General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47523
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by wprager on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:18 am

Riprock wrote:This seems like a conversation for another thread lol.

I dunno, at one point NEELY talked about visiting hospitals -- that's injuries. A few factoids were also mentioned.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47523
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by wprager on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:34 am

Happy MF's day!

rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7422
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:53 am

There's another top-4 lefty D who the Sens might want to consider:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/calgary-flames/Johnson+Bouwmeester+most+likely+dealt+draft/6791574/story.html

Overpaid by about $2 mil, granted, but he's only got 2 years left on that deal and would make an excellent, steady partner for Karlsson. Probably could be had for relatively cheap considering how overpaid he is, too.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:06 am

Remember all the hype around Bouwmeester? Never seen the post season... never been on a winning team... but he skates well. Career high of 15 goals on the Panthers back in '08/'09 and '07/'08. Has not seen north of 5 since.

Do we think he'd be a good fit for the Sens?

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:43 am

Jbo... esssh. Probably cost more than anyone is willing to pay and if there was a defined loser in the NHL, it's him. Unless it's a Smith type deal than I wouldn't do it.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12773
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:53 am

shabbs wrote:Remember all the hype around Bouwmeester? Never seen the post season... never been on a winning team... but he skates well. Career high of 15 goals on the Panthers back in '08/'09 and '07/'08. Has not seen north of 5 since.

Yes he is overpaid but I think he'd be an excellent partner for karlsson. He's got good speed and is very sound defensively. And who knows? Maybe he can regain some of his offensive capability under Mac. I think he might come at a good price too.
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by rooneypoo on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:54 am

NEELY wrote:Jbo... esssh. Probably cost more than anyone is willing to pay and if there was a defined loser in the NHL, it's him. Unless it's a Smith type deal than I wouldn't do it.

I tend to think the opposite. JBo is grossly overpaid and CGY is in desperate need of some cap relief. Something like Foligno, a 3rd, and a middling prospect would probably get it done.

JBo would insulate Karlsson nicely, and he can skate with him. That pairing could play 25+ minutes a night. You don't want him on PP1, but he would be an upgrade on Phillips on PP2.

If the price is right, I would consider it strongly. Obviously, tho', no first rounders, and no top-end prospects.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54137
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:19 am

If the price is right to acquire him maybe, but he's an underachiever to say the least. Minute muncher for sure though.

sandysensfan
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 3187
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

Post by sandysensfan on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:33 pm

shabbs wrote:Remember all the hype around Bouwmeester? Never seen the post season... never been on a winning team... but he skates well. Career high of 15 goals on the Panthers back in '08/'09 and '07/'08. Has not seen north of 5 since.

He plays for Calgary.. that would hurt any player stats wise..
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:33 pm

Yeah, really. Not sure why they'd dump him right now anyway if they're not burning it to the ground.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:36 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:If the price is right to acquire him maybe, but he's an underachiever to say the least. Minute muncher for sure though.
    I think he's only an underachiever if you take his cap hit into account. He's a big minute player, solid defensively and gifted offensively (when he shows it). I have to wonder how much did his style change under Brent Suter. You have to think Mac can bring some of that offensive upsides back. He's quite the beast.

This is almost the best scenario for us. Gives Calgary cap relief.
    I think we can Easily go : foligno, gryba/dawg/Butler and a 4rth or 5th for JayBo.

Foligno has a certain amount of value that shouldn't be underestimated
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:38 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:Yeah, really. Not sure why they'd dump him right now anyway if they're not burning it to the ground.
    Because in true Calgary fashion they shed salary in order to overpay for another underachieving FA..?
    dennycrane
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2121
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

Post by dennycrane on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:40 pm

6.6 for JayBo is too much. If it was a straight hockey deal (i.e. no money), I think the Sens would be interested but the salary is prohibitive.

I think the Sens may go after Cam Barker if he is not qualified by the Oilers. Apparently Murray has asked about him in the past and could be had for next to nothing.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:42 pm

I would take Ballard over JBo any day of the week. It's not even close.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:44 pm

dennycrane wrote:6.6 for JayBo is too much. If it was a straight hockey deal (i.e. no money), I think the Sens would be interested but the salary is prohibitive.

I think the Sens may go after Cam Barker if he is not qualified by the Oilers. Apparently Murray has asked about him in the past and could be had for next to nothing.
    6.6 ok, but Gonchar is off the books next year. Cap wise it's no problem for us. I seriously think the guy could bounce back in ottawa. His age and health aren't an issue.
    I don't really want to bring Campbell as a comparative but as far as a player being paid too much but being a great asset to his team I think there's a comparative.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:44 pm

I think if we sit tight, we may get some good offers as we got lots of cap space and teams will be dumping later in the off-season (if) once the new cap is announced. We're in a good position to be able to take some salary on without having to send much back.

J-Bo just seems like the wrong kind of D-man for us, Hammer would be better. Not sure how Calgary can trade J-Bo anyway, who's going to play his minutes there ?
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by rooneypoo on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:47 pm

dennycrane wrote:6.6 for JayBo is too much. If it was a straight hockey deal (i.e. no money), I think the Sens would be interested but the salary is prohibitive.

If it comes to that, I'd prefer that BM skate up himself and take that 3rd spot on the left side. Cam Barker is utterly useless.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:47 pm

NEELY wrote:I would take Ballard over JBo any day of the week. It's not even close.
    \
    \More competition for him though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:24 pm