rileysutherland
    Prospect
    Prospect

Number of posts : 2
    Favorite Team : Montreal
    Registration date : 2012-06-13

Hockey's Worst Year

Post by rileysutherland on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Seemed like this season would never end. Couldn't even watch the finals. The game is unwatchable. The announcers are too tied to the players. No one knows what a clean hit is. AND the Habs are a farce. Here's a good take/post-mortem on a horrific season for hockey, on the ice and off of the ice: thebarnstormer.com/hockeys-worst-year/
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10037
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Re: Hockey's Worst Year

Post by spader on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:43 pm

Interesting.
    sens4win
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1498
    Registration date : 2010-01-03

Post by sens4win on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Karlsson's best year.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:31 am

I enjoyed this past season.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:36 am

Depends on your perspective. Yeah, there was a ton of off-ice stuff that overshadowed the game at times, and yeah, league discipline and headshots continued to be a prevailing topic.

As a Sens fan though, there were so many great moments, and the season was beyond what most reasonable people expectedhard to call it hockey's worst year.

You say in your post that "the Habs are a farce"so I'm going to guess that you are a Habs fan and were obviously frustrated and bitter all year. As it should have been.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:38 am

Not sure what people expect from a game that is played by grown men. Accept it for what it is.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54243
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:40 am

With all due respect to the people who died, I also enjoyed this season.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:56 am

I will agree that this season was just an absolute head scratcher with regards to the reffing and suspensions. No suspension for the hit on winchester (or penalty), chris neil gets a penalty for getting speared, refs influencing the decision for so many games (many sens games, including game 6 @ home, not to mention game 6 of the cup finals).

I'm hoping the next cba can introduce a coach's challenge....its high time now. And make the refs more accountable. Can't do much in the way of shanahan being more consistent...
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:24 am

Michallica wrote:I will agree that this season was just an absolute head scratcher with regards to the reffing and suspensions. No suspension for the hit on winchester (or penalty), chris neil gets a penalty for getting speared, refs influencing the decision for so many games (many sens games, including game 6 @ home, not to mention game 6 of the cup finals).

I'm hoping the next cba can introduce a coach's challenge....its high time now. And make the refs more accountable. Can't do much in the way of shanahan being more consistent...

I've said it before, and I'll tout it here again. The NFL has a weekly show on the NFL Network, where the head official goes through some controversial calls from the past week, describes the rationale behind why certain calls were made/not made, and then discusses whether the on-field refs got it right. I would LOVE to see the NHL adopt this idea. It wouldn't necessarily change anything, other than perhaps giving fans some satisfaction in knowing that certain calls were right or wrong. It would also publicly expose refs who consistently get things wrongwhich is why the refs' union would hate this and do everything to oppose it.

And, hey, it'd be entertaining!
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47671
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:40 pm

We have "C'mon Ref" or whatever that column is called. Maybe next year Fraser takes his gig on the air.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47671
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:47 pm

rileysutherland wrote:Seemed like this season would never end. Couldn't even watch the finals. The game is unwatchable. The announcers are too tied to the players. No one knows what a clean hit is. AND the Habs are a farce. Here's a good take/post-mortem on a horrific season for hockey, on the ice and off of the ice: thebarnstormer.com/hockeys-worst-year/

Welcome to the board.

As a Habs fan, though, you must admit it's great to finally see Gauthier and Martin gone. They seen to be mostly doing the right moves now. I'm still scratching my head about Therrien -- I was scratching it the first time they hired him, too. For the record, I lived in Montreal from '75 to '95. The current team bears no resemblance to those teams of the 70s and 80s and early '90s.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:49 pm

wprager wrote:We have "C'mon Ref" or whatever that column is called. Maybe next year Fraser takes his gig on the air.

Now Fraser is just a media-schmuck...It'd be nice to have some accountability by those employed as referees.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:13 pm

wprager wrote:We have "C'mon Ref" or whatever that column is called. Maybe next year Fraser takes his gig on the hair.

Wow that's how I read your post Laughing3
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10037
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:48 pm

Michallica wrote:I will agree that this season was just an absolute head scratcher with regards to the reffing and suspensions. No suspension for the hit on winchester (or penalty), chris neil gets a penalty for getting speared, refs influencing the decision for so many games (many sens games, including game 6 @ home, not to mention game 6 of the cup finals).

Apparently some of the GMs don't want a challenge because of the way that the cameras are set up in each arena. Some are much better than others, putting the owners of the better systems at greater risk of getting more penalties against them in their home games. Of course, that goes both ways (they'd also be able to challenge more confidently, knowing that their video setup will catch whatever infraction they want to challenge), but it still makes them more vulnerable than a team with a terrible setup.

That was the dissent that was reported the last time this issue came up.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:02 pm

spader wrote:

Apparently some of the GMs don't want a challenge because of the way that the cameras are set up in each arena. Some are much better than others, putting the owners of the better systems at greater risk of getting more penalties against them in their home games. Of course, that goes both ways (they'd also be able to challenge more confidently, knowing that their video setup will catch whatever infraction they want to challenge), but it still makes them more vulnerable than a team with a terrible setup.

That was the dissent that was reported the last time this issue came up.

Sense that does not make.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:59 am