General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Share

    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by Hoags on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:44 pm

    I think if we sit tight, we may get some good offers as we got lots of cap space and teams will be dumping later in the off-season (if) once the new cap is announced. We're in a good position to be able to take some salary on without having to send much back.

    J-Bo just seems like the wrong kind of D-man for us, Hammer would be better. Not sure how Calgary can trade J-Bo anyway, who's going to play his minutes there ?

    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by rooneypoo on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:47 pm

    dennycrane wrote:6.6 for JayBo is too much. If it was a straight hockey deal (i.e. no money), I think the Sens would be interested but the salary is prohibitive.

    I think the Sens may go after Cam Barker if he is not qualified by the Oilers. Apparently Murray has asked about him in the past and could be had for next to nothing.

    If it comes to that, I'd prefer that BM skate up himself and take that 3rd spot on the left side. Cam Barker is utterly useless.

    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54137
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by PTFlea on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:47 pm

    NEELY wrote:I would take Ballard over JBo any day of the week. It's not even close.
    \
    \More competition for him though.

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by NEELY on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:48 pm

    Hoags wrote:I think if we sit tight, we may get some good offers as we got lots of cap space and teams will be dumping later in the off-season (if) once the new cap is announced. We're in a good position to be able to take some salary on without having to send much back.

    J-Bo just seems like the wrong kind of D-man for us, Hammer would be better. Not sure how Calgary can trade J-Bo anyway, who's going to play his minutes there ?

    JBo bings nothing except a guy that plats 20-25 easy mins in terms of the way he plays. No risk, no physicality, doesn't really excel in his own end, but he skates well. That's what you are getting, a D man getting close to 7 mil because he skates well and will score the occasional goal.

    The guy is a loser, the biggest in NHL history.
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 37
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by rooneypoo on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:48 pm

    NEELY wrote:I would take Ballard over JBo any day of the week. It's not even close.

    I think they're pretty comparable, to be honest. JBo is, unquestionably, overpaid, but he is used to playing bigger minutes that Ballard and is at least as gifted offensively.

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by NEELY on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:50 pm

    rooneypoo wrote:
    NEELY wrote:I would take Ballard over JBo any day of the week. It's not even close.

    I think they're pretty comparable, to be honest. JBo is, unquestionably, overpaid, but he is used to playing bigger minutes that Ballard and is at least as gifted offensively.

    Maybe, but Ballard has actually played in an NHL playoff game over the last decade and will actually play with some sort of passion. I can't stand JBo after seeing what he is/has become in Calgary. I call Spezza a loser a lot, this guy makes Spezza look like Messier.
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 37
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by rooneypoo on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:51 pm

    Hoags wrote:I think if we sit tight, we may get some good offers as we got lots of cap space and teams will be dumping later in the off-season (if) once the new cap is announced. We're in a good position to be able to take some salary on without having to send much back.

    J-Bo just seems like the wrong kind of D-man for us, Hammer would be better. Not sure how Calgary can trade J-Bo anyway, who's going to play his minutes there ?

    How? Both are top-4 guys, both more defensive than offensive minded, and both with some offensive skill. I'd also prefer Hjalmarsson (because of his cap hit, his contract, and his age alone), but I don't see a lot else that divides them. They are, at any rate, more alike than they are different.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24742
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:54 pm

    My sources tell me that the team that gets Iginla has to take young J-Bo. Stay tuned.
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 37
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by rooneypoo on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:54 pm

    NEELY wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    NEELY wrote:I would take Ballard over JBo any day of the week. It's not even close.

    I think they're pretty comparable, to be honest. JBo is, unquestionably, overpaid, but he is used to playing bigger minutes that Ballard and is at least as gifted offensively.

    Maybe, but Ballard has actually played in an NHL playoff game over the last decade and will actually play with some sort of passion. I can't stand JBo after seeing what he is/has become in Calgary. I call Spezza a loser a lot, this guy makes Spezza look like Messier.

