May 10, 2012 2:55 pm

tim1_2 wrote:His shirt apparently had a picture of his drunken self on the back. What. A. Character.

The one which says "Kaner" on the back of it?
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu May 10, 2012 2:56 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:His shirt apparently had a picture of his drunken self on the back. What. A. Character.

That's the one!

This guy reminds me of me, if I were rich.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu May 10, 2012 2:58 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

That's the one!

This guy reminds me of me, if I were rich.

Same here. Cheers Except for those weak-Donkey shoes he has.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by Riprock on Thu May 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Menzies as out of line writing the article, however, if his intent was to have people talking about him, it worked. Negative press is press after all.

Sometimes the best writings are controversial, and as a philosopher I know all about that.

His argumentis: why is it that homosexual victims of bullying are more important than victims of bullying period.

However, that is not what Burke is advocating. Since he has a personal connection to the issue - having a happy son who died in an unrelated accident, it has affected him personally.

The other issue is that in professional sports, where the athletes are seen as macho and tough, etc, it comes with a stereotype that gays are effeminate. And unfortunately some people are uncomfortable sharing a lockerroom with gays.

We know that it is not just sexual orientation that is cause for bullying in the NHL, but so are religion and ethnicity. Look no further than Jason Bailey claiming he was prejudiced against because he was Jewish, or Joel Ward and Wayne Simmonds in recent years being victimized by racial slurs.

I agree that bullying is bullying and it is serious, no matter the reason or cause, but it doesn't excuse Menzies for attacking Burke because he chose to defend and raise awareness for homosexuals in sports. And why not also attack the others involved in the We Can Play campaign? It seems to be more of a personal attack at Burke and not the cause.

This is also like when a celebrity is afflicted personally or knows someone suffering from X and raises money for X. People criticize them for not funding Y or Z also. I.e. Michael J. Fox and Parkinsons, or Christopher Reeves and paralysis. People actually attacked them for doing it selfishly because they only cared once they were afflicted by it.

Like they say - you can't please everyone. Should they really donate money to every type of medical research ever?
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7422
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Thu May 10, 2012 4:17 pm

Riprock wrote:Menzies as out of line writing the article, however, if his intent was to have people talking about him, it worked. Negative press is press after all.

Sometimes the best writings are controversial, and as a philosopher I know all about that.

His argumentis: why is it that homosexual victims of bullying are more important than victims of bullying period.

However, that is not what Burke is advocating. Since he has a personal connection to the issue - having a happy son who died in an unrelated accident, it has affected him personally.

The other issue is that in professional sports, where the athletes are seen as macho and tough, etc, it comes with a stereotype that gays are effeminate. And unfortunately some people are uncomfortable sharing a lockerroom with gays.

We know that it is not just sexual orientation that is cause for bullying in the NHL, but so are religion and ethnicity. Look no further than Jason Bailey claiming he was prejudiced against because he was Jewish, or Joel Ward and Wayne Simmonds in recent years being victimized by racial slurs.

I agree that bullying is bullying and it is serious, no matter the reason or cause, but it doesn't excuse Menzies for attacking Burke because he chose to defend and raise awareness for homosexuals in sports. And why not also attack the others involved in the We Can Play campaign? It seems to be more of a personal attack at Burke and not the cause.

This is also like when a celebrity is afflicted personally or knows someone suffering from X and raises money for X. People criticize them for not funding Y or Z also. I.e. Michael J. Fox and Parkinsons, or Christopher Reeves and paralysis. People actually attacked them for doing it selfishly because they only cared once they were afflicted by it.

Like they say - you can't please everyone. Should they really donate money to every type of medical research ever?

TBH, the whole article reads more like an oblique stab at Obama, in light of his pronouncement in favour of happy marriages yesterday.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Thu May 10, 2012 4:23 pm

I still can't believe there is an issue with it. It's like the 60s all over again.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Thu May 10, 2012 7:23 pm

The Flyers and Comcast are such greedy bastards....

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/why-philadelphia-fans-suing-flyers-over-winter-classic-180733015.html

So, as per any season ticket agreement, Flyers fans paid for 44 games a year (41 regular season games + 3 pre-season games). Nothing unusual about that... except this year the Flyers charged STH for all 44 games except they took back the Winter Classic game and told them they could buy it back for an additional $394. So this one guy that successfully sued Comcast was paying $95/ticket x4 (4 STH packages) and for the Winter Classic he would have paid $95+$394 (to go, or $95 not to go).

His successful legal action has now resulted in other fans filing a class-action suit. Hope they all win.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Thu May 10, 2012 7:48 pm

Holmgren not amused with The Bryz...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/05/10/flyers_gm_holmgren_bryzgalov/

"His job is to stop pucks and help us win games," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said. "It's not Comedy Central."

Heh heh.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20775
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Thu May 10, 2012 9:46 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
    Riprock wrote:Menzies as out of line writing the article, however, if his intent was to have people talking about him, it worked. Negative press is press after all.

TBH, the whole article reads more like an oblique stab at Obama, in light of his pronouncement in favour of happy marriages yesterday.

The article was written in March.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Thu May 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Big Ev wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:

Yeah, funny that the noise is all being raised now... I guess no one really reads his crap anyway...
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12928
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Thu May 10, 2012 11:31 pm

Bruce Boudreau get's a 2 year extension in Anaheim. how long was carlyle brought in to toronto for?
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7422
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Fri May 11, 2012 7:37 am

Big Ev wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:

LOL, oops. Still begs the question as to why it was drawn to our attention the day after the President comes out in favour of happy marriage.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri May 11, 2012 8:01 am

It is odd... that article has been out there for a while...
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri May 11, 2012 10:11 am

Canada vs Finland today... 1pm... TSN has it...

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=395638

Kaz is playing the US right now...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:11 am