    That is a different but, I grant, an important consideration. I don't know him well enough to comment on his committedness or his drive to win. At the same time, he has played with two pretty bad franchises.

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by NEELY on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:56 pm

    He's also about as anti-social on and off the ice as you can get. One of the biggest individuals in the game. A weird guy who plays hockey at one speed at all times. Would be a huge mistake to trade for him in general, not a guy I would bring into a young locker room, ever.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24742
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:57 pm

    NEELY wrote:He's also about as anti-social on and off the ice as you can get. One of the biggest individuals in the game. A weird guy who plays hockey at one speed at all times. Would be a huge mistake to trade for him in general, not a guy I would bring into a young locker room, ever.

    Hehe. Quite a character for sure. Keeps the fellas loose.
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10037
    Age : 37
    Location : La Loche, Saskatchewan
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by spader on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:02 pm

    rooneypoo wrote:
    dennycrane wrote:6.6 for JayBo is too much. If it was a straight hockey deal (i.e. no money), I think the Sens would be interested but the salary is prohibitive.

    I think the Sens may go after Cam Barker if he is not qualified by the Oilers. Apparently Murray has asked about him in the past and could be had for next to nothing.

    If it comes to that, I'd prefer that BM skate up himself and take that 3rd spot on the left side. Cam Barker is utterly useless.

    Ya, Barker's pretty horrawful. No thanks.

    sandysensfan
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 3187
    Age : 65
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by sandysensfan on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:15 pm

    SeawaySensFan wrote:My sources tell me that the team that gets Iginla has to take young J-Bo. Stay tuned.

    How many more years do you think that Iginla has left?
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 37
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by rooneypoo on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:16 pm

    spader wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    dennycrane wrote:6.6 for JayBo is too much. If it was a straight hockey deal (i.e. no money), I think the Sens would be interested but the salary is prohibitive.

    I think the Sens may go after Cam Barker if he is not qualified by the Oilers. Apparently Murray has asked about him in the past and could be had for next to nothing.

    If it comes to that, I'd prefer that BM skate up himself and take that 3rd spot on the left side. Cam Barker is utterly useless.

    Ya, Barker's pretty horrawful. No thanks.

    Seriously, dude can't cut in on the bottom pairing, on the worst blueline of the NHL's worst team? How is he an option for any team at this point?
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24742
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:38 pm

    sandysensfan wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:My sources tell me that the team that gets Iginla has to take young J-Bo. Stay tuned.

    How many more years do you think that Iginla has left?

    4 - 5
    avatar
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 11867
    Age : 33
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by Riprock on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:37 am

    Sammy Pahlsson is leaving the NHL - going to sign with MODO. Really, really good 3rd line PKer, F/O guy and checking forward.
    avatar
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 9235
    Age : 40
    Location : Mississauga
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by Hoags on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:57 am

    rooneypoo wrote:
    I think they're pretty comparable, to be honest. JBo is, unquestionably, overpaid, but he is used to playing bigger minutes that Ballard and is at least as gifted offensively.

    Ballard is more physical, he actually throws hits.

    Melnyk would never approve J-Bo's contract on this team anyway.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24742
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:59 am

    rooneypoo wrote:
    spader wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    dennycrane wrote:6.6 for JayBo is too much. If it was a straight hockey deal (i.e. no money), I think the Sens would be interested but the salary is prohibitive.

    I think the Sens may go after Cam Barker if he is not qualified by the Oilers. Apparently Murray has asked about him in the past and could be had for next to nothing.

    If it comes to that, I'd prefer that BM skate up himself and take that 3rd spot on the left side. Cam Barker is utterly useless.

    Ya, Barker's pretty horrawful. No thanks.

    Seriously, dude can't cut in on the bottom pairing, on the worst blueline of the NHL's worst team? How is he an option for any team at this point?

    According to the Edmonton Journal, Cam Barker will not even get a qualifying offer from Edmonton.

    Sponsored content

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:19 pm